Posts by Pre-Amp

Hi Everyone,
    I've been more 'active' on the forum in the last few days and lo and behold I got a blue star. Yay, lucky me. As with many other stella members my star has faded now. :(
    I can't see the 'point' anymore!
    ;)
    Pre-Amp

Goodness me cheapjapcopy, how many hands have you got? With all those guitars, I reckon you must have at least eighteen. :)
    A warm welcome to Kemperland.
    Kind regards
    Pre-Amp

Hi MKB,
    Thanks for you reply. Apologies for the latency sentence in my post. I did find you first post interesting though. It's good to know you didn't notice any difference in latency :)
    I have a JTV 59 tobacco sunburst. I do want to keep my set up simple, I really like the Kemper Remote, but can see how using a HD 500 to control the Variax models and tunings would help in live situations. So I am seeking opinions and experienced from others before shelling out any cash on another piece of gear to add to my set up!
    Finally, apologies as I have rather
    hijacked this thread.
    Very kind regards.
    Pre-Amp
    :)

Hi The Wolf.
    when you use acoustic models on you JTV69, which rigs do you use on the Kemper? I would like to make more use of these models live but always feel a bit removed from them when I use them in rehearsals. I tend to try them out but end up reverting to my acoustic at gigs.
    Any help here would be appreciated.
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

Thanks for your reply again!
    Have you ever linked the HD500 to the Kemper via SPDIF connection. I read another thread where another Kemper user was doing this. He said he thought it gave the models a little more clarity and slightly less latency as the Variax signal remained in the digital domain right up to the first block in the signal chain. This would reduce the number of digital to analogue and then back to
    digital conversions going on. In theory, I suppose there is only the final digital to analogue conversion at the output section, but I'm not 100% sure about that!
    What do you think?
    Kind regards
    Pre-Amp

Hi Sash,
    Thanks for your reply. If you are using Performance Mode on the Kemper via the remote, is it not possible just to send a CC message for the next patch on the HD500 regardless of the fact there are only four rig pedals on the pod?
    This would just organise it's patches in the right order in relation to the Kemper.
    I remeber doing something similar when I used a GT 10 as a very basic midi controller before I had the remote.
    I remember naming rigs and getting them to match up on the displays was a bit of a pain!
    Cheers
    Pre-Amp

Hello Everyone.
    Has anyone here used the HD500 for it's VDI input only? Using the patches to store Variax model and tuning settings. Pod connected to Kemper via SPDIF re amp mode.
    I am interested in finding out if anyone
    has the KPR and is using it to send midi messages to the pod from the Kemper to use those patches while in
    performance mode? I can see the POD is a good midi controller but I bought
    a remote for it's ease of use.
    I am curious because I'd like to automate model and tuning selection on my Variax without undoing all the work I've done to make the remote work with my set up.
    Kind regards
    Pre-Amp

Thanks for your thoughts Viabcroce.
    I don't want too many cables etc either. I already have the remote though and like using it live.
    Having the VDI capabilities of the pod would be a luxury. I'm not sure if the Pod has full midi capability (though I think MKB said it is midi programmable). I'd only change my current set up if I could be sure the I could still use Performance mode, if I could use
    the expression pedal on the pod to control morphing and keep any extra
    cabling to a minimum. I like the fact I don't need a power lead for the KPR. It's display is better too.
    What I really want is the Variax VDI interface in a small box (midi
    controlled) that I could link up with the
    Kemper via SPDIF. It would need a
    few patch slots to assign models and tunings only.
    This will never happen though, as there
    would be a very limited market for such a device.
    I shall ponder the options as I manually select models and tunings at the moment so it's not a necessity to change. The thread just got me thinking about having everything reset at the touch of a button. Which would save valuable seconds during gigs,
    thus improving song transitions.
    I suppose I'd have one more power lead, two midi cables and a SPDIF cable to plug in. So two more mins to set up and break down.
    If a pod comes up really cheap I might give it a go and see if it's really that much better as MBK claims in his first post.
    Cheers for now.
    Pre-Amp

Thanks for your reply Viabcroce.
    So, if I am in Performance Slot 1 on the Kemper, selected by the remote, with the JTV plugged into the HD500, I'd surely have to control the patch on the HD500 from the Kemper via Midi.
    Performance Slot one sends CC message to the pod to select the correct patch for the guitar model and tuning from the Variax.
    I also assume I could still connect my Strat to the main input on the Kemper when required as this input takes precedent over all others.
    I've always wanted to improve the interaction of the Variax with the Kemper, (not that it's bad or anything) so doing this via the POD is an interesting option especially if
    (as Viabcroce wrote) Clean Sense is still
    available. MKB mentioned that the
    Reamp input setting loses some other
    Kemper features, which would these be?
    I'd interested if anyone with the HD500 and the Kemper remote has set up
    this way especially when playing live.
    I assume, as the Variax stays digital all the way to the Kempers SPDIF input, that any latency would be reduced to minimum with the only digital to analogue conversion taking place at the Kemper end.
    I wioild then build a rack to store the pod just below the Kemper with connections all made to save setup time.
    Thanks for the answers so far.
    Have a great day!
    Pre-Amp

Hi Everyone.
    This is an interesting thread. I have a question to add to the mix. Would it be possible to connect the JTV to a HD500 and then to the Kemper as described above with SPDIF, but control the whole setup from a KPR? Would this work as a live set up?
    I assume (as I don't own one) that the HD500 could recieve CC messages via midi? This would allow for JTV models and tunings to be programmed into the HD500 avoiding manual changes during the set while Performances, Morphing
    and other KPR/KPA features being controlled in the normal way. Just a couple more leads to plug in.
    Is this possible or am I in dreamland?
    Cheers!
    Pre-Amp

Hi Everyone,
    It's a busy world! Perhaps people are reading more and posting less. I definitely do that. Not that I'm anywhere near 7000+ posts!
    I take the Kemper as it comes. I believe that all users benefit from the developments that have occurred since day one. People will disagree over what they think should be done next. CK and his team will decide, they know best the capability of the hardware.
    To me it is obvious that they want to
    provide the best user experience and feature set as possible. Who in their position wouldn't? They have chosen to develop morphing delays and reverbs recently,
    They may well return to profiling improvements later, who knows? At least product development FW updates
    and new features keep being delivered, for free. We can all get frustrated with what we want but don't have.
    Whenever I feel like that I remind myself that when I bought my first proper guitar I didn't have an amp, I had no FX, yet I was convinced I could make a good sound by touching the headstock on the wooden frame of my metal sprung bunk
    bed. Indeed, I could get quite a decent spring reverb effect out of it!
    Now I gaze in wonder at the little green box that creates all manner of glorious noise with that very same guitar.
    I welcome all new developments
    regardless of their direct use to me, I am, after all, only one customer.
    Peace
    Pre-Amp