Posts by Pre-Amp

Try The Amp Factory (TAF). Andy has loads of different packs to suit most needs. I find them to be pretty well balanced in general. Still use some of the first profiles I bought from him including the 1964 Copper AC30. Ok, it’s not exactly high gain, but a great sounding amp profile.
    Happy New Year

Pre-Amp

Dear Burkard,
    Thanks for reminding me of the definition of a Rig. ?

As I tend to use commercial Profiles in many cases, I was erring to caution by suggesting sharing the FX chain only. I thought sharing rigs produced by third party commercial profilers was not allowed.
    That is why I suggested tagging that indicated what sort of profile would suit that FX chain to complete the rig. If someone produces a signature sound including a non-commercial profile, of course it could just go on the Rig Exchange.
    Other members could just grab the chain from that Rig, even if they don’t want to use that profile. Maybe this is a way to do use Rig exchange for FX chains. Members attach their chain to a basic agreed free Rig and agreed tagging to help sort it all.
    Just thinking out loud really....

Now can someone please explain what this plank of wood with six strings and all these buttons and knobs is for? I think it’s called a geetarr or something like that...

?

Cheers

Pre-Amp

Interesting thread this one.
    There may be some scope for having an FX chains section, where members could share FX chains they have arranged/programmed/dialed in for specific songs/styles/textures.
    Yes, this is bound to be subjective (just like the rig exchange) but for people trying to nail particular artists sounds, it might provide a better than average starting point.
    The FX chains would need some form of reliable tagging so that they don’t become a huge jumble of nonsense.
    Those tags should include:-

Profile Type e.g. Marshall JCM 800
    Pick up type intended by the author

Morph settings eg boost, gain, delay tails

Artist signature sound

Original sound (by genre/amp type)

If those chains could include the morphed parameters, that might be quite a powerful tool to get into a sound’s ball park.
    There could be different sections that address different styles and or genres and amp types.
    It would keep all these useful tools in one central place, via Rig Manager and save searching through the forum for something on a page from 2014 or some other time.
    I can see why countless versions of members MXR comp tweaks might be a tedious trawl though presets when it would be quicker to tweak a compressor slot yourself. However, I for one have spent hours fine tuning FX chains to achieve some of the tones I use. Some of them might just save someone else a big headache.
    Cheers

Pre -AMP

It’s my guess that Rippin has five legs. One to stand on and four more to control his expression pedals. I think this stands to reason and explains why he doesn’t need to look down.

Pre-Amp

Only kidding....?

Hi,

Apologies for such a basic noob question. How are you guys connecting your Kemper to your computer to allow Reaper to interface with it and send all those midi control messages?
    Being able to play without having to tap dance would be really great in a duo when I have to sing, play, loop and do back flips etc. (Ok, the back flips are a fib but how cool would that be?)

I assume I need som midi cables etc but do they plug in direct to the pc? Is there any other software involved! I assume that midiMonitor 1.3 is a plug-in?

I have the remote for live use in a band situation but I’ve been producing various backing tracks that I am considering using in my duo. As we’d be tied to the backing sequence, I reckon automated switching could make performing much easier? Or am I dreaming?

Cheers

Pre-Amp

Hi Tom Sawyer,

Welcome to the forum.

All I’d add to the excellent posts above is the following:-

If you are using Windows 10 with a DAW look into how to optimise you PC for music production. I’ve only been recording since the start of the pandemic, and have found that researching how to optimise my PC made a huge difference to the capability of both the processor and the RAM.
    Incidentally, in a matter of a few weeks I’ve gone from learning how to record a simple guitar track to producing 120 track covers (as I am learning to create choral style BV’s)playing all the guitars, faking bass by using neck pickup on a JTV59 with the pitch shifter (1octave down) and a nice Ampeg profile, singing multiple backing vocals, lead vocals and programming drum patterns manually.
    I’ve also dropped in tracks from my keyboard player, edited, eq’d, added Fx, learned to de-ess vocals with spectral edits, mixing and basic mastering. All with just my Kemper, guitars, an SM57, a very old Shure Prologue mic, a pair of Shure SE535 earphones and an MR 18 mixing desk acting as an interface. Not an ideal mixing method as I don’t own studio monitors or have a treated room, but I have some helpful friends who do and who have a listen and feed back. I check on my phone, in the car, through the tV etc. to get some idea of how the recordings translate into real world situations. Best I can do at the mo.

I can’t believe how quickly this technology enables one to progress.

Good luck, enjoy the Kemper, follow all the good advice above from all the forum crowd and optimise your PC.

Happy recording.

Cheers

Pre-Amp

Good day to you all!
    I’ve had a Slicer effect on a Boss GT3 and GT10.
    Quite useful, but some of the patterns were a bit gimmicky.
    What would be ace would be to have the patterns programmable, possibly by using a beat scanner to sample the rhythm and then convert that into an on - off parameter for volume. This could then have a mix control to blend in original signal. Voila, infinitely variable sliced sounds with controllable mix level.

Once you have the effect parameters and pattern the way you want, You could then save as a preset.
    Not sure how one would convert the best scanned pattern into the trem effect. I’m no tech expert, I suppose it could be linked to a multi tap delay to create reference points for each beat? If that was a ping pong multi-tap, It would sound so huge, especially in recordings.
    Live work presents all sorts of challenges for these kind of stereo field sounds so mono compatibility would be useful...
    The other approach would be editable presets. Possibly easier to achieve consistency with this approach.

Anyway, I’d love a Slicer. It’s useful for weird sound fx at the end of songs etc.

Cheers

Pre-Amp

Hi Verminante,

Only just seen your reply. Been busy with other things and not looked at the forum for a bit. Thanks for the ideas. I suppose I could add a separate dual momentary footswitch and assign that to basic looper functions to prevent having to switch in and out of the looper when changing performance slots. The switching in and out of looper mode is really annoying when needing to change slots.
    If we could assign the FX switches to Looper functions, that might work quite well.
    Cheers!

Pre-Amp

In pre phone camera days, I once saw a rather illiterate message on a rehearsal room board that read: “Now Stareway too haven. “

Always makes me chuckle.
    Pre-Amp

Hi Everyone,

Here’s a little tip I’ve mentioned before and had been using live for a little while before the scourge of COVID-19 postponed live music.
    Still fun to try at home.
    Try using a morph pedal to change the panorama across the stereo field. It helps separate out parts and can be used to create really wide soundscapes and cross rhythms.
    It would be cool if there was some way to set the pedal to the centred position rather than having to guess where it is. This would allow for really precise positioning and the ability to build a whole ensemble of parts in the loop that don’t get in each other’s way.
    Now we have an acoustic simulator, it’s even more flexible from a sound source point of view. Acoustics, electrics, even fake bass with a good bass amp profile and an octave/pitch shifter set an octave down and mix set to 100% wet.
    If you are armed with a Variax, you could even mimic a mandolin using the onboard tuning, string muting and a twelve string model in their workbench suite. I find using a regular capo to raise the pitch, better than the on-board virtual capo. At least to get close to mandolin pitch.
    It’s not perfect, purists will hate it, but it’s another tone on the sound pallet.
    With some practice, you could build loops with bass, acoustic, electric, mandolin and washy pads mimicking keyboards.
    If you connect it all up so that you can add in your vocal and a drum machine, there are endless possibilities.
    You got to love the Kemper!
    Pre-Amp

Ditto.

Stay home, wash your hands, social distance, Facetime your loved ones, plug in and play your Kemper. Perform from your windows to entertain your neighborhood!
    Keep well all!

Pre-Amp