Posts by OhG

I'm pulling my hair out due to this same issue tonight. I've tried both the DXR10 and DXR15. With both, I used a Mogami 1/4" cable out of the Monitor Out and into the Line 2 input of the DXR. I've got my monitor output level set at -11 dB and the volume knob on the DXR set at "0". The noise from the monitor out is nothing short of ridiculous. But as soon as I use an XLR cable from the Main Output, the speaker is dead silent. Not being able to use the monitor out makes the Kemper practically useless because I need to be able to control the volume for FOH and my monitor separately. And without having to listen to this amount of noise as a compromise.

I'm just surprised that simply using the monitor out adds such a high amount of noise. When compared to the XLR outputs, it's ridiculous how much noisier the monitor output is.

I'm glad someone started this thread because I'm having major issues with this and it's a MAJOR problem. I've used both the DXR10 and DXR15, and the exact same issue happened with each, so it's not a case of a defective speaker.

• When using a high quality Mogami 1/4" cable from the Monitor Out and into the Line 2 input on the Yamaha, there is some MAJOR hiss. This happens even when there is no guitar cable plugged into the input. And even when I have the Kemper turned all the way down. On the DXR, I had the Line 2 level set at "0". On the Kemper, I had the monitor out set at -11dB. If I turned the monitor output up louder (closer to 0dB) and turned the the DXR down, the hiss was still very loud.
    • If I used the same settings and simply used an XLR cable out of the left Main Output and into the Line 1 XLR input on either speaker, the speaker became practically dead silent.

So how do I fix this? I want to be able to use the monitor out so that I can control the volume levels of my monitor on stage and the signal going to FOH separately. I tried using a cheap Hosa 1/4" to XLR Hi-Z to Low-Z adaptor, and while that did eliminate the noise, it reduced the overall volume of the speaker drastically.

I could unlink the monitor output and link the main output to the master volume, allowing me to use an XLR to my DXR. But then I'd have to use the 1/4" monitor out to send a signal to the mains, which is really just swapping one problem for another. Would using a direct box in some way fix this? If so, how should I hook that up so that it doesn't damage anything?

I know the tightness of the lower frequencies won't be as good on the DXR15 as compared to the DXR10. But does anyone know if the overall tone should be relatively similar between the two models (outside of extreme nuances that most of us wouldn't pick up on in a live situation)?

That's what I'm hoping for with my DXR15. I don't play a lot of stuff where I need a really tight bass response. My band plays maybe a couple Disturbed or Metallica covers once in a while, but that's about it. The rest is more modern top 40 rock and classic rock. So considering it only cost $500 new, I'd be okay with trading off a little on-stage bass response, in exchange for being able to have the tone of the DXR10 at higher volumes without the speaker having issues and rumbling/flubbing out.

Perhaps my DXR10 is somehow defective, but when I use the XLR input it sounds like crap. If I had a second one I'd know for sure whether that's normal or a flaw in this one, but for now I only use the 1/4" input.

That was part of my problem as well. Not having a 2nd DXR to compare my other one to. And Guitar Center never has any of these in their stores. I loved the overall sound of it, but the noise was unacceptable. If I was able to try another DXR10 and determine for sure that mine was simply defective, I would have bought another DXR10. I didn't experience any of that noise with the DXR15.

I returned the DXR10. If it was defective, then that'd explain the noise in the videos above. If it wasn't defective, then it simply can't handle the volume I needed.

I wanted to try another DXR10, DXR12 or a DSR112, but in typical Guitar Center fashion, they didn't have any. So I ended up buying a DXR15. I tested it in the store with my Kemper and from the 10-15 minutes I spent with it, it SEEMS like it was fine.

I've never used a 15" speaker for guitar before and was worried it may be too boomy. But it seemed like it was fine. In terms of volume, it was more than capable of handling the volume I need, and with no rattling or flubby speakers. So I'm hoping that given the high volumes that I use on stage, maybe the 15" speaker will be the right fit for me. I say this, because it was a clearance floor model speaker. It's "new" and is still covered by the typical warranties, but cannot be returned unless there is something wrong with it. I got it for $500, so it seems like a good deal to me.

On another note, the Guitar Center employee tried selling me a JBLPRX saying that it would be my best option for the Kemper (I disagreed after hearing it). He also tried to claim that the reason I was experiencing the noise with the DXR10 (in the videos above) was because I wasn't using the XLR outputs to connect the Kemper to the DXR. I explained to him several times that not only the members on the forum, but the Kemper manual itself states that using a standard 1/4" TS cable to connect the monitor out to a powered speaker and using the XLR main outputs for the board is the way to go. He continued to insist that the noise was due to this method of hookup. Ugh!

Thanks guys. I know this is an issue with traditional amps being mic'd as well, so it's certainly not a knock on the Kemper. @SanctumSolaris, setting the sounds a little thicker than normal is a good point. Also, the trim knob. I'll have to "lay down the law" with certain sound guys who are certainly guilty of using that knob as a volume adjustment (including the guy we just used last week).

Hey Guys,

So I brought my Kemper to a gig this past weekend, not to use for the whole night, but just to test it out on a PA system and see how it sounds before I actually bring it as my sole setup for a night. I've been using it with the Yamaha DXR10 at home, and it sounds great aside from some issues I've been having with the DXR (nothing to do with the Kemper).

When I got it to the gig, I plugged in from the left mono out, to a channel on the board via XLR. Everything was hooked up the same way I had it hooked up for the DXR (aside from using the different output - used the monitor out for the DXR). On both outputs, I had it set to Master Mono, output set to -15dB, cabinet feature was enabled, etc.

Anyway, when I tested it through the PA, using the same AmpFactory profile I've been using (AF9-BE SS Full 4+), it sounded okay, but not great. It had a bit of "fizz" to it rather than sounding like a nice thick guitar, the way it did with the Yamaha. The PA was a decent system. Big 3-way PA, mostly JBLs (JBL bins and tops). I'm not sure what model the tops were, but the brand was JBL and they were about the size of a 4x10 bass cab.

So what I'm wondering is, the main purpose of the Kemper is supposed to be getting high quality sounds, and the ability to have tons of different amps at your disposal. Both of which it does wonderfully. However, the idea behind it is that it's supposed to be giving you consistent sounds. But it occurred to me this weekend, that just like a regular guitar amp, even though I'm running direct to FOH, my sound is going to be different every time we play on a different PA system, even if I have the sound guy set the EQ for my channel to flat (as I did in this case).

I understand that this isn't the fault of the KPA, because technically, it is going to send the same consistent sound each time regardless of what I'm using to monitor the sound. But how do you all get around the fact that your profiles and rigs are going to sound so different, every time you play on a different PA? How do you minimize these inconsistencies as much as possible. Or is this something that simply can't be controlled since we're at the mercy of whatever PA the clubs are running? For the most part, they're all nice PA systems. But the sound is going to be different with all of them.

Yeah that sounds like something's rattling inside.
    Just out ouf curiosity, if you flip the DXR to its other side does the rattling maybe vanish?
    That would hint at a loose cable inside.

I tried this today and it still has the same sound. Ingolf, would you be able to replicate the settings I mentioned above with your DXR10 and see if anything similar happens when you're at the volumes that I listed above? I know it won't be 100% identical due to different guitars and such. But I'm curious as to if this is just the Yamaha reaching it's peak volume levels for the speaker (not necessarily the input), or if there is legitimately something wrong with the speaker.

Also, if you are able to replicate these settings, can you let me know if your Atomic is able to handle this level of volume without any speaker issues? If it can, I just may buy the Atomic and stop messing around with the middle-tier options of speakers

I bought it new at Guitar Center, and I'm still within my return period. I'm heading to a gig in a few minutes so I don't have time to try using it in a different position (great suggestion though). I'll give that a try tomorrow. But at this point, I think I may just return it and try another. I've also got the option of buying an Atomic CLR active wedge for around $720. I paid $600 for the DXR. So it may be worth it to just spend the extra $120.

Okay guys, so I finally had a chance this morning to do 2 very quick videos to demonstrate the speaker flub that I referenced in the beginning of this thread. The videos are below.

Here are my settings:

• RIG: Amp Factory AF9-BE SS Full4+ (this rig sounds awesome by the way)
    • Master volume is unlinked and is set at -15dB (although for this issue, that is irrelevant). Both outputs (monitor and main) are set to Master Mono.
    • I'm running from monitor out into the line 2 input of the DXR10. The monitor output is linked to the master volume and the monitor output is set to -11.8 and the main volume on the front of the Kemper is turned up to 5.1. The DXR volume is set at the "zero" setting on the back.
    • On the back of the DXR, I'm using it in mono mode, with both D-Contour and HPF set to "off"
    • At no time does the light on the back of the DXR indicate any clipping, and none of the lights on the Kemper ever hit red, although I have noticed that they all light up a brighter green when I hit the strings harder. But no red, so I'm assuming I'm not clipping anything in the Kemper.

The rig itself sounds great. And the volume is about where I'd need it for stage volume (I'd prefer a little more, but that issue would be solved with buying a 2nd DXR10 to place behind me. The rig does seem a bit noisy to me, but I can address that later. Right now, I'd like to know what to make of this speaker flub.

In this first video, it's just me raking the strings. No palm muting. I've got the strings muted with my fret hand and just raking across all of them. You'll hear that there is some extra speaker rumbling sounds in there.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In this second video, you'll hear the rumbling a lot more. I palm mute the low E string (standard 440 tuning) and it's not too bad. When I palm mute the A string and let that ring slightly, you'll hear it quite a bit.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I plan to take the Kemper to a gig tonight (not to use as my main rig) and hook it up through the PA. I'm assuming this rumbling will not come through the PA and is strictly a result of the DXR. But I also want to test the Kemper tonight to see if this AmpFactory BE-SS Full4+ rig sounds great through the PA when running direct to FOH. If it does, then I'll likely keep the Kemper (my return period end next week), and then hopefully be able to address this speaker issue. If it doesn't sound good, then the speaker issue is irrelevant because if it doesn't sound good through the front of house and sound very close to what it sounds like through the DXR10, then it defeats the purpose of me buying it to begin with.

Any help would be appreciated!

Awesome. Thank you! And I don't feel so stupid now. I was doing something wrong with the search feature on the forum. I searched for a bunch of combinations of "4.0 release", "4.0 features", "firmware features", etc, and got nothing. But I can see why now, because none of those terms were in the title of the thread you provided.

I can't wait for these updates! It's going to be like crack for my ears!

Is there a thread or page on the Kemper site which tells us exactly what features will be included in the 4.0 release? I just did about 6-7 search queries on the forum, as well as looked on the Kemper support & downloads pages, but couldn't find this anywhere.

I know morphing is supposed to be one of the cool new features. I did read somewhere on the forum that shimmer delays aren't expected to be included in this update. But are we getting ANY additional delays or reverbs? I have to admit, having only 3 different delay and reverb types is pretty disappointing considering everything else that the KPA can do.

Since you are used to having one cabinet behind you, and another toward the front of the stage, I think you would be happier with two cabinets instead of changing to a different single cabinet.

Running two cabinets creates a huge sound, without needing ear-damaging volume.

I'm leaning toward this route. I like the sound and feel that I'm getting from the Kemper and the DXR. I'm just concerned that I may damage the speaker when playing at my full volume with one DXR and palm muting. So maybe adding a second DXR is the way to go to give me a more familiar feel to what I've been used to. That would also provide more flexibility in terms of running stereo, or just bringing one DXR to smaller gigs.

One idea: what happens @OhG if you turn up the DXR to 14 o'clock and then give yourself a loudness boost by turning up the Profiler more?
    This must be easily 120 dB or more. Take care of your ears, man.

Mine only goes to eleven. Haha. Sorry, had to throw in the Spinal Tap reference. I'll try it tonight or tomorrow and take note of exactly where I have the volumes set on the DXR, the Kemper, as well as which profile I'm using so that will help provide a more accurate idea as to how loud I'm looking to go. I don't have a dB meter, but I can't imagine I'm close to 120 dB. That'd be insane and my singer would push me off the stage if I got to that volume. (c:

I may look into the DXR12. I guess another option to consider would be to buy a second DXR10 and run both of them, which would be MORE than enough combined volume, while allowing me to roll the volume per monitor down a bit, and reduce the flub. That's a similar setup to how I'm running my two 1x12 cabs now (one in front as a monitor, and one in back facing the crowd).

So many choices, so little dimes! haha

And by louder, I don't just mean db level. I mean, which can reach the higher volume, before the speaker starts flubbing out?

I've got the Yamaha DXR10 and it seems to be loud enough in terms of db levels, but when I get it to the loudness level that I prefer for stage volume (which is quite loud, especially for just a 4-piece band), the 10" speaker just doesn't seem to be able to handle the low frequencies all that well when I'm palm muting. I'm not drop-tuned or doing anything like that. Mostly standard 440 or 430 tunings.

I know I could EQ my monitor mix differently, but I'd prefer not to do that because I want to hear as close to what is coming out of the mains as possible. Plus, I like how the low end sounds in the Yamaha, minus the extra rumbling/flub from the speaker. I'm considering returning the Yamaha and buying the Atomic CLR wedge instead. My hunch is that it'd handle the palm muting a little better since it's got a 12" speaker as opposed to 10". However, when comparing the specs between the two monitors, it says the Yamaha is 700 watts bi-amped, and the Atomic is 500 watts bi-amped.

I know the CLR has received better reviews in terms of sound quality. So I'm not worried about that. But is it a safe assumption that the Atomic will handle the lower end frequencies a little better than the Yamaha, while still being able to produce the volume that I need on stage? Unfortunately, I don't know of anyone in my area who has a CLR, and they're not available in any stores around here. So, I can't compare them side by side. I've watched Ingolf's comparison videos (both of them), a couple time. And while those videos provided some great info, due to the compression of online videos, there's really no way of getting a feel for the two in terms of volume.

I agree with Paults. If it were an issue with your Kemper, you would likely have this noise regardless of where you plugged in. But the fact that you're not having it at home, but having it in another location, points toward a grounding issue.

From my experience, it's always best practice (when possible) to plug all of your rig into one outlet. So for exmple, don't plug a powered monitor into one outlet and then your Kemper into a different one. They may be on different circuits and that could lead to a grounding issue.