Posts by OhG

I have looked at those, but I think the issue I'm having is more with Reaper settings than the Kemper. I'm 100% positive I've got the Kemper set up properly. But the Reaper I/O is what is confusing me.

You would need to add another track and select input 3 to get the DI source to record. Kemper Output Source Direct Output at Guitar Analog. I believe you run a TS cable from the back of Kemper Direct Out to your 3rd input on the audio interface. When you record you should hear a dry signal on that track.

I'm even more confused now. The instructions above sound like how to record the direct/dry track. I've already got that part down. It's how to take that track and reamp it which I'm struggling with.

Check this video out and see if you have a similar situation... (BTW, I have Reaper 5 on Win 10).

That video doesn't help because he's talking about ASIO on Windows, which I don't have on a Mac. I'm connecting my Kemper to the Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB via two SPDIF cables. I've got my Kemper's input set to SPDIF Input Reamp, and the SPDIF Output set to Master Stereo. Here are the screenshots that I'm seeing along with a description. What am i supposed to change based on these screenshots?

This screenshot just shows my simple direct audio file on Track 1 and I'd like to Reamp it to Track 2.

This is the screen that comes up if I right-click on the record button for the Reamp Track (#2)

For the Reamp Track (#2) these are the inputs I have available for mono

For the Reamp Track (#2) these are the inputs I have available for Stereo

If I click on the in/out button for the direct track (#1) this is what shows.

Similarly, if I click on the in/out button for the Reamp Track (#2), this is what shows.

My Reaper preferences look nothing like that. I've watched that video a few times and it doesn't help me with the Reaper settings at all because I don't see any way to tell Reaper to send Track 4 (or whatever the direct track is) back through my SPDIF to the Kemper for reamping.

These are my Reaper options. I'm using the most current version and on a Mac.

I'd love for someone to figure this out because I'm having the same problem. Can't figure out how to reamp in Reaper and I'm sure it's something I'm not changing correctly in Reaper. I'm using a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre and doing everything with the two SPDIF cables. So I'm guessing that me and rippitydippity are having the same issue. How to take the dry/DI track and then record the new reamped track in Reaper?

I'm trying to reamp for the first time and can NOT figure it out. I've figured out how to record the dry/direct signal, which was easy enough. I've watched the Kemper tutorial videos but I'm getting lost on how to configure everything in Reaper. I've also tried watching 3rd party YouTube videos claiming to show how to reamp with Kemper and Reaper (all of which have been utterly useless and don't actually show a simple step-by-step process of how to do it).

Can someone please tell me what I'm missing or doing wrong? How do I take that dry track and record a new track via reamping?

Here is my setup:

1. I'm using Reaper for my DAW
    2. I'm using 2 SPDIF cables from the SPDIF in and out from the Kemper and running them into the SPDIF in and out of my Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre
    3. I've got the Input Source on my Kemper set to "SPDIF Input Reamp" and the SPDIF Outputs are set to Master Stereo (as are the Main Outputs - but they aren't connected since I use SPDIF)

If anyone has done reamping with a Kemper and Reaper, can you please give me a step by step guide on what you're doing in Reaper to get it to work?

I'm having a similar problem. I'm using 2 solid quality SPDIF cables connecting into my Clarett 4 Pre interface. If I listen to my tones through the headphone jack of the Kemper, they sound amazing. If I then plug my headphones into the headphone jack of the interface, they sound like a blanket is over them. This is also how they sound if I record them and then play them back through my Yamaha HS8 speakers. I haven't tried XLR cables yet because I thought SPDIF was supposed to be the clearest connection.

For what it's worth, I've been using my Kempers (rack and toaster) for years now and I have NEVER purchased a profile from anyone (M. Britt, Top Jimi, Choptones, etc.) and had it sound even close to what they have in their demos. I know there will be differences based on guitars used, speakers, fingers, etc. But nothing I buy is ever remotely close to how awesome things sound online.

I run direct into our PA and use Westone Pro 5-driver in-ears for live use. For recording I'm using SPIDIF out from a Focusrite Clarett 4 Pre into Reaper, played through a pair of Yamaha HS8 studio monitors with my Mac desktop. Guitar is a Guthrie Govan signature model Charvel, a Custom master-built Charvel, and a Fender American Telecaster Ultra. So it's not as if I'm playing on or through garbage equipment.

I've just resorted to finding profiles that are close to what I want and then just adjusting them to my liking. I'd love to be able to buy profiles and have them closer to what is advertised, but I'm still getting awesome results just tweaking profiles instead.

Using your ear is really the only way to do it. Adjust each profile using the rig volume knob. If you’re building sounds using the same profile, just start with one that you’ve already balanced and use it as a template. The rigs that come with the Kemper are all generally balanced with each other.

Also, don’t assume that if two profiles max out at the same volume in a meter in your DAW that they’re the same loudness. Two sounds can have the same dB level, but still be very different in perceived loudness due to things like EQ.

Hi guys,

I've been doing more recording with my Kemper lately and I'm at a point now where I'd like to know if there is a way for me to take one of my existing profiles with all the effects (delays and reverbs) and record it into my DAW so that the guitar with all of the distortion and things that are in the stomp section, come out on one track, with any effects that are in the effects slot, recorded onto a separate track.

My setup currently consists of guitar straight into the front input of the Kemper. Out of the Kemper, I'm running SPDIF in and out, to a Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB interface, and using Reaper as my DAW.

The best way to create your tones is to do it at the volume you intend to use them. So if you’re going to be playing live, you’ll get the best results tweaking your tones at gig level. If that isn’t possible, I’d personally start with some MBritt profiles and test those at a gig if you can. If you’re playing at lower volumes, MBritt’s profiles will likely sound too dark. But keep in mind he creates many of his profiles with live playing in mind - meaning, they’ll sound less dull when cranked through a PA.

Unfortunately, the profiles are all going to sound different depending on what you’re playing through and how loud you’re playing. Once you get a profile that sounds great through a cranked profile, it will sound solid (for the most part) on any other cranked PA (of similar quality).

If you have limited time at gigs, try testing just 1-2 profiles per gig. Get them sounding good and then add others if necessary. I don’t own a Kone so I can’t comment on that part. But a FRFR cab should give you a better idea of what your sound really sounds like our front than your 1x12 cab would.

That Mimiq pedal looks badass. Wonder how well it intermingles with the Kemper.

It's not bad. I find that it definitely does color the tone a bit. The thing I dislike about it the most is that in 2 of the 3 modes, it results in one channel being slightly louder than the other. It's audible enough for me to even notice it during a soundcheck while standing out front. It's likely nothing that the crowd would notice, but I did. Between that and the tone coloration, I'd give it a grade of B-. I use it at about 18% mix; just up enough to provide some nice separation for in my in-ears. IMO, it's not good enough to use in professional, live settings, to do what it says it does, which is to produce the sound of double or triple tracked guitars.

You also have to use it in stereo unless you want a really bad out-of-phase effect. Very easy to use with the Kemper though. Drop it in the effects loop, put it in the "X" slot and choose "stereo loop". As long as you're running in stereo, you're good to go.

Try putting it as the last effect. If you want delay tails to continue after the swell has been reduced you’ll need it to be before the delays. Same with reverb.

Try reducing the swell time parameter if you want it to come in quicker. If you’re not getting the results you want, you could also try using a volume/expression pedal to get the swells to come in the way you want them to.

If you're tracking in the studio, the real thing will always be best -> double, triple, quad tracking

live, it is highly doubtful that the FOH will give you a wide stereo field (if stereo at all),

or even IF you get that, only the people directly in the middle between the speakers will hear the stereo effect

Totally agree Don. I use the Mimic for live situations but I only have the mix parameter up to 18%. Just high enough to give me some nice sounding separation in my in-ears, but not enough to degrade the tone too much. To me, it’s not worth it because you’re right about stereo only being noticed by people seated in certain areas.

The closest thing you’ll get to double tracking and that really thick sound without actually double tracking, is to use the TC Mimic pedal. Using delays and choruses MIGHT give you a decent effect, but it’s not going to do what the Mimic does. The Mimic adjusts the timing of the notes as well as velocities to sound a little more human.

I’ve found that the widening effects (the new stereo and phase effects) in the Kemper sound cheap. There is a noticeable difference in sound quality when using them. For example, it sounds like the guitar just shifts more toward the left channel and it sounds louder than the right when listening in stereo.

Even the Mimic, which to my knowledge is the best doubler pedal out there, has some negative degradation affect on your tone.

If you’re playing live, the Mimic is your best option for double tracked sounds. If your recording, the best option for double tracking while maintaining the integrity of your time is to go old school and double the tracks manually.

I don't think anyone is actually knocking the TJ profiles ( I love 'em) just more of their bias...ironically off the back of this post, I went onto the MBRitt site and downloaded the free EVH rig....love it!!!

Exactly. I'm not knocking TJ profiles. I'm just saying that for me, for live use, they don't sound as good in a mix through a cranked PA as the MBritt stuff does. I think the TJ profiles sound better for recording.

Just to go back to your original post, the difference between TJ and MBritt is that the TJ sounds are made to sound like the guitar sound on the records; typically high and low pass filtered to some degree, yet bright. MBritt on the other hand tailors his profiles to work in a live setting at volume, where excessive high end can be really unpleasant. Two different methods for two different scenarios. Like others have written in this thread, I tend not to mix different profile vendors in my live performance Rigs and my preference is also MBritt for live these days.

sambrox beat me to it, but I agree 100% with everything he said here. I found the TJ profiles way too thin sounding for live use and ended up going with MBritt. I had the opportunity to hang out with Michael Britt for an hour or so before one of his Lonestar shows and talk about his setup, rigs, etc.

Like Sambrox said, most of my profiles for live use are MBritt because I just add a tiny bit of treble or presence and they sound great through a PA. Remember, test the sounds at the volume you intend to play. So if it’s live, crank them up and listen to them at live volumes. I isolated myself with my band’s PA for a day, cranked the entire system up to live volumes and dialed in my sounds like that. They sound amazing. If I take those same profiles and try to use them for recording, I need to tweak the EQ because they’re being used in a completely different context.

(IMO) arranging/saving rigs into performances has always been the most user unfriendly feature Kemper has created.

What I'll usually do is go into Rig Manager, find rig I want to work with and then you have a couple options. You can copy and paste it into whatever performance slot you want, or drag and drop it. Sometimes opening a new window in Rig Manager (so you have 2 Rig Manager windows open) makes this easier to drag a rig from your rigs or rig exchange. After you've placed the rig where you want it, double click into a DIFFERENT performance and it'll save it for you. It may bring up a message asking you to save or discard.

I've found that simply hitting the "store" button 3 times after you move a rig in performance mode, doesn't always work. So get everything in that performance where you want it, and then double click into another performance. If you then click back into your edited performance, you'll see everything has saved.

And no, you don't need to fill a performance up with all 5 slots. You can have as few as you want in each performance.