Posts by OhG

I think the Kemper's EQs are great. You should put a studio EQ in the "x" slot, then set a really low "q" setting one of the bands, with the gain of that particular band all the way up, then slowly dial the frequency dial of that band from high down to low until you find the frequencies that you don't like and then you can just roll the gain back to about -5db to cut some of them out.

Another option for the hiss is to also use the studio EQ and use the hi and lo cuts. Set a cut around 8k (might be higher or lower depending on your preference) and that should help with getting rid of the fizz.

Depending on the profile, the Pure Cab setting can help as well.

What about the "Clarity" parameter, brother?

IMHO it's tailor-made for your situation; it brings out the individual notes in chords.

Yeah man. I did try that too. I messed around with that, the power sagging and tube settings and that helped a bit. I think I've got it working the way I need it to now.

I'm dialing in a new medium gained plexi profile that I'm really liking except for one small thing. When I'm playing open chords (mainly G and D) with the distortion on, the highest couple notes of the chords (2nd fret of high E string and 3rd fret on the B string when playing a D chord) seem to sound really thin and get washed out by the rest of the strings and the overall distortion/overdrive. I don't have a TON of gain or overdrive on (gain is only at a 4.1 on the Kemper). One of the overdrives I'm using is a treble boost with a tone of 2.8 and the volume only at 0.6.

I like the tone of everything, but those notes just get washed out whenever I'm playing big open chords. I'm using .10 gauge strings and tuned to 430. I'm just wondering, is there a certain range of EQ band that I should be looking to boost in order to make that area of the tonal spectrum pop out more? If I play those same notes in other areas of the fretboard with chords, they sound fine. I've tested this with other guitars and it's the same issue with all.

I've even added a TINY bit (0.5) of direct mix into the profile to help make some of the notes not sound so thin with the overdrive on.

Any tips?

Question 3. Have any of you managed to get an IEM solution that works for you, particularly on high gain sounds without being too ice picky or just sounding nasty in your ear? I have a couple of IEMs and different IEM amps I can use. Back with the AX8 I tried mixing a direct feed of my guitar with a mix of the band from the PA....but I couldn't get anything I liked.

When it comes to IEMs, it's really about the quality of your IEMs almost more so than the quality of the profile (almost). If you're using single or dual driver IEMs, I don't care if God himself came down and created a profile; it's going to sound like crap and very thin. At a bare minimum, you need to be using triple drivers. I'm using 5-driver Westone UMPro50 and they are awesome! They sound better than my AudioTechnica headphones.

You've also got to set realistic expectations for what IEMs can do. You won't get that amp in the room feel from them because there is no amp pushing air at you. But if you get some really nice IEMs, after a few gigs, you likely won't have a desire to go back to amps. You can crank them to the point where they play a trick on your head and it sounds like you've got a cranked amp in the room (without the air). But, keep in mind, part of the point of IEMs is to protect your hearing.

I made a gradual change over time, reducing my setup from a 1/2 stack, to two 2/12 cabs, then to 2 1/12 cabs and finally to the in-ears. So my adjustment to them wasn't as drastic as someone who is going from a 1/2 stack right to the in-ears. But the one thing I love about them is that at every gig (we use the Behringer X32 as well), my monitor mix is EXACTLY the same, at every club, at every spot on the stage. The entire stage is a sweetspot for me now.

I'd highly recommend the 4 or 5-driver in-ears from Westone. Sweetwater carries them.

You're not going to like this answer, but the best approach is to use your own ears. I say that because what you think sounds good or right, might not be the same for someone else who is giving you advice. And even if the two of you do agree on what sounds good, your individual setup will have a huge impact on how things sound (e.g. a chorus effect using a Les Paul is not going to sound the same as it would if you're using single coils; or if you want chorus and reverb to really cut through in a mix in a live setting, you generally have to crank them up in the mix even more than you might think when dialing in tones when you're alone). Unless it's something that is very specific and set in stone, like "what kind of delay, or what tempo delay should I set for this song", it's tough to answer.

I appreciate you trying to sort it out. I just gave up on running two Kempers the way I wanted to a long time ago because after many back and forth discussions, I was told that it wasn't possible to do what I wanted to do. There was some reason (can't remember what it was) that I wouldn't be able to use the Kemper footswitch or a separate MIDI controller to get the desired results that I want. I think it was the fact that I also wanted to use the foot pedals (wah and morphing) or something like that.

The Kemper Remote (if that is what you are using) does NOT have a MIDI out, so that would not by possible.

I didn't say I was going out of the MIDI on the Footswitch. I was using the Kemper Footswitch to control my Kemper. The only MIDI I'm using was to go out of the first Kemper and into the 2nd.

Again, didn't want to hijack this thread with something that has already been discussed and dissected thoroughly by the Kemper team in another thread and determined to not be possible to do what I'm looking to do using the Kemper Footswitch and 2 Kempers.

I don't see how that would be a problem for my MIDI pedal since it doesn't receive any data, it only sends it. So I don't think it would care if the Kemper's are sending any data since it won't do anything with it anyway.

If you have your Kemper Footswitch hooked to this MIDI device and then out of that to 2 Kempers, how will the footswitch know what text to display on the screen? Or which Kemper to receive other info from (like tap tempo settings, etc)? I don’t know the ins and outs of it. I’m just going on what I was told by Kemper on this forum.

I would be certain running a midi cable in to one unit and then from midi thru to the next kemper would have no lag. I was running this setup with other midi gear before I simplified my setup. That's what midi thru is for, it passes on the midi signal with no processing added. As for making a stage control a kemper rack, I've no idea but I'm sure the kemper boffins would have planned for this.

Well, I was pretty certain it would work too; until I tried it.

I'm currently using an RFX MIDI Wizard (there is also a MIDI Buddy that is easier to find) and one of it's features is an additional MIDI out called "Shared". So basically, it can send the same signal out from 2 different physical MIDI jacks at the same time. I'm wondering if you couldn't use this (or maybe even just a MIDI Splitter of some kind) to control both of them via MIDI, instead of trying to daisy chain them together? In theory, they should both get the MIDI signals at the same time and reduce, if not eliminate, the delay caused by daisy chaining them.

That won't work. According to past discussions I've had with Kemper, you can't use a separate MIDI device to control both Kempers because the Kempers also send MIDI info back to the footswitch and it could mess things up having 2 Kempers sending different info to the footswitch at the same time. The only way to do it (as far as I've heard) is to connect a MIDI cable from Kemper 1 MIDI out to the MIDI in of Kemper 2. But that's the problem. You step on the footswitch to change the Kempers; Kemper 1 receives the command and switches just fine, but there is a significant delay between the hitting the footswitch and when Kemper 1 sends Kemper 2 the MIDI signal to change.

I started with a rack and then later added a toaster. My plan was to run two Kempers simultaneously at gigs for a thicker sound with a TC Mimic pedal in front of them (one output of the Mimic going to Kemper 1 and the other stereo output of Mimic going to Kemper 2). The problem is that there is a noticeable lag/latency when using one Kemper footswitch to control both Kemper’s. For example, trying to get both Kempers to switch from a clean rig to distorted rig, you would hear them switching a different times (like a half second delay) which makes it totally useless in a live setting. I’ve tried multiple ways of hooking this up (including the way that ToneJunkies mentions on their YouTube video) and it flat out doesn’t work. The UI to MIDI doesn’t help either. Can’t get rid of the delay of one Kemper sending them command to the next Kemper to switch.

So I’ve now just gone back to using one Kemper live, and leaving my toaster set up at home for recording or practicing.

I know this is a dumb question, as using beta on production is never a good idea, but have you guys who have been using the beta think it is stable enough to use for a gig? Only new feature I'd really be using would be the acoustic simulator on a few songs. Having the acoustic sim isn't super important to me, so if it is really buggy or unstable, I'll just stick with the older release I've been using.

I've always followed the rule of NEVER using a Beta OS for gigs. Followed it right up until last week when I decided to install it - and it later gave me error screens that I couldn't get rid of until the Kemper support team told me how to reset everything. To me, the acoustic sim is a fun toy - but after having sat with it more, I find that's all it is in terms of live performances. Even with EQ, I couldn't get the full body sound that I was looking for and when someone else plays a real acoustic at the same time, it got buried. So (IMO) it's definitely not worth the risk.

All sorted now. The initial set of instructions I got just said that I could follow some steps and then reinstall the OS. But they didn't mention that I'd need to go back to 7.32 first. That opened up a whole new set of problems. In the end, doing a total initializing and wiping of the unit was the answer. Due to me having a backups of everything, it was very easy.

Kemper support team is great and VERY responsive. Love it!

Currently using Beta 7.5.0 on both my rack and toaster. The toaster got locked up with an error message and I don’t want to risk my rack doing the same thing. How do I safely revert back to the last working OS? Do I also need to revert back to an older version of rig manager (I’m using the most current version of that too).

Hi Guys,

So, I went against my #1 rule that I've always followed and was foolish enough to install a Beta version on my Kemper. I'm currently using Beta 7.5.0.18050B. It's been working fine for several days. Yesterday, I made a backup of my rigs (the exact same way and same USB stick that I've been using for years) and today, I went to load that backup. After the restore loading window completed, my Kemper restarted like it normally does, but when the screen came back on, it showed the error message in the first picture below. So I hit "exit" like it told me to, and then when it came back up, it showed me the error in image #2, and shows this one every time I start it up.

Any ideas how to fix it? Or is it a case of having to wait until the Kemper team emails me back? And, can I just somehow re-install the latest working release (7.4.1)? The only reason I even tried the Beta was for the acoustic sim, and the more I played with it, the more I realized it wasn't worth it. So I'd rather just go back to an OS that works.