Posts by Tandrin

Thanks @ 'dhodgson' for your investigation.

Dub2:
    You can locate where the dry is when you turn down the "effect" and let "dry" open. It´s always on one (the same) side. And in dub2 it could be so usefull to have dry in the middle...

I start to get used to the sound. :) I often use Dub3 now. So completly 4 Voices. Start to like it over 2 Voices at highgain. For more clean sounds is Dub1 preferable because it sounds really clean and nice.
    For many recordings I let it just ON. :)
    For more oldschool clean sounds I turn it sometimes of. But as I previously told, together with one of the new delays (IO prefer a dark dual crystal) and a little bit shiny short reverb it is a very nice, lush and big sound.

Maybe they work on improvements in the phasing problem. But I don´t wait for a kemperish style of support :).

But in the end, after playing hours and hours with that toy: I will definitly use it in studio and live.
    Mimiq or really doubling or quad guitars sound different. That´s good man! One more available sound! And I think live it will be a nice toy.

BUT I think it is only realy cool in stereo! For that is doubling made! If I can play mono only at a gig, I would maybe cut the doubler. It is the room and space that is created which is so fascinating (in addition with you know the new delays it´s orgasmic)

@whippinpost91850
    YAH! So true!!!!!!

Hi together,

the kemper hasn´t a good doubler or even triple or quad effect. But I really like the idea to use this live AND in the studio. So I´ve ordered the mimiq one moth before it came out. That is the first fx that I´ve ever buyed even before it was reviewed by the public.

As for I am not the best reviewer, because I use very own techniques far away from standard guitar-hero and most guitarists do not like my way because it is not true, please see my review from the view of a studioguy.

Important: Delay means in this text the some miliseconds a signal is delayed. Not the echo fx! :)

I only write in short facts because I don´t want to loose the half:

1. Update that thing. It sounded very often strange and weird and f...phasey I used it first. I think the first update calmed that a little bit. At the beginning every 5-10 seconds the phasey sound changed. Horrible. but it is far better now after updating (i think, correct me if I´m wrong)
    2. that thing is NOT easy to use.
    3. I hooked it right after the AMP Section (X-Slot)
    4. I Used Mono IN and Stereo OUT. In the far too small und uncomplete documentation is no word about how the stereo in is realy used (internally). I hooked it stereo in and it did´nt sound right. I do not found out how the signal chain ist changed in the mimiq when I use stereo insted of mono IN. Why all the mess? ... it sounded not really other or better or right. Maybe you need a true stereo signal like a keyboard or so. But not a guitar. Did not test the mimiq right after something like a stereo chorus yet. Did somebody?

5. the mimiq has one really awfull fault:
    one voice (bypass): original voice middle
    two voices: doubled voice left, original right
    three voices: dubled voice 1 left, doubled voice 2 middle, original right (THAT IS IN FACT CRAP, I tell later why)
    four voices: 2 doubled left, one doubled and original right

you see, the original signal is always right.
    And that is the problem (specially in 3 voices mode)

The original Voice has NO digital Delay (true bypass). The doubled voices have some miliseconds digital delay (I think from the AD/DA). So the mimiq ALWAYS sounds like there is a minimal bathroom like echo on all. Ok. Not sooooo bad (for the germans: Wortwitz). BUT you always feel like the guitar(s) are not centered or wheigted equally, the whole field is always a little to the right.

(You can emulate the same sideFX if you take a mono track, double it, play it hard left right panned as stereomono and then delay one of the tracks by lets say 3 milliseconds. Most will understand. Same with the mimiq.)

This panning effect can be softened by putting down the dry signal a little bit (the manual says: don´t ever do that...).
    The quad guitars sound ok. You´ve got to play around with the tightness knob around to find a nice spot.

Workarounds:
    use 3 voices and pull down the dry to zero. Now you have 2 voices, but equally delayed (correct). The delay on the effectvoices is very minimal but causes a strange sound when mixed with the dry (undelayed) sound as I told. Or use 2 voices. I wasn´t able to find out yet which of these bioth options is more usabel.

the four voices is... I can´t use it at that point really good. Just because it sounds so panned. I´ve got to gittest further.

6. Hint: it seems to be good for me: the more distorsion the more the the tightnes knob to the left (tighter). The cleaner the more to the right. 12 o´clock is nice for fast cleans. Slow played cleans sound very nice at "very loose".

7. tightness fully to the left (very tight) sound unnatural. BUT it sounds in mode two voices like a very good stereo widener without chorus artifacts etc (HELLLLO, that´s what I´ve looked for).

I think I´ll ask tc electronic if the can put in 3 voices mode the original voice in the middel. Think the delayroomypanned right problems should be ignorable then. There is one switch unused left inside, maybe they could use that. Or even a complete editor like for the hall of fame which just was great (via USB).
    OR I´ll ask them if it is possible to delay the original voice (f... true bypass :)) the same amount the FX-Voices are delayd (via DIPswitch or software).

conclusion:
    as doubler: ok
    as tripler: to far to the side
    as quad: depending, but it sound not sooooo true PLUS it is a little bit right panned by the delay

as stereowidener (tightness to full virginity): yep, VERY nice. Like. I´ll put it in the back of my kemper UNTIL Kemper puts something similiar in the FX-section. (PLEASEPLEASEPLEASEPLEASE)

compared with the stereo-widener fx already in the kemper: completly different field. The kemper FX is more a frequency divider. Some freq to the left and some to the right. Stereo voila. But it is the same voice. Part left, part right.

the mimiq changes with different yet unknown (I think, chorus, changing pitch and timing) combinations the fx-voice and adds it. So it IS a different voice.

If you got any suggestions or hints or experiences with this realy interesting effect, please share. I think there is much more usable stuff in it.

add1:
    I only did test it in studiosituiation yet. I´ll test it on PA the next days (not really live, but I´ve got a PA in the cellar for testing mixes loud :))

add2:
    at this moment I test the crystal delay and mimiq quad. I´m dying. That´s incredible in combination!

+1

that is one of the last things missing. Read about the MIMIQ. Exactly what could be heavenly useful.

A doubler (with monomode), a tripler (1 left, 1 middle and 1 right OR monomode) and even a quad.

That would be... I can´t find the right words :)

yes

I want a Kemperplugin like the VirusPlugin. Just using the hardware like a VST. For Automationpurposes this would be great.

Imagine following:
    YOu have your liveset running with Cubase (or similar) with a clicktrack for the drummer, the maintrack with backings for the pa and maybe some automations for your other synthhardware like.... the virus or so.
    And a controllertrack for the kemper. Why not.

A full functional 16parts controller (at the same time) like the virus is only imagination. The Kemper can only process ONE Guitar. In my tracks I need from 1 to 12 guitar tracks. So maybe you would need 12 Kempers. Or an advanced multitrackstudiokemper...hmmm... wait... nice Idea :)

hi there

finally I got my Access Virus.

And along with the KemperAmp I don´t need much more to record realy great Tracks. Damn nice combination for small studio work.

(okok, the Virus is a damn b***h to get it running. But when it finally runs, everything is dreamycreamy!)

just had to say this.

@CK
    You made one of the best synths on earth
    You made the perfect amp
    not much left what to do, eh? :)

please make a drumcomputer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
    just happy

Hi,

agree with mono. Live it seems to be better (more pressure everywhere)

Reality check:
    on (smaller) festivals and many (smaller or underground) venues the foh has very limited channels. So very often they say: no I haven´t enough, can you give me a mono. So I decided to prepare live rig always in mono.

With EDM-Bands or anything electronic with a playback track behind you, they might be an interesting problem: Tracks are often produce in full stereo, often the FOH plays this. And now you´re mono guitar sounds "better" than the stereotrack (with all the stereoproblems live). So maybe someday I decide to send a stereosignal to the foh, just to fit better in the sound (inkl. stereo reverb and delay). But for now, I send mono. I just don´t want the discussion with the FOH. Often they are very well trained for monoguitar, but tremble with stereoguitarFX.

@ck
    Nice hint. But the Definition swaps the distorsion from a bassdistorsion (Definition 0) over freqs equally wheigted (Definition 5) to highs wheigted distorsion (Definition 10).

That´s the right direction.

But
    Master Bommel asks for a 3 band disto, but Definition is a one knob solution. (ohhhh.... Definition 0 is so sweet for Santana Boogie Sounds).

Imagine (or remember) the Bass-Distorsion Pedals which let´s the bassfreqs undistortet. And now something for the gits: both (or better 3) bands are distorted (seperatly) [independend]. Total control. The separated bands distort to different harmonics and so on. Controllabel (for example if you only want to distort lows and highs but NOT the mids).

Maybe you know it: check out the FAB Filters "Saturn" VST-Plugin. This one can distort in seperate bands. Thats something different ("Schon was anderes :)"), you even have a 4-band-eq for every separate band to get in control of all the harmonics :)

sorry for clumsy writing. Hit the wrong button and had to write all this a second time.

by the way, do we already have a Bassguitardistorsionmodule in the Kemper?

goth thx to ck for kempering us all!

p.s.
    all my words above are some assumptions. I understand that Definition 10 is very much like a multiband disto, but it´s not fully controllabel.

p.p.s.
    Better example:
    We try to get something like this:
    distorted bass, undistorted mids, distorted highs
    that´s not achievabel with definition

Beside of a perfect livemachine...

I used it in the studio for Vocals (for fun and testing distorted industrial vocals)

and
    with a Blues Harp (great!!!) [usually you play blues harp with an tube(-guitar-)amp with a liiiiitle overdrive for that bluesy sound]

profiled a access Virus (synthesizer with some distorsionfx :))

let´s see what could be interesting in the future

Yesterday I used the Superlux SF12A on a medium stage (6-8m wide) (had it with me to create an "hotspot" for me).
    Style: Loud electronica with drums and gits on stage

With a very loud drummer and no gits on the floormonitors. It was not far away from the maximum of the monitor, but I like the sound. It´s hissing a little, but always at the same level. Damn heavy, but good to handle. About 180€. Will buy another one (for stereo at home):

Superlux SF12A overall:
    hissing (who cares on stage)
    very warm sound (love it)
    CHEAP!
    just enough power to survive a hell of a drummer

what I hate:
    no cover (thomann) and no alternate seller in germany.

Yah, I understand. As I first used the Kemper with my own studiomixer, I was surprised, at how hot the signal was.

I don´t use spdif or the headphone out, nor do I reamp at the moment. So detick master is just enough.

thx anyway!

@both
    very very useful answers! Thank you!!!

I just encountered that when I tick of "main out link" in the outputs, I can use the mastervolume poti to change volume on my monitorcab only! Everyday something new. Perfect. So FOH gets my -15db (if thats not cool, I can change it while soundchecking) and have access to my monitorcabvolume at hand. Great!

love you all! thx!

hi over there,

(short: what may be the ideal master-out volume-setting for FOHs?)

I´m using the kemper in my studio and practicing with a small pa and monitors. My Rigs are close to yellow output (led), but only close. Mostly a compressor is on Slot X or mod. So rig-volume is good for my use. So the questions is: What MASTER-Volume is mostly used by FOHs (via stage box/xlr)?

I ask this because: I´m recording analog out with 7 (0-10 is the scale on master) and my small practicing PAs mixer only allows something about 2 before clipping (in the input). That´s all ok, I assume my PA has cheap inputs.But as you see, different settings...

But what maybe the right output on stage? Via XLR to Stagebox (and from there to the FOH).

And, sorry, no, I don´t know what mixer it will be. Some proffessional thingie I think. It´s a 1000 People gig. Or so. I think. I have NO possibility to contact anyone. I am just the guitarbi**h of an Industrialact at that eve :). Sorry the b-word :) but it seems to get the official word for that type of job. :)

Had miced Amps before on stage.

thanks in advance and happy holidays to all kemperists

A friend an myself profiled some fx and distorsions from the access virus ti :) Just for fun. Seek Virus in the rig manager :)

Sounds crappy. Sounds so crappy, that I HAVE to use it :)

I´m interested in hwat can be profiled and misused, too. :)

That are the most wise words I´ve heard for long time.

For me: Got Kemper, my 2 Dreamamps and all I need are more guitars (GAS!). OK, playing in front of "da real thing" will always something unique. But for rec and live, nothing goes over the KPA. I like to say: I´ve got my racing car as work horse (Kemper), my Amps for gloomy sundays and what´s left? Yes, GAS for the gas: guitars. First time in my live I´m thinking of building my own. And in a strange way, my KPA gave me this peace :)

and one more little thing: I really hate these eliteforceplayers with too much money, alsways complaining about what they have (this amp from ´69 or that thingie that was once sucked by jimi or so), KPA finally gave me the option to KNOW that guitar amplification is something beautiful, but no magic that is only affordable by rich. lalala, I´m texting far to much today :)