Posts by Netheravon

Hi all,

Firstly, sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I was wondering if there was a way to hear a reamped tone without actually recording that tone every time. Let me explain a bit:

I want to reamp a clean tone but don't want to have to go through the process of having to record a large section again and again with various settings in order to hear which is most suitable to the track. I want to be able to maybe play 30 secs or so on loop and be able to change settings on the kemper and be able to listen to that in real time as I tweak. Is this possible?

I hope that makes sense :S

I get swollen tendons along the ulna where it joins the wrist. Started a few years ago and prevents me playing anywhere near as much as I used to or would like to. If I play for more than an hour a day or particularly if I practise legato exercises, it swells again and hurts for days. I've had this checked in the local hospital and had x-rays and ultra-sound scans, which showed that 'there were some changes in the tendons'. However, the doctors have given me no idea how to deal with it or how to help it get better! So, basically I just have to manage it as best I can and as with the OP stretch - the hand in particular. This seems to help a little. Icing it and anti-inflammatories have no noticeable effect at all. I already have my guitar strap pretty short to lesson stress on the wrist, but don't really know what else to do.

A question:

Would it have anything to do with reproduced frequencies? What I mean is that a guitar amp produces frequencies within a smaller limit than a digital device, so putting a OD pedal infront of the KPA could mean the KPA is producing sounds at a higher range than the actual guitar amp could and so maybe sound harsh? And if this is possible would placing a pre-eq in help?

Only an idea, as I said really it's 'a question'

I have a prs 20th Anni, which has VB and HFS treble PUs. So, not exactly the same for sure, but I can get decent crunch and distorted sounds. I think Martin may have got to the issue mentioning the clean and distorted sense. I am pretty new to the Kemper too btw, but am enjoying it a lot so far, but it was a bit of a learning curve and I still think I'm not 100% there on my tones. However, it's the clean and distorted sense that can change the sound to either, yup you guessed it, a clean or distorted sound when using particularly a crunch setting. It kind of blends the two signals - I doubt this is exactly what it does, but it feels this way. So if you have too much distortion on a crunch setting you can add some clean sense/remove some distorted sense and this adds definition to the notes. Make sure you have this set up correctly and see if it helps?:) and good luck!

Before spending money check out the Vintage profiles by Oraakkeli 'Old and Forgotten amp profiles'. They are vintage sounding as that's what they are, but they are wonderful and on my gear I dont have to do much tweaking at all. Great free profiles. I also really think DB profiles on the RE (type DB in the search box) - the Dr Z but also the EVH are very nice indeed.

I love my KPA. What it's doing for me at the moment is simply inspiring me to play. We all get the fact that any non-players (like spouses) don't understand: that a reason for another guitar, amp or even stomp box is to get a different sound from what we already can produce and thus a different feel. This isn't just for the hell of it or through boredom, it's because different sounds inspire us to play different things in different ways, and this is why I LOVE the KPA. I can change amp to something I might not normally play and suddenly there I am using legato and tapping and sweep picking, then I change to a lovely Vox AC30 and I'm playing nice crunchy U2 sounding lines, then I change to a nice vintage amp (thanks Oraakkeli!!!) and I'm playing really nice old blues.

This device is so damn inspiring! I love it!

I downloaded some this morning on IE, no probs at all and I am seriously impressed. I hook up the guitar, strum a chord and it's instant time machine stuff, especially on the cranked profiles for me!!

I think, due to the number of different profiles you've made, these are as close to 'plug and play' profiles as I have seen!

Thanks a lot for making these available, especially for free!

All I can say is I would look on the RE at amps you like the sound of as there are plenty of decent profiles. Then just preview the 5 star ones and save ones you like. Maybe spend a little time looking at the free and commercial rig section, there tends to be a few that are raved about and start there?

Unfortunately I am not sure there are any plug and play ones as your gear will differ from the next persons, but there are loads that are close.

If it sounds too shrill try pulling back on the definition a bit and ofc the presence and treble on the front eq. It says in the manual ( I think ) that too high a setting on the definition can sound to piercing at high volume.

Maybe some one else can comment on flubby bass? My guess would be you may have too much of it going on, could try pulling back on it a little and maybe gain too?

I don't know if this will help but the best advice I've had regarding the sound of profiles came from Andy from the Amp Factory saying to use the definition, clarity parameters and pre post eqs and ofc the main eqs on the front:) I find I can get a really good sound with lots of profiles just adding some definition and clarity and using the front eqs. A lot of profiles sound very muddy/nasal on my DXR10 and PRS until I do this. Some you can't go wrong with though eg the Morgan AC20 people talk about, I sometimes just increse the gain by a couple on this for a more pushed sound, it's great. Also have a look through rig manager and simply preview lots, plenty of good tones out there. Just type in something, eg AC30 and try some of the highest rated profiles. Don't spend too long trying to dial in one that just sounds bad to start with as I find there are so many that if 2 or 3 sounds bad another 2 or 3 will sound good and need much less tweaking for my gear. Then when I am happy I just store it. I only have about 140 profiles actually on my KPA at the moment and all are very useable. Many are from The Amp Factory, I find all of those great with, as I said, a bit more clarity, definition and slight eq-ing.

I also have to tweak the EQs at band volumes though, as I have to preview sounds at home when the kids sleep:) But I don't find it too hard to just spend 5-10mins before we start to change them a little.

Hope this is helpful in someway to you but not having a CLR or your exact guitar, cables, pick etc I can't give much more advice. You WILL be able to find some great tones though.

Well done OneEng, really glad your gig went well and you're loving the Kemper ;)

Coincidentally, it was my first gig with the Kemper last Saturday night too, was just a function band gig so nothing to exciting but good fun. We play mostly funk and soul tracks so generally I play clean Fender or Vox profiles with just a few of the 30 or so songs we play requiring some OD sounds. For these I used the Morgan AC20 with slightly pushed gain with humbuckers.

Setting up the Kemper for me was much simpler as I used my DXR10 as backline and didn't go FOH. This was simply due to logistics, but I love the flexibility of this set up. I can use the DXR10 as a personal monitor if I can go FOH and mix my own amount of 'more guitar in this monitor'! or as on Sat, can just use it more like a traditional backline amp.

Sounds were good, but think I need a bit more on the top to cut the mix better: lots of what I do are the rhythm parts including plenty of wah. Btw, I have seen people having issues with the wah on the Kemper, once calibrated I have found the FCB1010 fine with the Kemper cry baby wah. My OD sounds also needed a bit more on the high end too, mainly to cut through the other guitarist. I sound similar to the other guitarist in OneEng1's post as I love warm, mid-dialed lead sounds, but sometimes they don't cut through and need adjusting.

Anyway, all in all, I am in love with this box of tricks. Every day I want to play it and it was great at its first gig, just a little bit of tweaking needed, but I expected that as most of the time I have to work out the sounds I am going to use at 'shhhhhhh the children are asleep' friendly volumes!

Hey all,
    Just wanted to pick some brains over a carry case/gig bag for the FCB1010. What do you use or suggest? Nothing too expensive please given the price of the unit itself;)