Posts by midwest

Hey there! Has anyone created a good 12-string effect in the Kemper? My band has added the song "the Look" and I need that effect (since I don't own a 12-string electric guitar). An octave effect doesn't work because it adds an octave to the high B and E strings. The old digitech Mosaic pedal did a nice job of mimicking a 12 string. Wondering if anyone has a present they could send me or at least explain to me how they got the effect. and if anyone has covered the Look and dialed in the entire guitar tone, that would be awesome to have as well...

I had latency issues, but was able to work around them for my current band. First, I switched to performance mode and this helped greatly. I also arranged performances so they matched my setlist. I.e., performance 1 = song 1, performance 2 = song 2. And then each slot in a performance covers all of my sounds for that song. Then I use simple CC changes only. cc 48 value 0 to move from one performance/song to the next in the set list. I do this at the end of the previous song (it switched the kemper but until I pick a slot I still have my last sound working for the ending of the song. Then cc54 value 1 to always go to slot 5, which i make the first guitar sound i need for that next song. then for any guitar change in the song (clean to dirty or to lead, etc...), i do a simple cc54-50 with value 1 to the proper slot. In ableton, I have the cc changes 1/32 note before the guitar part starts. That is (almost always) the exact right amount of time for the signal to get sent and the kemper to switch slots in the performance. One other thing I did was limit the length of my midi cable to 10 feet. I had a 20 foot cable but that seemed to increase latency.

hope this helps you out!

I can't seem to find the answer in the manual. I use kemper stage in performance mode for gigs. I have all my songs for a gig saved as their own performances. As I scroll to each new performance for each song in the set, I have every song starting with the tones in Slot 5. Is there a setting so that when i hit the "up" button to scroll to the next performance it auto selects the next performance with slot 5? Right now, I hit the button to scroll up and then i have to tap on slot 5 each time. Not a big deal, but would be nice to minimize the foot tapping.

Paults - i looked at the manual and it didn’t seem easy or intuitive, but I’m not a techie at all. Are there any videos or easy instructions to follow to set up syncing my two kemper stages? They are the same in every respect.

Ok. Ill look into midi. I originally tried to have ableton live control my kemper stage by midi for the entire show but after about 3 weeks of working properly using program changes assigned to trigger particular slots in particular performances, it started randomly triggering the wrong performances and slots despite me not changing the program changes. So I’m a bit hesitant of midi, but if i inly need it to change between slots 1-5 that might be simple enough to accomplish.

Thanks. I see that I can use a 2 button external switch to scroll through performance slots. However, ideally i'd like a 4 or 5 button switch that could be assigned to the corresponding performance slots. Sometimes I go from a verse to a chorus or a bridge to a solo and my slots are not always used sequentially. So I may need to, for example, jump from slot 5 to slot 2. I'm looking for a way to not have to scroll though slots 2, 3, and 4 to get to slot 5 during the show in real-time. Any suggestions for this function?

Thanks!

In my band, i use a kemper stage. I am back by the drummer but want to be able to come out front for solos or different other parts of songs. Is there a way to connect a pedal or my second kemper stage i have as my backup to place front center stage that will let me control the main kemper stage (sitting in the back by my normal spot by the drummer)? I use performance mode and create a performance for every song. I need a pedal (or some other way) so that I can switch between slots 2-5 in a particular performance when I go out front. Any suggestions?

I have a Kemper and am now getting a Kemper Stage. I want to put my entire Kemper backup (all performances, rigs, system settings, presets, etc.) from my Kemper on the Kemper Stage so that they are identical. My question is: will my backup file copy over the same version of the operating system I am using to my Kemper Stage? Or do I need to update that separately? I ask because I am not using the current release and do not want to update until after my first shows this weekend post-covid, but want to be able to use the Stage live. If installing my backup file copies over the operating system file then awesome! If not, I guess I'll have to do that separately.

Thanks!

Thanks. Just a quick follow up to your second to last comment. Sometimes, I'm sending a PC to change to a new performance slot and also have wah action drawn in ableton for that new slot so that I do not need to manually use the wah. Is this considered more than one midi command that will cause even greater lag?

Hi all -

long time kemper user here. My new music project requires that I set all my performances to change via midi. I've never used midi but figured out how to use program changes to move between performances and slots in performance mode. When playing along, I notice there is a slight lag between when the midi sends the change and when my Kemper stage actually changes slots. It is a bit of an issue when going from a rhythm part to a solo, for example, because the first beat of the solo is still using the rhythm patch as the kemper performance slot changes. When I manually switch performance slots using the buttons it has always be instantaneous (to my ears anyway). But with midi there is a noticeable lag.

My current solution is to set the midi PC to about a 16th note before I want the performance slot to change, and that pretty much makes up for the lag. But I'm wondering if this is typical, or if there is a method I should be using that makes midi changes pretty much instant.

To the extent it matters, I'm using Ableton to run the midi, goes to a soundcard with midi out to kemper into midi channel 16.

Thanks in advance for any help here.

This was my "go to" rig for gigging. I averaged about 4 shows a month with this rig for about 5 years (though the last 6 months it has not been used due to covid). Other than downloading a bunch of commercial rigs and tweaking them for shows, I limited my Kemper use to gigs. I just purchased a Stage for convenience to use in a new project that I just started. I have no need for both Kempers so am selling the Rack to buy nice IEMs and pay off my Stage. I'd like to sell as a complete package. Everything works great. Everything is in great condition. Normal wear and tear. If there is any issue it is the standard problem everyone seems to have that the cable between the remote and the rack is loose connecting to the rack. It can cause the Remote to drop out if you do not ensure it is plugged in fully. I live In Madison Wisconsin, and am happy to ship if you're willing to pay for it. I'll consider any reasonable offer.

Thanks!

I accidentally held (and kept it held) down the start button on startup. I Wasn't really thinking and did this by accident as that’s how you have to shut it down. The stage did not boot up and instead went to an error screen where it told me to call kemper. I couldn’t do anything but unplug the stage and restart (which got it back to normal). Is this a normal function?

I own the rack unit and purchased a stage (coming today!!!). I want to make my stage an identical rig to my rack (all rigs, performances, clean sense, output EQs, stored presets, etc...). Is that as easy as simply downloading my latest backup of my Rack to the Stage? Is there anything I need to do first? For example, do I need to make sure they are first both using the same operating system update? do I need to change any internal Stage settings manually (like pedal functions) that aren't part of importing a backup? Thanks! Just don't want to mess it up.

One follow up question - hopefully also easy - Does Rig Manager need to be set up any different for my Stage and Rack units? Or does the same local library and such work regardless of the unit I have connected?

Thanks! Just trying to avoid any hiccups as I get things organized.

I know I read some threads from a week or so ago about how noisy the acoustic simulator is. I'm wondering if anyone found a solution to it? I just updated to the latest firmware and tried the effect. It is a great sounding effect but the noise makes it unusable. For me, it doesn't matter what slot I put it in or what guitar I use. What does eliminate the noise entirely is turning on the cab section. Also, if I roll the volume all the way down on my guitar or if I roll the tone know all the way down, the noise goes away. Makes me think it is a very pronounced high frequency in the simulator itself that is causing this. Is this the case for anyone else? Has anyone found the solution to this? Still confused why some people have no noise while others, like me, have lots of noise. On a similar note, does anyone have an acoustic IR they would share so I can try to load that into the cab to see if it allows me to use the acoustic simulator noise free?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

I own a Kemper rack and am looking into getting the Stage. I see that some knobs are different/missing and some functions are located in different places (or have to be accessed differently) and I'm currently using an older operating system than what's on the Stage. I'm wondering if I make a backup of my Rack unit and import it into the Stage, will all my settings be there? In particular, the main noise gate, input sense, the output EQ options I've created, output volume options, all my performances as I've created them, the space setting, how I have my wah set up (calibration, wah > morph), etc?

Just wondering how much I'll need to actually program or whether I can download a backup and be off and running right away exactly as I'm used to it now (just with an awesome floor unit instead).

Thanks!

I own a Kemper and an AX8. I've never worried about the superiority debate. Both sound amazing. Both are very high quality builds. I'm a weekly gigging musician, started with the Kemper but moved to the AX8 for convenience. However, it lacked a couple of functions that I can get with the KPA, so I'm back using that as my gigging rig. I've asked Fractal to add them and I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Just like it's only a matter of time before we get a FM9 that truly captures everything the Ax III can do and more - all in a floorboard. The digital age is amazing that way.

I personally love the idea of new product lines. Everyone has their own preferences, needs, and desires. But it is great that a company that puts out the highest digital modeling quality as Fractal is willing and able to develop multiple product lines that appeal to most everyone's particular situation. Some of you only play in your bedrooms. Great. Until you join a band and start gigging. Then maybe you'd wish for something different. Same with those of you who are fine with a powered rack unit and floorboard and FRFR. Until you get a bad back and wish you had less gear to muck around and suddenly embrace the idea of straight to FOH. Anyway, I'd love to see Kemper put out a floor unit - with or without profiling abilities. Just like we are happy they Kemper finally has a decent editor. I can't imaging Kemper is against new product lines aimed at target audiences they currently don't fully capture. Hopefully it's just a matter of time.