Posts by slateboy

However, I’m really more interesting in the midi over USB side of things.

I recall seeing somewhere how you can get an arduino to be recognised as a class-compliant midi device by re-flashing the device.

On their own, certain ones can appear to windows PC as midi device but not to the Kemper without some in-depth tinkering.

Ah, yes, i think i see what you are aiming to achieve. It certainly is a bit of faff to get the range converted into two NRPN values (as you have shown)

As for scaling, i think this is why its possible to get values of <0.0> and <-0.0> (yes, minus zero!!!) obviously due to some rounding of values where the decimal places are not visible. I did encounter this myself when trying to control my player, Not for the faint-hearted.

take a look here:

I've certainly never needed to do any midi-maths, other than calculate a sysex-checksum (not for Kemper) or bit-shift operations so your stuff seems overly complicated, but again, maybe i dont fully understand your mission

I believe it is Wheresthedug has the droll comment in his sig "Way more gear than talent". That applies massively to me. I will be using a MIDI foot controller for sending the MIDI messages, an XSonic Airstep or maybe a PaintAudio MIDI Captain. I have a couple of other old devices I have accumulated over time that I might dust off also. The Airstep can send PC, CC, and SysEx, I believe the MIDI Captain will be soon able to send SysEx also. The end device is hardware, a Kemper Player or maybe a Stage. I am slowly piecing together all the info I have found on MIDI as related to Kemper, and can do basic stuff likely changing rigs, etc. But I want to understand the Kemper doc fully, so I can start going the next step of changing Kemper effects to intermediate levels, etc.

Sorry if i misunderstand, but would it not just be simpler to buy a piece of hardware that already exists?

i understand your situation though because i have, numerous times, built my own midi controllers but ended up using an "off-the-shelf" bit of kit that does all i need for live use. I do enjoy the tec-side and making things so will probably continue to do so but if (and this might not apply to yourself) you struggle with understanding midi, programming and the hardware you can save much time and frustration letting someone else do the work, ie buying a ready-made device.

It was intended as tongue in cheek not a statement of fact.

ah, yeh, sorry if i misunderstood. I am a grumpy old sod who has seen the UK gig scene change over the last 30 years, so i'm with you on that.

Kind of pleased i'm not a teenager starting out now. I dont know if its me getting old or what but i think many of the young lack the passion and commitment (or too many distractions, social expectations) or want instant results.

Saying that, i've met some great young musicians and with determination they can apply themselves and wish them the all the success they deserve but they are up against many more hurdles than i was back in the day.

sorry if we've gone off topic

was it this one?

They do a wireless version.

btw, im not affiliated nor endorse these

There are still plenty of people that still make a living gigging and studio for hire who do not bother with social media stuff. Not as much as the decades prior, but still plenty.

here here. And many pro-players that dont have input on forums so we never get to hear from them

Nobody gigs for a living anymore 🤦‍♂️ Those days are long gone. Its all about YouTube/Instagram/TickTock views and advertising revenue now.

i know this is a bit off topic, but curious as to the basis of that statement. To whom do you refer to?

Yes, i agree, there are far more home/bedroom players than gigging musicians. After all, thats how we all started and 99% of us started playing because we enjoy it not as the path to our main income.

with a midi controller you could.

there's many out there. here is one solution:

Can someone else check this please?

Since the latest firmware update for the player (v10.9.8) the chorus effect, certainly when placed post-amp) seems to have a louder output than i recall.

I am finding i have to set the output level of the chorus to around -2.5 so that the ON sound is an comparable output level to when it is in its OFF state.

For anyone switching a chorus effect on & off they will need to make this adjustment get an even level balance.

Is this be design? I am aware there are some psyco-acoustic effects going on but also on a VU meter the output is significantly different.

I would expect this type of effect to be a similar output level when set at output=0 comparing the enabled to disabled sound. (i appreciate this is not the case for gain-based effects such as overdrive, etc)

BTW

I have noticed similar on the rack in the past but only to less of an extent (-1 output level appears the same volume when on or off)

I dont know why but when i post this message i see this (image below):

kemper-amps.com/wbb/attachment/19336/

yet i cant alter it and when i edit this post that text vanishes. More AI wrongly assuming the users meaning?

a little demo of the new "v4 super setup" operating mode:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

here's a nice and easy solution-

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Obviously, if you wish to lock the operation of a button it will consequently require a little time and effort to unlock that button.

I think this is also a problem with bidirectional communication. Dr. Wilson can fully implement it through programming, but the significance of doing so is not significant and may affect the operation of the system

Kemper did not actively send status information outward. If midicaptain sends requests to Kemper on a scheduled basis, the massive data flow will consume a lot of system resources

So, it's not wise to do this

Moreover, at midiCaptain's current pricing, there is no reason for it to do so much, is there? Haha

that makes sense, AppleTreeChen

You are correct- where the big kempers can send midi upon the Kemper parameters being changed the smaller player does not do this so, yes, it would need the midicaptain to continuously request data to look for changes which is not good. I assume from what you have already said, when the midi captain sends a program change message it also requests the preset/slot name via sysex (as we discussed in another thread: Player extended midi control demo and how to show slot-names)

Another similar solution would be for the midi captain buttons to send slot-number changes (rather than a midi-program number) and the bank up/down sends bank change messages (again opposed to program-change messages) Upon each slot-change message it would therefore request the name of the chosen bank, either chosen on the midi-captain or the Kemper player and calculate the bank+slot number on the available data. This would be a far more efficient approach and account for any changes made on either device with the added benefit of only send midi data on those occasions.

Again, slightly more complex but it appears the developer is committed to making this the best product possible.

Just sharing my thoughts.

Alternatively, the option for the user to choose between having buttons assigned to the instant access controls (slot A, B, Del, Rev) or alternatively instant bank up/down would be a more practical live solution. It is great the standard mode allows us to choose the functionality of each and every button making it a very flexible unit. Again, some compromises (extra programming) involved.

Is there anyway to be involved with the development of the midi-captain, especially with the Kemper-related features?

You AppleTreeChen seem to have a close and inside relationship with Mr Wilson and i appreciate your input and support with all of this.

That sounds great. The only thing i think would improve this is quick access (not a long press) to move between banks. In a live gig situation I can imagine many players wanting to jump multiple banks in between songs with limited time.

With the restriction of ten buttons I appreciate some compromise must be made so perhaps a combination of two-button press could offer other functionality?

Unfortunately, after my testing (I received my midicaptain 10 switch version yesterday), there are still some issues with the latest firmware that need to be resolved, and we still need to wait. I believe it won't be too long

thanks for the update. I will await the official release.

Could you share any video-demos of how its looking and the features available, please?