Posts by slateboy

Nice that the tempo indicator on the player works (sort of)

(the tap indicator on the rack has been the source of many disgruntled users owing to the inconsistent flashing, but thats another thread....)

BUT...

You tap the button in time with the beat and the LED flashes at that bpm but the LED flash is inverse to how it was tapped.

I would expect that if i tap to the pulse of the music the LED flashes accoredingly. However, it appears to be off on the pulse and on inbetween

count & tap

pulse 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &

==TAP 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

==LED - & - & - & - &

IT makes logical sense to me that the LED is illuminated ON with the pulse not OFF on the pulse.

Certainly checking your BPM with the music is made easier with a flash on the beat not an eighth note later.

PaintAudio

slateboy, this is their official website where DR WILSON's contact information makes it easy to find him personally. Midicaptain is a very interesting product. If you are willing to spend time waiting, Dr. Wilson can provide personalized firmware services based on the specific requirements of each customer service, and it is free.

In China, we communicate through WeChat. If you have any questions, you can first contact Dr. Wilson via email and then agree on a communication method for one-on-one communication. Dr. Wilson is a person who is very willing to communicate.

Thanks for that info. Still interested to hear how your experiences, as an end user, are when coupled with your kemper player.

Hey AppleTreeChen

following your interest in the system exclusive name retrieval of the Kemper player, i took an interest in the midi captain pedal, which i had not encountered previously. Seems to be a very flexible unit so i'm interested to know how you get on with the further development and customisation for the Kemper devices. Have you any special info or a video to demonstrate some of this "custom" functionality?

Hi slateboy - I use the midi option at the moment and it’s great but my midi pedal doesn’t have any kind of ‘light’ to say it’s on or off - sometimes it just stays on because I forget lol - after some form of knowing that it’s on lol

sympathise with your situation.

The limited visual indication of which FX blocks are on and the "yet to learn" coded "bank-numbers-by-colour" on the player does make it a little harder to use than the rack or stage. Though i appreciate what Kemper have done with a compact unit is awesome.

Certainly some visual indication on your midi device could prove highly useful.

Out of interest, sfa_100 what midi device are you using and how are you using it ?

simplest way is to use one of your FX blocks as a boost.

You could also control the output volume with an expression pedal and set the working range (ie min = rhythm volume, max = solo volume) to save consuming an FX block.

You could get an additional pedal that offers a similar function (compressor/volume/boost/etc)

going a step further, and a bit more technical, you could access the rig volume via midi control, as demonstrated here:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

thread in these forums-

PS if you want the sysex code for retrieveing rig names, i posted it here:

Very practical

How is it possible to display rig name on the MIDI controller screen?

as briefly described in the video, using midi system exclusive, you can request the value of many parameters including the name of the rig as a string.

You obviously have to then process the midi data returned (which is another system exlusive message) and convert that data in order to output to your display device.

You could do this in a simple midi editor (something like midiOx?) but the data returned would be nothing more than a chain of numbers. The rig name is a series of ascii values (characters representd by numbers) You could of course build something using PC/Mac software but i am not educated enough to cover that.

I dont really use this pedal. It was more of a nerdy project to do a few years back. I do recall it took hours and hours.

summary-

in order to do something like this you need to understand about the following-

• midi protocol
    • system exclusive (send and receive)
    • ascii code
    • hexadecimal numbering system
    • microprocessor control and display
    • some programming knowledge that can interact with midi data

if any of those mean little or nothing then i'd probanly suggest not going down this rabbit hole without doing your homework.

Been watching this issue and may have found the culprit- a badly fitting 3rd-party power-connector.

admins/tec-support:

Does the internal power-supply circuit (not the external PSU) have smoothing/filtering besides the ability to handle 9-12v?

I wonder how much or a brief power fluctuation the player can deal with?

And, what are the correct dimensions for the DC connector-terminal (internal and external)

Thanks for info dfdfan and Steve5478

This led me to do some further investigation and i discovered that you can actually access those hidden parameters via NRPN midi data,

Example of accessing the amp compressor (not available using rig manager)

Amp compressor:

NRPN 1290, range= 0-16383 (NRPN MSB:10 LSB:10)

and away you go!

Definitely one for the midi-nerds.

Now, who can provide a list of all the parameters that are hidden?

So we know there are certain compromises and omissions from the Player, making it the (great little) compact unit that it is.

With the full-blown units (stage/rack/etc) there are parameters such as "compression" in the amp section. (others too but i dont recall from memory)

What happens to these when imported to the Player?

Are they there but inaccessible (they dont appear in rig manager) or can they be accessed via NRPN midi parameters?

Or, if they are discarded as part of the import, is their value still applied but fixed at the value it would have been saved on the rack/stage units?

Curious to know as if i want more "amp compression" could i set it on my rack then export/import the updated rig back to the player or is it bypassed or lost?

Warning, nerd alert for all midi enthusiasts and system-exclusive geeks alike...

Using an external midi controller can gain extra functionality to your Player, including a level boost without consuming an FX slot.

You can even display the names of the Kemper Player on a screen or midi controller.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i currently have RM version 3.5.20 and player OS 10.9.3.50342 but when checking RM for software updates it says OS 10.9.2 is available.

Is this an error as it appears to be offering an older RM and older Player OS ?

Anyone else found the 9v power-supply connection temperamental or unreliable?

I notice that a light knock or nudge of the plug is enough to momentarily interrupt the supply voltage which results in the Player crashing (single flashing red LED on the bank button)

Thinking ahead, if this is to be used on stages where there is some vibrations likely i am not confident with it.

What are the specs, ie dimensions (internal and external) of the 9v socket and plug.

There is clearly some "play" in the terminal and although the supplied power-supply has a better-than-average plug it is still possible to wiggle to a point of no contact. I'd expect the internal voltage regular to have some additional smoothing to deal with light supply-voltage ripples but to what tolerance, i dont know.

Maybe there's some dirt on my terminal (i will take a look)

Curious to know how far you can jiggle your plug before you get a crash.