Posts by slateboy

The algorithm doesn't compare parameter by parameter. It's simply: you load a Rig and a locked modules overwrites the original.

i can’t find anything locked. I’m still getting the “E”. Does a tempo lock count? Does having the input section locked count too?

Perhaps the E notification is a bit too keen as all my performances as showing E which doesn’t really help track down any meaningful changes.

I recall on the last two updates that all my rigs showed as edited as the undo light was present even when loading fresh recalls. The only way round this was to manually save every single rig. And had to again with the following os update, which makes me reluctant to upgrade again. I had contacted support for this and the solution was to do as i done and manually save every single rig. A painstaking task to say the least.

Any edits of a Rig are indicated by an “E” on the right side of the home pages in Browser and Performance Mode and are temporary until you store the Rig.

that’s what i thought. If that is still the intention then this is either a bug or something else as to why the E persists.

btw i am not connected to rig manager whatsoever

I'm sure i've asked this in the past (and was answered by the moderators) but i cant find where...

What does the "E" in the corner of the screen mean (performance mode) ?

I thought it referred to an edited performance but all my performances are saved and not in a state of edit. Have even tried unlocking all modules and the E persists when i move between performance banks. (running v8.2.2)

Every now and then i do a back-up, common-sense, good practice, etc...

Of late, i noticed the backups taking ages to complete.

Running the current/latest OS, my back up took well over 6 minutes to do!

i have 175 rigs in my browse pool and 8 performances.

Not done so yet but i anticipate a restore would take equally the same amount of time.

How does this compare to you other users out ther?

The odd thing is that I ended up preferring the single drivers for guitar. Too much clarity at the top end is distracting for distorted guitar tones.

something i found too- as a guitarist, you don’t need the ultra highs and lows if the primary sound in your iem mix is your guitar. If anything, it’s nice having less bottom end “polluting” your iem when there can often be enough ambient LF on stage.

This effect has been in the KPA since day one and i've used it endlessly.

Having a play today i notice that the "attack" parameter also doubles as the "release" time as well.

Can anyone give a full explanation as to what each of the parameters in the compressor. Could be useful knowledge for newbies as well as a recap for the existing players.

"squash" goes by another name on most compressors (ratio?) though i figure it does more than adjust the ration. Likewise, "intensity" is more than the threshold.

Following this naming-convention, "attack" is therefore not the correct terminology, unless my ears deceive me, it should be better named to something that describes attack+release.

Im sure someone out there has a compreshensive understanding of the under-the-hood workings of this FX

Who has relocated their remote connection terminal, maybe onto a front panel or other location to lesson the use on the KPA terminal?

Anyone put one of these inline with their remote cable?

Obviously, a short ethernet-cable is then used to connect this to the actual KPA.

I'm wondering has anyone experience issues by using this "heavy duty" connector + cable as a result of a this additional inline hardware?

Do you get away without a PoE for the extra few inches?

I think the op wants additional fx besides the 4+4 fx buttons we already have. Correct?

A small workaround could (possibly) be to employ fx that have multiple processing, ie the rev and delays have a modulation/chorus effect. With a bit of tinkering (morphing) you could get these to act as either or both effect. Limited, I appreciate, but saves employing extra hardware.

Lemaitre i see your point and appreciate your situation.

If the kemper can do what you seek then, as it is, may require you to manually (by hand) select a new output configuration. Failing that, a cheap and easy alternative would be to have an A/B switching box on your output. Perhaps if you used a midi- controllable A/B box you could do everything with your foot- controller?

If your mixing desk is digital you could also automate muting the appropriate channels.

Maybe none of this is the ideal solution but just sharing some ideas.

is it not possible to use the same output(s) for all set ups but “tailor” the presets to deliver the sound required?

Or is the desk processing the two signals completely differently/ separately and in a way that the Kpa can not do?

How are you monitoring these “two” sources?

Certainly if the facilities and the time is available a more complex setup could be possible but I’d be mindful where quick change overs and simplicity may take precedence.

The Kemper Drive, Fuzz, etc, have specific parameters set to give them an authentic sound of what the presets are modeling. If you changed a parameter, it would no longer sound like the preset. I assume this is why you don't adjust unless I am missing something here.

that could be one answer but i think unlikely otherwise for the reverb fx you’d expect the level or mix to be present. Besides, if the “drive” value is there for the green scream why not for the Kemper drive or fuzz?

I noticed today, certain features are no longer available in the "newer" effects. It's a feature i've never used and only just discovered (so makes no difference to me, personally)

When selecting the "stomps" group, various parameters are available to tweak, as shown in the images. Seems newer effects do not offer this.

Anyone else noticed it? Guessing the feature is being depreciated.

was thinking, a valid counter-argument (that I’d expect to receive from Kemper and some users) is that a “traditional amp” has a crude gauge with marks from 1-10 where we rely on our ears more than our eyes. I agree (to a point) but then, as mentioned in the earlier thread, why give us 0.1 steps on visual-scale if we can’t access these steps? How about a visual representation of typical knob like the led collar on the encoders as an approximate indicator?

again, I’m not complaining (oh yes you are i hear you say) just commenting on something that may lead to more frustration than it does productivity if you’re so inclined to seek precision or accuracy in a quest to instil the confidence needed for performing, which is the ultimate achievement i think we all desire.

Next subject- the psychology of performing. Who wants to start that one….?=O

appreciate the comments, guys.

Im aware that very few of us can tell the difference between 2990Hz and 3010Hz so why offer such small and in-perceivable increments? Would it not be better to work in larger, more “manageable” steps of say 10Hz increments rather than 0.1Hz that has no real-life practical application? The ability to have such fine resolution is a credit to the designers but why have such a fine scale if it’s inaccessible?

to be fair, i’ve had my kpa many years now and being a plug-n-play user this is only an annoyance when i plunge into an editing session.

I’m sure this discussion had been covered before…

I often find it nigh on impossible to get an exact value on certain parameter settings. Possibly a regular annoyance if you have a touch of the OCD.

Does anyone know how to get precise control of Kpa parameters with fine value-adjustment, such as cut-off frequency, etc?

I find that using the encoder knobs, the smallest tweak is never small enough to +/- the steps i aim for on the display.

I challenge anyone to be able to set something like the a chosen frequency to, let’s say, exactly 3000Hz. Best i can get on a good shot is 3001.4 or 2999.7 ( you get the idea)

Maybe there’s a button to press and hold for ultra fine precision? I don’t know of one (talking kpa here, not rig manager).

I sometimes find, too, that the encoder knobs lags on their first adjustment as of the kpa is waiting for input to focus and await the new value input.

any tips to share on this?