Posts by slateboy

Hello,

I want to assign button 5 on the remote to turn on/off an external midi device. Is there a way to do this without it making a performance change?

Thanks

could you assign a duplicate performance in slot 5 so that Button 5 gives no audio change but sends out a midi program change. You could run your midi output through a midi converter to convert the midi command to another midi message or command. I do this using midi ox to convert prog change data to note-on data this way. Does mean employing a pc and a cheap windows xp laptop would be ideal.

I got very much into this band recently. They are AC/DC of today - pure, raw energy on stage. Very rhythmic, melodic hard rock, even similar head banging. Airbourne

Based on the Some of the above, these are worth checking out.
    Kind of modern ACDC with chris cornell style vocals:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Similar/related question regarding live use:

Would running into a live desk via the digital output require the desk to follow the kpa as the master-clock?
    Or would the desk happily run on its own internal clock if the kpa was running at the same sample rate?

In my limited experience of this kind of situation, when the receiving device is the master-clock, some clicks and pops occasionally arise, perhaps due to digital misreads.

My concern is that if the kpa is the master-clock and the cable gets pulled out or the kpa goes offline the mixing desk will halt due to losing its clock and have a far greater impact on the desk and loss of foh audio.

Take a moment to consider what the rest of your band are doing- do they emulate "those tracks" with sounds reminiscent to the original artist/song. Unlikely the drummer changes his/her sound per-track to replicate the original track (logistically a challenge in itself) so, It makes more "audio" sense to be employing sounds that compliment the instruments around you, akin to what @Raoul23 said about having 2/3 presets. Further to that, listen how the original artists sound when they play "live" compared to their recorded versions.
    If your sound sounds "good" (subjective in itself), you will enjoy the gig far more than if you are striving to reproduce the sound of the original artist at expense of your own personal satisfaction of the performance, especially if the rest of your band are thinking the same way.
    Theres certainly a few songs where id hope i didnt sound like the recorded guitar (see Great songs, great solos, awful sound)
    Imagine cooking a meal to satisfy the tastes of your guests- You can seek to please them, or yourself, or find that happy crossover in the middle that brings a smile to everyone.

If it sounds good it probably is good.

Would running into a live desk via the digital output require the desk to follow the kpa as the master-clock?
    Or would the desk happily run on its own internal clock if the kpa was running at the same sample rate?

In my limited experience of this kind of situation, when the receiving device is the master-clock, some clicks and pops occasionally arise, perhaps due to digital misreads.

My concern is that if the kpa is the master-clock and the cable gets pulled out or the kpa goes offline the mixing desk will halt due to losing its clock and have a far greater impact on the desk and loss of foh audio.

From the demos I've heard, to me it doesn't sound that much better than the mooer stuff to justify the price...

A bit of wise investment of time can get some great results with the AA, and as mentioned, secondhand reasonably priced AA3s are popping up now the AA6 has been released.
    Like some kemper demos, depending how its being demo'd can sell it or tar its reputation.
    I have virtually reproduced my fave kpa sounds on my AA. Deffo work checking out

I think a useful addition would be when pressing the input (and output) button it displays, perhaps as a title, the currently selected/stored input/output config (its "saved" name)
    If the user has changed settings from the stored values then a star or letter "E" notifies the user it has been edited. (a bit like other operating systems to let you know you have amended but not yet saved the settings)
    there is definitely room on the input and output page to display the currently loaded/selected input/output config.

You could argue that you can see the values and parameters of the input/output section (as is currently the only way to tell) but without having to examine the many variables it could be ascertained at a glance what input/output config is currently in use. Also it would be more user-friendly to see the "name" of the config rather than parameter values.

Looking for a light and portable solution, like a compact keyboard amp, ideally with 2or3 inputs(jack ideally but phono XLR acceptable)
    Portability the main factor (carrying handle/strap) so Weight and size to be considered but equally a flat sound for playing back music through as well as a kpa (or other amp modeller :S ) i'm aware the smaller the unit the more compromised the sound will be.
    50w max should be suffice for home use and throwing on the back seat of the car.
    Suggestions please. Thanks

Read this article the other day and thought it nice to share it:

The psychology of amp-tone
    Ever wondered why your rig sounded great in the past but now it lacks something? Nothing has changed- same guitar/amp/room/settings/etc so why is this ongoing quest for “that” sound akin to locating the Holy Grail…

Quick test- cover one eye for a minute and take a look around with your open eye. Nothing special there. Now switch to view with the eye that has been covered for a minute. Notice a slightly different appearance of shades and colours? Quickly, they return to equal perception. The human being is one of the most innovative creations known, goes without saying, and is very adaptable to diverse situations, hot/cold, wet/dry, stress/relax, bright/dark, loud/quiet, etc. This self-calibrating being that is us can survive in the harshest of conditions and has a natural ability to deal with a wide variety of situations owing to our inbuilt ability to adapt our senses. More correctly, our senses adapt automatically for us, often without us realising, just as our heart beats unconsciously.

On the subject of interpretation of aural-sensations, our hearing, let’s take a brief insight to our sense of sound, being mindful of how similarly our other senses connect us to the outside world, sight, sound, touch, smell and taste (sixth sense open to debate!) Forget room-acoustics, that’s another subject itself even though it is a major factor. As you wouldn’t want to consume your favourite food in a certain surrounding, even though the flavour remains the same, you probably wouldn’t enjoy hearing “your rig” in a less than ideal space.

Let us compare our perception of sound with another sense, “taste”, for example. (We’re referring to our mouth and flavour receptors here, not in a fashion-sense, which is subjective to the individual, even though the same can be applied to aural and visual stimulus, whether its clothing, music, art, attractiveness, etc, I digress…).
    Think “food”. Yummy! How many times have you enjoyed your favourite meal yet occasionally have not? Maybe you weren’t in the mood for it or had already eaten? Likewise, have multiple favourite meals but would never wish to have them on the same plate at the same time? Do you often fancy something particular to eat for no apparent reason, led by your taste buds or maybe you’ve seen/smelt/heard something that triggers this desire? The same goes for your other senses including your hearing.
    Seems obvious that your favourite food item may go well when accompanied by another complimentary food item but it may not go so well with others. This is why Amp-tone “X” sounds awesome with “song A” but not great with “song B”. Maybe another sound is great at home but lacking at the gig. With audio, whether its individual tones or a group of sounds, the brain decides what items compliment each other based on learning and instinct. What one individual perceives as nice another person may not agree though there often seems to be common agreement on what qualifies as appalling. This is true for your chosen “tone”, it may compliment some sounds but not others, depending what makes up the complete mix.

Now consider this- depending what you had to eat before (and sometimes after) your “favourite” food item can taint your perception of subsequent flavours. True again for sound- what you have been listening to, whether it was pleasing or unpleasant, will affect your perception of what follows. This could be as simple as switching from the clean channel to the overdrive channel on your amp. Our brain adapts to compensate for changes and self-fulfil its needs to deliver us a more balanced representation. We're not even talking about loudness and the fletcher-muson curves here! We have limited control over this. How about a room that has a certain smell yet after occupying that space for some time you don’t notice the character smell but for others entering the same room it is very noticeable. Same goes for your ears as they get accustomed and normalise themselves to a sound (your amp tone!) Changing environments or sounds (try a different amp setting?) refreshes your aural-palette and upon returning to the previous sound it can appear fresh again for a while. Although we may not enjoy it as so, we also adapt to “poor” situations. That horrible smell, or off-taste or not-so-great amp-sound doesn’t seem as bad after being subjected to it for a while, within reason.

Subjecting ourselves to a situation for any duration can easily lead us to become get tired of it and seek something different to maintain our interest. We get accustomed to the world- it’s a survival instinct. How many times have you adjusted your tone (or played with ingredient quantities when cooking) aiming to improve upon what you have only to wish you had left it as it was in the first place? Down the rabbit hole we fall...

Next time you are on the quest for the Holy Grail, seeking and tweaking for the “ultimate” tone, pause and consider, you may already have what you are looking for but your recent environmental or historical factors influence your judgement. As humans, some of us are more complacent than others but most of us naturally pursue new experiences to enthuse, improve and excite us so it's not surprise that this applies to “that” amp sound too. Your senses get accustomed to certain stimulus. Your ears do become “tired”.
    There is neither escape nor answer but we must be mindful of the human senses and understand how they auto-calibrate, as nature intended. Don't fight mother nature!

you need to wire this way:
    guitar-->gsp input
    gsp effects out-->Kemper in
    Kemper out-->gsp effects return
    gsp main out--> PA amp/cab/whatever

However, I'd suggest you might be better off putting the gsp in the kempers effects loop and using the Kemper as the "master" device

My GSP is redundant since owning the Kemper. Mights make a useful backup. Invest your time seeking the sounds/effects of the GSP in the Kemper. it'll do most stuff. Final solution- profile the GSP amps if you love them!

Hi all,

When using perform mode if I do any tweaks it seems to remember those changes when the unit is powered off....is there anyway to prevent this?

id say theres more benefits to retaining data than not. Power cut comes to mind.
    That's only my humble opinion i didn't realise this was how it worked anyhow.
    whats your justification for needing this?

Ok!

And again, I cannot reproduce any issues with locking the Stomps and Effects Section. That should work as well .. and include the Effect Button assignments. It does here using current OS.

Thanks for the feeback, @burkard I've done a little video to show the situation. Running the 5.4.1 latest/current firmware.
    (have removed "solved" from title on the assumption that something is not right here)