Posts by slateboy

totally agree. the gsp used to be my main unit ten years ago, especially when the ability to load your own cab IRs in with the beta 63 firmware became a feature. then along came the kemper which was a massive leap forward. i got the AF as a travel-light device when i have to fit everything in a rucksack, replacing a pod hd500x which never really done it or me (maybe if that accepted cab IRs it might have been kept) The AF was suggested to me (in this forum actually) and, again, its the cab IRs that make it work for me though. So i put the same cab IRs into the gsp and this has given it a fresh lease of life. the gsp has limited storage for IRs and trims the files to fit the units memory so there is some compromise and change of tone as a result but sufficient for a backup unit in my rack. trouble is when i needed a back up the other week following a kpa crash i forgot i had created the backup presets and forgot how to use the gsp! derr! :S

Following this video, i felt compelled to do my own comparison with a KPA, AF and my old GSP1101. I sold my red-kidney pod and HD500x ages ago but kept the GSP.
    playing was off the cuff but hopefully it gives a fairer shoot-out:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This doesn't make any sense.Anderton is not selling Pod, but is selling both Amplifire and Kemper.
    I think they didn't do this demo correctly (they should have go DI and not mic a FRFR cab), but it was not done on purpose.
    If this vid has any effect on sales it will be do decrease them.

Agree, its obvious that this is not a sales promotion. What i think they were aiming to do was get the best of the pod and the not-so-best of the others to level the playing field a bit. Like most agree, it certainly doesn't do the newer units much justice.
    Still, it's created a bit of a debate and that's generated them some attention ^^

Anyone here own an AmpliFire? I am curious what is going on, here.

seems to me they were aiming to show off the best of the pod against the poorer KPA and AF presets.
    Best to treat this a light entertainment with a hint of nostalga. Yes the pod was a ground-breaker back in the day.
    i've owned all 3 units and this is an unfair comparison with lame examples from the modern devices. Anyone with a bit of time can get far better results from the KPA & AF (i do!) So, we all know what the real verdict is...
    next week they will be comparing how a sony-walkman is comparable to an ipod :S
    i do miss the streams of cassette tape that used to be seen along the side of motorways X/

you see all of the outputs represented in a horizontal graph bar representation for each output. The ones linked to the volume knob move corresponding to volume raised/lowered. The others stay at a fixed level set elsewhere.I have no issue with the graph bar missing the db reading. As a matter of fact I would like an option to disable seeing the screen when I move the volume knob. I use my ears and don't look at the screen.

That's, true, the ears are the best guide but I do sometimes find there is a little lag/delay when moving the volume knob so occasionally it requires a different amount of rotation to achieve the desired volume change. This could take numerous turns to get the required level whereas a visual indication of db (as is current on 5.2) gives instant visual confirmation that the level has been altered a desired amount.
    Unlike an analogue amp where you get exactly what the knob points at instantly, (even up to 11 ;) )

However, there is no set amount of levels due to the factors such as how loud the rest of the band are, room acoustics, position of other audio gear,etc,etc, so it's impossible to say 'my level is alway xx' i've never understood musicians who fix parameters/knobs (traditional amps) with tape or markers no more than youd permanently set a thermostat in a room for one user all year round
    Sorry, I've gone off topic a bit..

the edit buffer is is always restored after a reboot. If the edit buffer was corrupted by an unexpected power down it will fail and display the error message that you saw. Clearing the buffer will fix this.

@hjscheffler, would you advise a re-install of the OS as a safe precaution in this situation?
    Obviously not something to do at a gig as it takes several minutes and i imagine a power-loss during OS installation presents greater problems.
    Im not sure how the OS memory is allocated or if it is written to during normal operation but guessing there's a separate memory area for edit buffers and user-files and rigs.

Half way through gig tonight we had power loss and then as the KPA was rebooting another power loss.
    Resulted in a long error message on the screen when trying to use performance mode after what appeared to be corrupt performance slots and an idle unit with the last sound played. Didn't read message as it was mid set but thought I caught something like contact support, I think. Wouldn't power down so forced reboot by power cycling and the same. Eventually discovered browse mode worked so limped through the first set with this. During break I restored from latest backup on USB stick and it appeared to solve the issue.
    Got a gig tomorrow and want to hear anyone's advice that may have experienced this themselves.
    Had power loss in the past but never followed by an interrupted boot cycle.

some of my favourite Mbritt @lonestargtr profiles in a little clip:

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet, but my Remote LEDs flicker every now and then on this firmware. I remember that happening in the past on an older firmware as well. It doesn't seem to affect the functionality at all though.

i noticed that too. very occasional- thought it was my eyes. as I've mentioned elsewhere, i believe cpu processing favours the audio with lower priority for visual elements.

however, i do get frustrated by having to make multiple attempts at tapping my tempo as the tap-tempo button often returns some random tempos