Posts by slateboy

I did mention "rig" on my understanding that is what a complete set-up is(stomps, amp/cab/profile) not sure how others define this or what a "preset" is classed as.

Some confusion and misunderstanding of mixed and multi-use terminology.
    Patches, presets, programs, rigs, profiles, slots, stomps, effects....
    Someone hand me the Kemper-dictionary... :S:D

I still meet people that refer to a PA as a "tannoy" system and a vacuum-cleaner as a "hoover". :pinch:

Anyone know what impedance the unbalanced-monitor output terminal is?
    I want to connect a 1:1 balancing transformer to combat some noise issues I'm having (yes i've tried the ground lift option)
    I've tested using a 600-600 ohm transformer and it does the trick but it would be better to match the impedance of the output, unless it turns out that is is around 600 ohms.
    There maybe some phase-shifting and altered frequency response as a result so any other suggestions are welcome.

thanks for that @paults i'm not 100% sure if it was one of yours or not. i seem to remember it being dirtier and growlier and without any pitch effects.
    Still, you've got some really cool rigs and thanks for sharing them. loving your "moog" stuff!

Can anyone help me please- i was flicking through the rig-exchange last week and found a sound that resembled a john-lord overdriven organ type-sound.
    I cant seem to find it, having spent quite a while ploughing through the RE.
    I recall it had a fast leslie as part of its sound and an unusual cab.
    someone will point me straight there. No idea of the date, what the name or author was.
    thank to anyone that helps.

Thanks for the info. Looks like some heavy going there!
    I've only fiddled a bit with C in an arduino environment (or is that C++?) and built a couple of midi controllers with it, sending control data and sysex.
    Not yet delved into receiving and processing sysex, which is a forthcoming project, so interesting to see how others are dong it.

in another moment of being a nerd, i've done another video to compare boot up times of the latest OS.
    v5.0.3 appears a touch quicker than v4.2.2, which was considerably faster than the early v4.0.6
    (v3 was faster than early v4 if i remember co)

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

i really should spend my time playing guitar rather than doing this sh!t...

for the other geeks, like me, heres the v4.0.6 / v4.2.2 comparison

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

So, how long does it take to upgrade the kpa OS firmware?
    here's a video i knocked up showing the firmware upgrade process and how long it takes.
    A bit of a geeky thing to do, i know, but it might be useful for the curious or anyone (newbies?) that have yet to do it so they know what to expect.

ironically, it took ten-times longer to create and upload the video than it did to do the actual os update!

I'll refrain from banging on about this for about the sixth time.

Suffice it to say that I keep suggesting a leeway / play / dead-zone area, selectable for heel or toe (or both), and specifiable in percentages, ideally in the 1->5% range, but I see no reason why the option of dialling in a greater region shouldn't be possible.

Old / corroded / worn-out pots often fail at or near fully-forward and backward positions. This option would solve such issues and save otherwise-necessary pedal upgrades.

Please, do keep banging on about it! ;)

Be interested to know how many KPA owners/users there are around the globe verses numbers on the forum.
    I don't imagine that everyone who owns a KPA partakes within the forums. (there's bound to be a few read-only forum members and several who just haven't joined up)
    Anyone hazard a guess? (only the mothership would have the actual figures)

Kemper do an awesome job (no one disputes that!) but, as @Peto has discovered, the plugging/unplugging of a pedal can register "new values" and invoke the auto-calibration that is implemented (an unwanted side-effect for a few of us it seems)
    As only a few users have highlighted their problems with their chosen devices in context @ckemper is correct, it does not warrant changing things for the sake of a few of us. I do wonder how many others have yet to encounter the problem perhaps by not noticing it (dont use an expression pedal), not letting it bother them or by avoiding it through using a midi-basd controller. (no news is good news)
    I dont use my expression pedal enough to justify the cost of a "mission" or other pedal and for that reason will live with the issues i have or create a work-around. This aside, i have had other problems in the past and support as recognised them and fixed them so i have no qualms with the KPA team.

Think it might be time to put this case to sleep as everything that has to be said has been said?
    but before we close the case, is there a list of "approved" expression pedals? (or even incompatible devices)
    time for a new list....?

i think the kemper team understand both sides of the argument and that not everyone will choose to buy the mision "approved" pedal(s) in the same way not everyone will use the dedicated kemper remote.
    i firmly believe they will consider to make allowances for all possible/future "realistic" scenarios (alternative devices?) and continue to develop a product that is flexible and beats the competition in every area, including what they're best at- listening to its customers. :thumbup:

I've calculated that my "dead" zone is about 8% at the toe-position.
    Whilst relaxed on the toe switch this equates to 92% of the full-range, going all the way to 100% when depressing that sprung-loaded switch. Heel goes all the way to 0% (the rubber bumper on the heel-stop is negligible)

I wonder what percentage margin there is on the old crybaby's, which were always "active" unless the toe-switch was triggered, thus completely bypassing the device. I appreciate this is not a fair comparison with the Kemper, which is a different arrangement completely, but if someone was to convert their old crybaby into a Kemper control pedal (as im sure some users have done) it would become relevant.

There are already dead zones automatically. Right now they are 5% of the current learned range at both ends.
    What's funny that such a pedal as shown in the opening post is actually a faulty design since it would also drive an analog effect the wrong way (it might be more forgiving, but still... )

valid points, I do agree, and this design has been around for decades. Some of the major benefits of digital systems verses analogue is there is greater control and forms of "error correction" whether that's to combat analogue noise or something like the situation we have here.