Posts by slateboy

I'm sure this must have been requested before but it would be great to have a list (updated by Kemper) of bugs (not new features or feature-requests) recognised and due to be fixed in the next firmware update.
    Quite a few of us help by reporting bugs that Kemper addresses but if Kemper listed their "to fix" jobs-list we could check ourselves before submitting bug-finds, therefore lessen the burdening on Kemper with repeat support requests for the same issues that they may already be dealing with. A quick reassurance to us users, ultimately saving the users and Kemper valuable time with unnecessary support emails.

Following up to the last post, i've done a bit of investigating and experimenting and it appears that the remote auto-calibrates an expression when you first plug it in based on the value (the full-scale range) of the potentiometer connected. The flaw in this is that some expression pedals may not sweep across their full-mechanical range of the pot and thus never reach min/max values. This is when the calibration procedure is required. The downside to this is that unless your pedal sweeps through 100% of the range of the potentiometer that is being used you have to calibrate every time that pedal is re-connected.

I may have missed something here, or may even have a bug, so anyone with a little electronics knowledge can verify my findings.
    thanks

Got an issue with calibrating an expression pedal.
    I calibrate as normal, ie push "calibrate" and then sweep pedal through its range. everything works fine and as expected until i unplug and re-plug in the expression pedeal and then i can only sweep through half the range. Meaning, i have to then recalibrate the pedal. Obviously this is not practical and shouldnt need to be done everytime.

has anyone else had this or perhaps get different reading following an unplug of their expression pedal?

It's possible to alternate a single expression pedal between wah and volume by enabling/disabling the wah effect on the kpa so you could assign the wah to one of the fx buttons on the remote. Or are you trying to do the "whole job" solely from the expression?

Does anyone know if there is any hysteresis involved with external (and midi) expression pedals.

Curious to know how much movement is required in order to trigger an effect, ie when setting "bypass to stop" for FX such as wahs this obviously engages the wah upon the pedal movement and then off when the pedal hasnt moved for a set time. But how much "movement" is needed in order to engage the effect? Guessing there is a greater resolution using the remote expression pedals over mid CCs that range from 0-127.

On the other end of the scale, what suggestions does anyone have for a "budget" expression pedal?
    A bit of a contradiction in essence as anyone who has bought the remote made a commitment to pay for quality but perhaps some users may only use an expression once or twice per gig and not justify an expensive add-on. Or got no money left after buying all the other stuff :love:

(im guessing some users have even recycled an old unwanted wah as a substitute?)

Thanks viabcroce and burkhard for the info, appreciated :thumbup:
    after a quick bit of research I did find some pedals that use the ring part of a TRS stereo jack as the variable (pot-wiper) whereas the more common type uses the TRS tip as the varying connection. I take it that these are the two "types" that are catered for.

i guess the calibration procedure would allow for pots that don't make a full-turn (270 degrees) like some wah pedals where the actuator doesn't sweep the pot through its whole mechanical-range

Type 1 and 2 are related to the polarity.
    In the Profiler both Volume and Wah Pedal are treated in a logarithmic fashion, regardless the curve implemented in hardware.
    HTH :)

With all due respect- how do you know that the "pedal-type" relates to polarity? (is it documented anywhere?)
    and, if the pedal "type" relates to polarity, how come my pedal-action isn't reversed when i switch between the two?
    Assuming we're both looking at pages 7-10 on within the system menu
    ta

Just to clarify, we are talking a tiny amount of power here, not 9-12V. It all depends if all pins are wired or just the 3 for midi data and then if any power passes through them.

There is enough current from the midi terminals to drive the bluetooth LE device. The device was designed to work like this with most midi ports.
    See this little video i knocked up controlling the Kemper from an ipad. I didn't have an ipad app at hand that sends program-change data (only CC data) but it will give you an idea of what is possible.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

What other device are you planning to use the Bluetooth midi dongle with?
    i ask because i've just bought a Yamaha MD-BT01 to control an ipad app from a midi device.
    its not what I expected in terms of operation and this wasn't explained clearly in any documentation i've seen. Seems it's not like connecting a regular Bluetooth device. Weirdly, you turn on Bluetooth and the device doesn't appear until the app "calls" for it. You don't have to associate it or permit it connection. As far as I can make out, not all apps are designed to work with Bluetooth LE. However my workaround was to fire up an app that does use/recognise the device (there's some free apps out there) and then go to the "other" iOS app which then "sees" the midi connection.

what device have you got your eye on?

It appeared to me that the two types range differently, i.e. Type1 appears linear and type 2 is logarithmic so I assume depending on whether you control volume or some other parameter would influence the choice. I didn't notice any reverse polarity between them, they both appeared the same.

i haven't seen it explained anywhere, but I am correct to calibrate the pedal that you hold down calibrate soft-button end sweep the pedal through its min-max range?

For many years i've always had simple setup- guitar into amp, maybe a touch of rev/del then out the other end, even owning multi-effects processors and the good-old 'marshall JMP1' i had prior to the KPA.
    For boost/solo stuff with the Kemper (the same as my old setup) it was a case of finding a similar or same profile/settings with more gain and knock the output level up a few dB.
    Seems to me that many players rely on a stomp and can be quite particular about their favourite overdrive pedals in front of their amp (KPA=pre-amp stomp slots) for that extra drive or maybe just to dirty up their tone. I've often found this to colour the sound going in to the amp in a non-favourable way, but thats just my "old school" approach.

So, i'd be interested to hear how everyone else uses their overdrive/distortion FX in stomps 1-4 (pre-amp) and their reasons and chosen FX/settings. I might be missing something good here having been a minimalist for well over 2 decades. perhaps someone will show me otherwise...? 8)

Has anyone attempted to make an "auto swell" using auto-touch and ducking parameters? ( i havent yet)
    Or are we just hanging on that v4 will deliver the goods? :wacko:

I think the most usable thing is a midi connection. For those, who are able to do some DIY-Stuff i have a nice project.
    There are existing several models of the arduiono chip. I'm trying actually the Arduino Nano (5 EUR). In addition with
    a breadboard, some cables, some switches and a midi-plug you can programm it via usb and tell the arduino what
    to do when you use a switch. And this todo can be one or more midi CP's or CC's. Even several CC's at once to
    control the looper. Also you can use pots for example to intergate a wah-pedal.

Be interested to see what you have as your Arduino midi controller. For a very cheap cost and a bit of know how, it could be useful as a simple midi controller for some other projects too. Let me know how you get on and what you manage to achieve. :thumbup: