Posts by mortl

Hi,

a year ago my church bought a Kemper :-)... so I just come with my guitar and my Foot-Controler and a USB-Stick, if i tuned something at my own Profiler at home.

I did a few profiles of my Jackson Ampworks Newcastle 18 (Search for NC18 on RE) and used them a little bit. But I found better Profiles (AC30s, the AC20, some of Michael Wagener for heavier stuff)
    Most of the time i use my own Profiles from my former Boogie Mark IV. (also on RE).

I use the app onsong on my iPad for leadsheets, which can send Midi commands with every Leadsheet. For every song it sets my Footcontroller to the Tempo, Amp and FX for the beginning of the song. The Footcontroller sets the Profiler..

I built my own Footcontroller, because i wanted to have the flexibility to change amps (rigs) without changing the fx... and change the fx without switching amps. And it accepts the midi-commands from the iPad :)

Martin

I once left the Bag for a week unopened after a gig.
    The Remote was upon the toaster in the Bag and the closed lid pressed the "tuner"-button all the time.
    After that, the button didn´t work anymore... after a few hours and pressing it very often, it worked again. Something got stuck inside the switch.

Since then i don´t dare to put the remote inside the bag and close the lid... as it presses tuner and looper buttons.

I know, these switches shouldn´t care...

Martin

yes, thats possible.

At the moment, If i want to save a change to a preset by replacing it, i first delete the preset and then save it again. Works when "autoload" is unchecked.
    Don´t do anything wrong between deleting and saving it :D

Martin

Ok,
    that is an answer (which i didn´t get 1 1/2 years ago) :) - and i have to live with it (no choice! :) )

But just because i want to know: in which situation do you need a type 2 message then?
    When sending it as "part of a full rig" (as you say) .. you don't need to send them, because the delay-parameters are loaded anyway with loading a full rig (when not locked).
    it would be easier to save the needed parameters with the rig as sending an extra message with the rig-change.

if they would be accepted even when locked, you could send it with a rig-change when you want to load a specific fx-preset... and you could not send them, when you don´t want to change the fx-preset when loading a rig. - thats my understanding.

Or is there some kind of internal type 2 message, when changing rigs? and the FX-Modules don´t make any difference if this messages comes from inside the KPA or from outside via midi?
    And locking is the only way to not send that message to a fx-slot when changing rig?
    If so, i would understand that behavior and consider it as a feature :)

Martin

With my possibilities all I can check is, that every Sysex and every NRPN (single and multiple) are transmitted correctly to a midi-monitor-tool on my mac. I also tried to send the type 2 message with all values (over 200 bytes) to the profiler to set the delay-parameters - i sent all the values which the profiler gives me when asking it with function code $42. clearly talking about the right start-sequence plus the values. it works perfectly as long as the delay isn´t locked.
    So i think i can assume, that my profiler sends the midi-bytes the right way.

31250 baud also is, what is set.

Martin

I was just about to start a thread in the Discussion-Forum, "Why I´m not using the Performance Mode" (Maby i will anyway).... It´s exactly that you can´t save a fine-tuning to all the slots, where this one amp is used.

For me, the lack of this feature disqualifies the perfomence mode at all!

It definitely has to be an option, not default, because in some slots I want to use the same amp with more gain or a slight different EQ...

Martin

When you have saved a FX-Preset and want to save it again (after some fine-tuning), you have both of them... old version and new version with the SAME name. If you don´t need the old one, you can delete it, but you never know, which of the both is the old one.

So it would be good to have the choice to "replace", "rename" "save as", when saving the Preset... just like when saving a Rig.

Martin

If you want to change something with MIDI, don't lock it. Since you are sending it anyway with all PCs, it doesn't really matter.

I don´t send it with all PCs.

All I want to achieve is:
    1. Having 4 Buttons on my Controller, which ONLY choose 4 Rigs, no change to the delay, not even the on/off state. (I send PCs to get this)
    2. Having 4 Buttons on my Controller, which ONLY change the delay-Settings to 4 different "Delay-Presets".

for 1 i have to lock the delay, don´t i? and now: how can i change the delay-settings when message type 2 is ignored (beause of the lock)?
    I now do it with MANY nrpn-Commands for each parameter. that works... and i found out, to delay the "midi-stream" by 10ms after each nrpn works without errors. Without that delay, there is some strange behaviour in the profiler - wrote that in another ticket.

if there were just two or three delay-types, i could put them in different slots and just switch them on and off - but i haven´t enough free slots... and with the new (GREAT!!) delays, I even think about having 5 or 6 delays to choose from.
    If the differences between the Delay-Presets would just be some parameters, i could think of morphing. But that would manage just 2 different settings.

A very cool thing would be to load saved delay-presets from the profiler ... maby by sending PCs on another Midi-channel - or with CCs - or a NRPN-message... but I think thats rather a big deal to implement (i.e. a second mapping-table would be necessary - gets complicated).

Martin

I use different Rigs in one Song. And I use the same Rigs in differtent Songs.. so I have to lock the tempo and cant save it with the rigs. But for every song I need to set the Songtempo in the Profiler.

The Performance-Mode doesn´t solve this for me - but thats another story...

I used to tap the tempo at every start of a song. But now I use an iPad for Leadsheets with the app "onsong". This app can send any Midi-Message and Midi-Clock (Songtempo is included in the leadsheet). So when i switch to the next leadsheet, my iPad sends a Midi-Message to my Footcontroller which switches the first Rig of the song and the stomps on or off and sends Midi-Clock.
    The Midi-Message from the iPad just controls the Footcontroller. The footcontroller itself sends the messages to change rigs and stomps.
    Midi-Clock is sent for about 2seconds. After that i could change tempo manually by tapping it. But as we play with a clicktrack, thats rarely necessary... sometimes when we leave the tempo on purpose, it´s usefull..

As getting to know the songs better, I don´t use the ipad for the leadsheets but just for switching rigs and tempo for the song.. :)

Its a DIY-Footcontroller based on Arduino.

But you could connect the iPad directly to the Kemper and send Midi-Messages and Midi-Clock. But the App sends Midi-Clock continiously... don´t know if this could be a problem..

Martin

Just for that part, that SysEx-Messages to change parameters are ignored, when the Parameter is locked: I reported that as a bug about 1 1/2 years ago... And i did it once more a few days ago.
    I noticed that for fx-parameters aswell as for setting tempo.

As workaround I sent 3 Messages: "Unlock Tempo", "Set Tempo", "Lock Tempo" - that worked out.

But I quickly went over to send Midi-Clock for setting Tempo.

Can´t say anything to your problem, wehen Tempo is NOT locked.

Martin

Yes, it works, tried it.
    CC35 for the "hold"-feature is a toggle-switch (different to the documentation)... any value sent changes the state of hold. If you have two delays in two different slots, both hold in both slots will be changed with cc35.
    with the nrpn commands you can trigger just the hold in one slot. Great!
    Allready implemented that in my footcontroller :thumbup:

Martin

it all works perfectly, if the Stomp is NOT locked!...
    If it´s locked, nothing changes with function code 01 or 02 ..
    with single nrpn-commands, it works (values change), regardless if locked or not, and i think that´s they way it should work.

I want to switch to another rig, without changing delay .. so i lock it. Now, if i want to change delay-settings, i should be able to do it with nrpn-commands AND sys-Exs... don´t i? Am i missing sth?

How about this?

After 1 1/2 years i tried it again (in FW5). Still the same. Function code 01 or 02 only work when the stomp (tried it with delay) is NOT locked.
    I still think that it should work even when it IS locked.

Martin

Are you using performance mode?

I discovered that when you change From a Rig in one performance to a Rig in another performance, the KPA has problems to handle following Midi-Messages... seems like it has too much to do to load the rest of the performance. When switching within one performance: no problem. In Browse-Mode: no problem.

I think the Rocktron All Access sends the program change followed by CCs (i.e. to turn on or off stomp boxes).

So in my scenario the kemper would handle the CCs wrong - sometimes.

I don´t use performance-mode, so i don´t care about this problem - i just discovered it.

Martin

My Profiler also froze in Performance mode - just like yours.. It occurred again and again - until i unplugged USB (Rig-Manager). Maby some issue with syncing changes to Rigmanager?