Posts by mortl

Hi,

did you notice, that this DI-Box (millennium DI-E) has differences in sound, when using "Speaker" or "Instrument" Mode?
    The manual says, that the Speaker-Mode is just a -40dB pad. No Speaker-Simulation!

I made a bunch of DI-Profiles with this Box in "Speaker"-Mode... all seems fine, but when playing these profiles over a Guitar-Cab, they don´t sound like when playing the original amp over the same cabinet. They sound more dull and weak than the original amp.

BUT: This DI-Box takes much level in "Instrument" mode. So I got very good results when using it in Instrument-Mode.. your amp can not turned up VERY loud and the input-Setting on the KPA has to be really low (I used around -20dB) - but it works, without distortion that comes from this box.

Martin

Hi,

another problem with profiling:
    I want to make a Direct-Profile of my Clean Boogie Mark IV. All the Drive-Channels/Dirty Direct-Profiles worked perfectly. Just the clean channel won´t work:

The clean profile ends up being VERY loud - so the Output-LED lights red all the time when playing this new profile - and the profile does´t sound like the amp at all. When comparing to the Amp (at the page, where you could refine profile), the reference amp sounds OK, but the profile is at least 5 times louder and sounding much more dull.

I tried it with a loud Amp and Low Input on the KPA - or with a low Amp and high input-setting at the KPA. erverytime the same problem.
    I tried the "clean" and the "distorted" buttons. when using "distorted" the KPA says "A clean amp was profiled successfully..." - but same problem with the profile
    I use the "No Cabinet"- mode.
    I use a Millennium DI-E as DI-Box. While profiling the second noise of the process seems very loud - but its clean, so maby that´s ok.

The Mark IV has a "Slave Out" - which is a Line-Level output that captures the sound of the whole amp including power amp (at least boogie writes this in its manual). Using this output gives the same strange behavior. So at some point the KPA doesn't set the level of the profile correctly.
    This clean-channel of the boogie has LOTS of headroom. You can´t get it to break up.... is this a problem for the kpa?

by the way: i couldn´t tell the difference between 2 direct profiles, one made with the di-box on speaker out and one made with the slave-out of the boogie. So it seems that this is perfect for making di-profiles :) .

Martin

Today I profiled my Amp again (direct) and tried to merge this di-profile with the old studio-profile and here we go: They sound almost the same! I don´t know what was wrong with that first di-profile... i must have messed up something, because it was not just a variation in sound, which a tube amp has, when it´s got a bad day :-)..

so thanks for your help..

Martin

Yes, I know.. i played my tube-amp over years in many live-settings. And many times it sounded different even when no settings were changed, but the differences aren´t that much as the difference between my studio-profile and the merged one.

I tried to create one more merged profile with a newer studio-profile (i think it was post firmware 3.0) and a direct profile. The result were way better.. here you could say, they sound similar... so maybe my old studio-profile doesn´t work that well. The problem is, that i can´t remember which mics with wich levels, wich positions i used for this profile i like so much - i tried many variations, but i didn´t manage to get exactly that sound again.. everything i manage to get is close, but not that good.

i use a Millennium DI-E

Martin

Hi,

I profiled my Amp with firmware 2.something - and I´m happy with the sound.
    Now i though to try out this merging-thing and i want to make a merged-profile out of my studio-profile.

So with firmware 3.something I profiled my Amp with same settings, same volume, same Cab like the 2.something-Studio-profile mentioned above, but with a DI-Box between Amp and Cab to get a DI-Profile of it. That worked fine (I know about levels after a power amp and di-boxes... i know what i´m doing) - so: i got a DI-Profile, sounding harsh as expected, the profiler did not add any cabinet (cabinet light off) - no problems so far.

Now i choose that di-profile, go to cabinet-editing, there i load my studio-profile (which loads the cabinet-part of it) and press "Merge..". I get a nice sound, sounds like an amp (not like a DI-Signal), but it sounds very different to the original studio-profile - sounds much brighter.

Should´t it sound at least almost like my studio-profile?

Martin

Hi,

thank you.

I send this midi message every 5s because the Behringer FCB1010 with the uno4kemper does it. It tells the kpa to be in the bidirectional mode, what means, the kpa keeps sending the tuner info. If you don´t send it, the kemper tells in about 8 seconds: midi-Controller disconnected and stops sending tuner-messages etc.

I´m just requesting the rig-tempo for displaying it on my controller... just request it, when pressing the tap-footswitch. So every time i change tempo by tapping, my controller updates this bpm-number on one of its displays. I don´t have any performance-problems. The Kemper keeps sending tuner-info, which are quite much messages - but no performance problems here.
    One special thing with my controller: Live, I use an app called "onsong" on my ipad. its for displaying leadsheets, can send midi-messages and midi-clock and is connected to a second midi-in in my controller. For every lead sheet you can set the tempo of the song. Now, when I change a lead sheet on my ipad, its sending a midi-command (sysex of my own syntax) to my controller to switch the rig and effects on and off (what i want for this song): And it tells my controller to pass the midi-clock from the ipad to the kpa for about 2 seconds. After the 2 seconds the controller requests the tempo to display it - and stops passing the midi-clock messages to the kpa.

No, no documentation ... just experimenting with a midi-sniffer on my macbook (shows the midi-commands) and this thread with the midi-editor.. don´t have the link right now. there you can get all the values for different needs..

martin

I got a PB 3.1.3 via Mail.. they said: Midi Switching issues should be removed.
    But: no other behavior than in 3.1.2... weird sounds when loading them via midi (ProgramChange). Correct sound, when loading them via the KPA Panel.

For me it seems like the KPA keeps some Profile-Information from the current Rig when switching to another. Here, when i have a clean rig, where the sound is pretty clear (some kind of "harsh", but in a good way for a clean sound) and switch to an overdriven Rig, its WAY too harsh.... Otherwise, when i play an overdriven Rig, and switch to the clean rig, its way too dull...

You don't notice it that much, that the sound from a rig is not correct, when switching between Rigs with a similar character.
    By switching i always mean switching via Midi ProgramChange.

I also wrote the above to the support. let´s see..

Martin

I discovered some more strange behaviour when switching rigs (see my erlier post).. now in performance mode also. A crunch rig changes its volume when switching to a clean rig and back to the crunch-rig again... it suddenly sounds a bit louder/more powerful than before... switching to another clean rig, and then to another crunch-rig: volume is down again..
    cannot clearly reproduce it, but its strange.
    (I´m Switching rigs with midi program-change commands)

martin

I think i discovered a bug in 3.1.

I mainly use 4 rigs... 1 completely clean (gain all the way down), 3 with different gain amounts.

When switching through my rigs on the kpa: perfect: I LOVE pure cabinet!...
    BUT: When switching with my midi-controller from a drive-rig to the clean-rig, it sounds awfully dull... all the drive-rigs sound right.
    If i load the clean rig on the kpa-panel: it sounds like it should .. sparkle is there! .. now: if i switch to any of my drive-rigs (from the clean) with my midi-controller: waaaayyy too harsh!!! like all treble and presence all turned up... if i keep on switching from my midi-controller: no way to get it sound right (just the clean-rig sounds right).
    I have to switch to a drive-rig on the kpa-pannel: now it seems like the KPA is in "drive-rig-mode"... all the drive-rigs sound good, the clean one way to dull...

feels like the KPA knows a "clean mode": all the clean-rigs sound right, the drive rigs way to harsh... and a "drive mode": all the drive-rigs sound good, the clean ones way to dull.... the KPA gets the change from a drive rig to a clean rig by switching on the panel. It doesn't get the change from drive to clean (or vice versa) when using a midi controller..

All of this happens in the browse mode.

In the performance-mode: no problem at all... but i don´t want to use the performance mode!
    Anyone can reproduce that behavior?

Martin

Thanks,

I don´t :) .. all my stomp-leds are off at first start... and every button sends the "on" command for the stomp-box at the very first time pressing it. if a stomp on the kpa is allready on, it doesn´t change, when switching it on on my controller. Untill now I had it once, that i thought the booster-stomp was off, but it was on. But you notice such things immediately .. thinking: too much gain, whats wrong? - and it´s always when switching on your whole gear - never when using it live.

but right now i´m thinking of getting my controller to ask every stomp-state when starting and accepting the returning message from the kpa to get the state and leds right. nice idea!
    maby i´m wrong, but i think the kpa sends a bunch of stomp-messages (state and type) when starting. So it wouldn´t matter which one starts first, the controller or the kpa.

mayby i should add, that I have locked all my stomps - so I don´t change the stomp-type of any stomp-slot at all. In other words: for example my foot-switch 1 switches stomp for stomp D, where a booster is. I labeled this switch "booster" on my controller, not "stomp D" cause for me it will ALLWAYS switch the booster.

Martin

Don´t know if i posted this anywhere:
    I use RGB-Leds this way: They show the effect-type by color, and the on/off state by brightness. For example: I use "blue" for my compressor effect. If its off, the led shows blue at low brightness.. if its on, it shows blue with high brightness.
    So i don´t need two leds per button. It works really nice..
    recently i played on a bright stage (open air, sun). There you could hardly see the "low LEDs"... but wasn´t that much of a problem..

martin