Posts by esotericmetal

Ughh... I'm just saying what i'd like to see, not what Kemper should do. That's allowed on a discussion board right?

I do also think you are right. Listen to Mr. Kemper himself on YT interviews. If you can read between the lines you will asure yourself, that he was sololey interested to solve the digi-tube-sim problem. He was even complaining about customers saying the Kemper can sound better than the real thing. :D His mission was to make it sound the same, *not* better! This is engineers- or problem-solvers-talk, not so much salesman bulls**t. He has to pay his staff, though. And yes, its not charity.

This is pretty much what I meant. I suppose you could say Mr. Kemper is just faking it to help with PR but that would just be your opinion. I personally don't get that impression...

Couldn't disagree more. All companies are driven by profit. Kemper offers the FW updates and upgrades because customer satisfaction is very much a part of building a brand and business.
    The smaller rack unit makes no more sense since most people have gone away from racks. And footswitches are both very desired, easily portable, and most definitely not solely for live use. There are plenty of people who use them to record direct, especially since you can plug these devices into a computer and use an editor.

Consider that a rack unit and a remote is what you already have. You could also have the option of a footswitch with perhaps a built in expression pedal that would include all the capabilities of a rack unit and a remote (and more) for less than the combined cost of a rack and remote (and likely less than the combined cost of a smaller rack unit and remote).

I said that Kemper doesn't seem to be driven solely by profit, not that it wasn't a factor at all. And last I checked there is plenty of rack gear being made and used these days. Maybe the slant is more towards studio use but it seems like most used digital guitar amps live these days are the AxeFX and KPA, both of which are rack units. The all-in-one floor units seem to be more popular amongst the hobbyist//prosumer/bedroom producer, all of which may not be willing to spend as much as what the KPA or AxeFX cost. To each his own though.

Business ain't everything. Kemper doesn't strike me as the kind of company that is solely driven by profit. From what I understand the current Kemper's are expensive units because of the R&D and all the great free updates, customer service etc. and not because cost of the actual hardware components. Those other costs are things that only Kemper knows, so anyone else can only speculate on what makes sense for them business wise. My opinion is solely based on a user's perspective.

The way I see it is that something like a small rack unit + remote combo could satisfy both live players and studios/home setups where profiling is not required or even possible. An all-in-one floorboard unit would only really make sense for live players, and even then it's sort of a PITA when you're tweaking stuff, which all of these digital amp boxes require quite bit of.

I would love to see a cheaper/smaller rack version that omits profiling functionality. The problem now is that I have to do any profiling I want to do at my studio (for obvious reasons), but I mostly use my Kemper at home (though it is very useful to have at the studio for certain sessions). I've considered buying a second one but it's too expensive of a purchase to justify having two, especially considering it's been out for a while now and it seems likely some new version of some kind will come out in the near future.

Having a slimmed down rack version that you can use the current remote with makes a lot more sense than having an all-in-one floor version as well.

Hi,
    I'm wondering if there are some good and thorough profiling guides out there that I should check out (besides the manual of course). I'm especially interested in ones that cover making direct profiles.

I'll be taking my Kemper down to my studio in a few days to do a big profiling session. I haven't done any profiling since the direct profiles feature was added and I also recently got a DI box that is capable of handling handling speaker signals. I'm planning on doing a whole bunch of direct profiles as well as ones with different cabinet and mic combinations. I'd like to be as meticulous and thorough as possible. Any resources/advice/tips/tricks would be much appreciated!

One other question: I know v4.0 is right around the corner. How likely is it that when I update to 4.0 the profiles I made with 3.2.1 will not sound the same?

Is this your first Kemper you've had that had issues? If so, than I don't see how you can jump to the conclusion that the Kemper is not a reliable unit as a whole. For all you know you were just unlucky to have gotten a bad unit. No piece of equipment out there is immune from the occasional defective unit. If you've had multiple units that all had issues that would be a different story...

FWIW, my Kemper also suddenly stopped working a while back. I got in touch with Kemper and they got it fixed in a reasonable amount of time (I believe it was 2-3 weeks) and paid to have it shipped both ways. Haven't had any issues since.

Correct me if i'm wrong: The Kemper uses a Motorola DSP chip. The Strymon's (and AXE FX) use SHARC DSP chips. From what i've been told the SHARC's are dramatically more powerful chips (but are potentially harder to code on).

I personally don't see Strymon level of effects happening on the Kemper. I'm sure the updated effects (if the rumors are correct) will sound great, but asides from not having as much horsepower, the Strymon folks have been focused solely on developing effects for quite some time now, whereas the the Kemper team probably does not have the luxury of dedicating as much time on just effects as Strymon does.

Anyone having this issue with the 1/2 speed button on the looper where it keep switching itself to 'momentary' mode? You're supposed to hold down the button for a couple seconds to toggle between momentary mode but I find that it switches itself to that mode even with regular button presses sometimes. This usually happens after I press the reverse button and then the 1/2 speed button in quick succession. Also, how come the secondary light on the half speed button doesn't light up when enabling momentary mode, just like the second light on the reverse button lights up when you've enabled the 'back & forth' mode.

I'm the guy with the "3 remotes" lol. Technically I have 2 defective ones right now sitting at home and a replacement new kemper. I will be getting a 3rd replacement remote supposedly. I feel like an ass getting all these replacements and people who have been waiting months haven't even got theirs yet. I waited till April 6th for mine

Dude, don't feel bad. No sane person would hold that against you. I only bring it up to point out the inconsistent service people seem to be getting compared to others. And most companies usually ask you to ship the defective unit back before shipping a replacement. When my KPA broke it took them like a week just to acknowledge that I needed to send it in (I had told them I had tried swapping cables and whatnot in the initial ticket but their first response was to ask me if it was plugged in properly... And it always took at least a couple days to get any response). I would have loved to have gotten the same treatment as you and have them just ship me another KPA so I wasn't out of commission for the 3 weeks it took to get it fixed. My unit was pretty new when it broke and they were not in the middle of a new product rollout or trade show so not sure what gives.

My remote was due to be shipped on April 13th but I still haven't gotten it. It seems other people with higher order numbers than mine (3447609) have gotten theirs and there's even that thread with the person that ended up with 3 remotes as his kept malfunctioning. I'm not sure what is going on here but there clearly are some problems. And that's fine, but it would be nice to have some explanation of what's going on and why they went through this whole convoluted process instead of selling them through dealers like they do with the actually profilers. Right now I don't have a great impression of this company even though they seem to mean well. I'm open to being persuaded otherwise.

My only other experience with Kemper support was when my Kemper suddenly turned itself off and wouldn't turn back on again. It took almost a week to get them to acknowledge that it wasn't user error and I managed to send it to them and get it back in about 3 weeks, which isn't the worst. However, I was not notified when they sent it back. It just showed up at my door. Fortunately someone happened to be home at the time. Not doing something as simple as providing a tracking number is really poor form. Especially for a an item with this pricetag. I hope this time I actually get notified.

Dec 30th 2014 - Registered for Earlybird
    Jan 15th 2015 - Order shows up in Kemper store
    Feb 20th 2015 - Notified my order is due to be shipped April 13th (week 16)
    April 20th 2015 - Received invoice to pay for remote. Paid through paypal, but never got confirmation from Kemper payment was received and order status remained unchanged in the store. Sent email to Kemper support asking for an update.
    April 23rd 2015 - Response from Kemper support notifies me my payment was received and the order status is changed to 'Ready for Delivery'. I'm told I will be notified when the remote ships.
    April 24th 2015 - Order status is still 'Ready for Delivery'