Posts by Michael_dk

Is the profile a very distorted one? In that case there will not be much in the way of peaks and valleys :)

I wonder also if you've accidentally zoomed in on the waveforms as described in this video:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Very true. Our auditory perception of any sound is strongly influenced by the part of the sound that arrives first to our ears which will be the pick attack - which is particularly prominent at modest SPL. Enclosed headphones help (to some degree at least) screen out the pick sound which gives the sound a bright attack before the processed sound from the monitors or even the sound from of an amp some meters away arrives at the ear.

Huh - I never thought about the immediacy of the pick attack being a factor in this instance, I mostly thought about it in terms of attack and frequency, but it makes a lot of sense. Especially considering the Hass effect.

I use the KRK V6 as monitors, while recording and playback

It can be problematic - for some - to monitor on speakers while recording. Or rather, the direct sound of the pick hitting the strings can skew the perception of the tone, making the recorded tone seem more dull/lifeless. That's why I asked.

But you say you've tried using headphones as well.

first of all thanks for all the answers :)

Michael_dk I used the monitor function included in cubase. I switched later between the monitor function in cubase and the direct monitiring from the focusrite.

Bakersounds I tried that in the very beginning but honestly I couldn´t mke it happen. Maybe I have to dig a little deeper in how that works... Dou you have any helpful links to threads or videos for that?

BayouTexan I´ll try that, the gain on fhe focusrite was off to very low and the gain at the profil was like 5-7/10. I´ll try changing that too.

DonPetersen so you think it´s something different than the conversion? I´m sorry for asking, english is not my mother language :D

Bu are you monitoring on headphones, or on speakers? When recording, or when playing back?

Thanks for all the help guys. I've re-done my rigs to have all distortion and clean sense set to zero, and then just rebalanced the gains and volumes as needed. Took a little work, but at least now everything is set up right. I created the 2 input presets that I needed and everything now works as I'd hoped. It was worth it in the end.

Great to hear!! :)

Right. That's why I'm saying, I get how it works. My question now is, for the DS values, if I increase them to bring them back to zero, I'm assuming I'll then need to go into my gain for that rig and turn it down a bit to get the overall sound/gain back to where it was before I turned up the DS levels, correct? Similarly, with the clean sense changes, if I turn those up or down, then I'll need to adjust the rig volume in the other direction to get everything back to the same overall volume as before, correct?

More or less correct.

I think for clean sens, the answer depends on the rigs in question, since it functions differently (and has a different purpose).

I'd go through the rigs and see the DS value most commonly used (maybe within some suitably small interval, it might not mean a lot in the grand scheme of things), and use that as the overall value for whatever guitar you normally use (lock and save the input section). Then adjust the DS value and gain of the other rigs accordingly. Less work that way.

Then you may still need to look at the CS parameter. use your ears.

By the way, while the DS is an offset to the gain value, they don't use the same scale. So +3 on DS is not the same as +3 on the gain knob, so use your ears here also.

Correct. What I'm saying is, it just sets them all TO the same value, rather than increasing them equally by the same amount.

For example, let's say I have distortion sense on one rig set to -5.0 and another rig set to -1.0. If I turn the distortion sense from -5.0 up by an amount of 2, now that rig is set to -3.0. What I'd want is for the other rig that is currently at -1.0, to then be turned up by the same amount (2), resulting in it going from -1.0 to +1.0. But instead of turning each rig up by the same amount, all distortion sense does is turn them TO the same amount. So in this case, the rig that was at -1.0 isn't turned up by 2. It'd actually be turned DOWN by 1 so that it's at the same -3.0 level as the other rig.

Think of the Dist sense not in terms of individual rigs, but as a "preset for certain guitar".

Don't change it for the individual rigs. Instead, lock the input section, and save the input section with its dist sense as e.g. "Stratocater". Forget the individual rigs.

The Distortion sense can be thought of an offset to the gain value of all rigs in the Kemper (only the ones that are actually distorting, not the clean ones - if I recall correctly). So you won't see a change in the gain value of individual rigs. Simple and easy.

If you're checking the gain levels of the rigs, you're looking in the wrong place.

NOTE: I dont play loud. That extra high freq may be a good thing at volume. I will have to do some profiles some day. I have heard people say a TubeScreamer and the DSL are all you need for metal. Maybe they are playing really loud.

Yeah, that's something I've heard as well - that there is some bad high frequency stuff going on until the amp is turned up loud.

Thanks, I was curious, since I have a DSL 20 HR (I think) - that came out some years back, that is supposedly better than the earlier versions. I never turn it on though (in fairness, my Kemper doesn't get turned on a lot either; life with small kids and an old house :-))

Hmmm. I have a DSL40C and I am not a fan of it. I put in a good Eminence and it got better, but it has this ridiculous high frequency that I cant get rid of. Its built into the power amp section or something, using effects loop makes no difference. It is always there. I always run it with treb and pres full off and its still too much.

The irony is I cant even hear highs anymore and its still too much for me :pinch:

The good part is the DSL is so bad, it prompted me to get my Kemper.

Is this the new or the old DSL40? (sorry, can't remember when the new ones were release, so I'm not very specific here)

I dunno...

I must admit I opened up the manual to slam the OP with "look at page xx, it's right there". But I decided against that, because I definitely agree with the manual not being very accessible on this point.

Yes, you can dig out the information, but not very well described in my opinion, and definitely not well structured. Sorry to say. It's almost 400 pages, it would make sense (for me at least) to have a more structured overall explanation. I understand the frustration.

As I remember it, it was much more accessible when I got my profiler back in the day (OS version 3.x, can't remember when that was).

My two cents.

You can see which Tone stack has been used but that doesn’t necessarily mean a true liquid profile has been created. You can retrofit any tone stack to any existing profile but that isn’t the same as making a liquid profile where the volume and tone knobs are matched to the amp being profiled.

Ah, in that sense. I get it.