Posts by Michael_dk

To the OP: what is the problem? Can you record? can you hear through the monitors while playing? NEITHER?

Also, if you are able, a screenshot of the mixcontrol panel would be a help.

I have a focusrite interface as well - the mixcontrol is pretty cool, but takes some thinking and trial and error to wrap one's head around sometimes :)

No matter the way it is currently working, I completely echo Michael's vision here. This is exactly the way I'd love it to work!

And, BTW, tags working like a database query system would of course be much more powerful than folders: the latter would force the user to some redundancies (imagine the crunch, dark, fender, gibson situation: you'd need to copy a rig in both a fender and gibson folder, otherwhise it would not appear when you just look for a fender (or gibson) rig).

I really hope the Kemper team has gone this route, the search engine will be extremely simple and powerful this way! Owning thousands of rigs is quite the norm, and it would be a breeze to manage them this way :)

Exactly like the database - thanks for explaining better than I did :)

You could even have the Kemper recognize tags of the loaded profiles and have a search function where you tick off all the options you want shown (either "or" or "and"), and save that as a view in the browser. Maybe save up to five views this way.

now I'm dreaming....

Hmmm... This is not ideal in my opinion.

Say I want to show all the "dark" and "cranked" profiles. It seems to me from experimenting that I can't just write "dark cranked" in the search field, since it only shows results from that exact text string. If one is in one tag, and the other word in another tag, no result. If the e.g. comments field contains this exact text string it will show; but not if the words are the other way around, or there is another word in there etc... Not too hot an option in my opinion :)

Come on guys, this feature is unnecessary. Make your changes to a rig, choose "Store as", change rig name and you're done.

Of course it WOULD be - if the changes had been done by ME.

Somebody profiles an amp - cranks the gain up on the KPA a bit higher and stores. Uploads that rig to the rig exchange.
    How do I "undo" that gain tweaking, if I wanted to hear the original amp's original setting?

Just started to organise my rigs in folders in rig manager (GREAT its here for mac!! :-)).

Folder "favourites 2014-07-xx" created, copied all favourites from the KPA to here. Made a handful of folders like "hi gain", "fuzzed", and "mid-gain". Now, "mid-gain" contains around 80 rigs, and these have quite a number of different sounds between them. So I wanted to make "mid-gain, dark", "mid-gain, bright" etc. within that folder.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to. Apparently, the folder structure can only go, what, three levels deep?

I would like to have more levels, to keep everything easily manageable - or easy to get an overview of, more precisely.

Even better would be the ability to LABEL each profile with multiple labels (like tags for a blog post - just don't want to confuse it with the "PROFILE tags"). That way, a rig could be labeled with e.g. "dark", "mid-gain", "Les Paul" and "Fender" (if it was suitable to both those guitars). And then a search option, where I could tick off any labels I want shown. Maybe create custom views that would then work like the current folders.

I wonder if I make sense to anybody but myself :)

Hmmm...don't know about changing the pickups. Got EMG 707's in my guitar and I'm quite satisfied with them :) Can't imagine it will make that big of a difference.

I don't think you'd need new pickups either. Make what you've got work for you. After all, djent seems (to me) PRETTY processed, I don't know how much subtle differences between pickups would translate.

Start by going where the gold is (i.e., the amp (profile (tweaking))).

Hi guys

My first profile - and first time mic'ing up a cab, really.

The Hughes&Kettner Tubemeister 18, through the matching cabinet (a 1x12). Clean channel, with a self-built OCD pedal in front.

For those interested:
    Miced with a Shure SM7b, through a Golden Age Pre73 MKII (Neve 1073 clone). Around edge of dustcap, up on the speaker grill, 45deg angle (ca.)

Tell me what you think! If it doesn't suck I'll put it up on the rig exchange.

First one is slightly dull and only light crunch, second one is a little bit brighter and a little more gain. I like the second one the best.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…014-07-27%2017-11-21.kipr

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.…014-07-27%2017-20-48.kipr

This is very thoroughly described in the manual. Might take a bit of deliberate reading, thinking and trying. It's well worth the effort. Look at the reference manual rather than the quick start guide.

I'm a bit confused about the "not owning any cabs" comment :) Are you asking about what kind of profiles to look for, or are you looking for e.g. mics to mic up a real amp, or possibly profile one??

Anyway, with regards to EQing to get a smoother sound. slap on the "studio EQ" after the stack section of the profiler, and then take one of the bands in there, boost it a bunch, and sweep through the whole frequency spectrum slowly, while playing. Make note of the frequencies at which the part of the tone you DON'T like is boosted. Then go back and pull one or two of the worst ones out. More often than not here, less is more. Sometimes -3db does it, and sometimes a bit more is needed.

Don't pull EVERYTHING out - using this technique, it's easy to trick oneself into believeing there are a lot of bad frequencies, and often this is not the case. When boosting ANY frequency range a lot, it tends to sound bad. That's why I say you gotta sweep the WHOLE range before you do any cuts, and just choose the worst ones. And pull them down slightly. Also, the best way to do it is if you can kind of hear BEFOREHAND what you don't like - sort of "i don't like that whistling/fizz/fuzz/hum/whatever - and then go find the offending frequencies. I.e. having a goal in mind.

Does this help?

Also, EQ BEFORE the stack shapes your distortion. If you boost the bass a lot, then that is what drives the amp to distortion, etc. So a different way of doing it, with a different result. Sometimes you can get a great effect by boosting a frequency range before the amp, and then pulling it out again a bit after the amp - or vice versa.

Often, especially after the stack, cutting rather than boosting works best. As in, don't boost what you like, pull out what you DON'T like instead. Just a rule of thumb, which sometimes has to be broken.

Maybe questions like this should be accompanied by info such as annual income, house owner or not, marital status, tax deducability, etc... Don't take advice from the internet at face value! :)

Unless you're loaded I'd get a regular amp. You can always bring the kemper to live shows of either band if you want (I guess it's for rehearsals with band 2 you need the other one - to avoid lugging the KPA back and forth?)

Could you please open a support ticket, explain how you changed the Instrument to "Bass" (via Profiler User Interface or Rig Manager), and attach a complete backup.

No, wait!!! This was a case of "Fault 40" (i.e., the fault was found 40 cm from the screen.... Operator error).

Stupid me had forgotten to save the tags rather than just entering them.... I don't see an embarrased smiley, so here's the closest thing (if you ignore the hearts): :love: