Posts by Michael_dk

But unclear now what the gain knob is doing in a regular profile vs in a LP. It seems to me in a LP the gain is modeling what the gain in the profiled amp would do (ie, in HW’s vid he explains that for a fender dlx reverb you’d never get a above about 5.5 on the gain because that’s all the amp has). So what are we hearing in a standard profile deluxe when you crank the gain the 8?

My guess: this would be the same thing as we get today if we profile the reference amp at its max gain and then turn the gain on the kemper profile up from there.

I think you make some very good points, Armin.

I definitely like the liquid profiles capability, and will likely prefer this. Haven't tested it yet. But there is the potential downside that suddenly it will depend on MY ability to dial in great tones, and not leveraging the abilities of the profile creators (there are obviously upsides as well). On the flip side, I've often run into the "this profile ALSO sounds good", leading to a lot of profiles on the kemper, more than realistically needed. I think liquid profiles will shift my mentality in a good way towards using the onboard controls more instead.

To the extent that profile creators use different mics, cabs and placements tailored to the different sweet spots of the amp - that is also something we lose.

There's no "profiling with the liquid method". It's done after the profiling process. You just need to know the original reference amp settings used for profiling.

Will updating to beta effects my current saved performances? I want to try it out but don’t want to mess up my live performances for upcoming shows

If you have upcoming shows - wait a while maybe :)

Even if it shouldn't affect your performances, there are no guarantees; especially for a beta version.

Provided that everything works "flawlessly", it would seem like you'd only need the one, barring the cabs and mics and mic placement etc.

As Wheresthedug points out, different amps may sound different. I imagine that - realistically - this is sometimes very true, and a lot of the times the differences are minimal. This is pure guesswork on my part.

Another reason for having different profiles could be if they are profiled with different pedals, especially those not already in the profiler as effects. Outboard gear such as preamps may also play a part.

I think that's all I can think of :)

As I said - provided everything around liquid profiles works as intended, it would severely limit the need for multiple profiles of the amps where the tone stack has been modeled by kemper.

Michael_dk regarding latency

there´s a detailed examination about this here:

Yup - I'm the second poster in that thread :)

Yeah. My suggestion is to accomplish that part in the analog domain. Having the Kemper analog outputs connected to the RME.

That was my first thought - but wouldn't that introduce latency in the sense that what is being monitored is slightly delayed compared to what is being recorded? Since the recorded signal wouldn't go through the DA conversion.

Maybe worth a shot to see how it works out in practice.

In the world of digital "amps" there is a difference between modelling and profiling/Cloning.

That's just semantics.

But my point was mainly that when Christoph talks about "modeled tone stacks", my strong guess is that they have taken a more economical approach than modeling each component of each tone stack. My money would be that they have done something similar to what they've done with the kemper drive; built a model that can cover a lot of ground and then based the specific tone stacks models on that.

I don't get where all these ideas about what liquid profiles are about comes from (not just in this thread).

I'm guessing not all people have seen the interview with Christof.

By the way, when something is called "a model of" doesn't say anything about HOW it is modeled (e.g. all component modeled or not). It is simply something that represents a thing without it being the thing itself (and I can't even remember if this should go in this thread or one of the other recent ones - sorry).