Posts by andyg_prs

Edit: had to turn to tuner....currently restoring from backup...

Found this on an old post. I held soft button one (left above display) turned to Perform....kept holding...it booted but no reset options...

You can reset to factory state by pushing soft button 1 (top left above display) before turning it on, keep it pushed and turn the KPA on. During the start still keep the button pushed.

You now enter System/Booting Maintenance. There you can Init the Flash either with factory content or completely empty.

Hi,

There are various audio and other issues my Kemper seems to have developed.

I've backed it up.

What's the best procedure to completely wipe the thing, yet to get as close to what I had originally once I restore?

I tried restoring previous backup files, and I'm not convinced it was completely refreshed.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

I've had this before and it resolved itself by itself. All my rigs (mainly the higher gain ones) sound like there is a cocked wah going on. There isn't, nothing has changed, but it sounds terrible. I had this in the past and then one day I turned the Kemper on and it sounded its old self again.

I have a back up, so I can try restoring that I guess - although potentially I might have to do a more fundamental restore to factory settings if that's possible. Of course, I'm not sure how much I would lose that way?

I can't tell you if it's always been this way, but I've noticed that on my higher gain rigs the output LED is amber towards red. Not just for public profiles, but also, for example for my M Britt "Crank and Go" profiles.

Could that cause the issue? What settings do I change to fix this?

Thanks,

Andy

*Moved to correct forum*

Hi,

In Rig Manager I've selected a performance. I have my 5 slots.

Imagine I want to swap slots 1 and 2. Slot 1 is high gain, Slot 2 is clean. If I right click on slot 2 and select move up.....nothing happens in Rig Manager, on my Kemper or on my remote. If I right click on slot 1 and select move down....nothing happens again.

If I copy slot 2 and copy it to slot 1, nothing happens in Rig Manager but on the Kemper and my remote, slot 1 has the name that was on slot 2. However slot 1 is still high gain and not the clean sound from slot 2.

If I stomp between slots 1 and 2, slot 1 goes back to its original name.

Sometimes when I click move up on a rig, in Rig Manager it has rotated all of the rigs up one.....but on the Kemper and the Remote nothing has changed.

In fact that is the current status.....Rig Manager doesn't match the actual peformance.

This can't be the expected behaviour?

**update**

I'd actually copied an existing performance to a new position to work. I changed the name of the copied performance.

To add insult to injury, Rig Manager has now swapped around the two performances (the original was performance 16, the new is performance 25) but made some of the changes from what was the new performance to the old.

I clearly cannot trust this software in any shape or form.

I'd simply restore to my previous backup, but my Kemper won't do that at the moment - I opened a ticket for that yesterday :(

Thanks,

Andy

I'd actually copied an existing performance to a new position to work. I changed the name of the copied performance.

To add insult to injury, Rig Manager has now swapped around the two performances (the original was performance 16, the new is performance 25) but made some of the changes from what was the new performance to the old.

I clearly cannot trust this software in any shape or form.

I'd simply restore to my previous backup, but my Kemper won't do that at the moment - I opened a ticket for that today :(

Hi,

In Rig Manager I've selected a performance. I have my 5 slots.

Imagine I want to swap slots 1 and 2. Slot 1 is high gain, Slot 2 is clean. If I right click on slot 2 and select move up.....nothing happens in Rig Manager, on my Kemper or on my remote. If I right click on slot 1 and select move down....nothing happens again.

If I copy slot 2 and copy it to slot 1, nothing happens in Rig Manager but on the Kemper and my remote, slot 1 has the name that was on slot 2. However slot 1 is still high gain and not the clean sound from slot 2.

If I stomp between slots 1 and 2, slot 1 goes back to its original name.

Sometimes when I click move up on a rig, in Rig Manager it has rotated all of the rigs up one.....but on the Kemper and the Remote nothing has changed.

In fact that is the current status.....Rig Manager doesn't match the actual peformance.

This can't be the expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Andy

I currently have 956 rigs! The Kemper still boots in just over a minute!

To date (the last 6 years) I've only used the USB back up function.

I'd like to delete all my rigs and start again. I'd also like to delete all bet about 10 performances.

If I delete all my rigs - will it delete those of the same name from the 10 performances I keep. I think not as they become a different copy, but wanted to check.

I think then that I would use the System > Factory Presets to pull in the latest ones for my OS (does that bring in the latest effects too?)

After that, I can upload any of my purchased rigs/performances from Rig Manager - for example I'm about to buy the Crank and Go M Britt pack...

Thanks,

Andy

Warning - this is a long post about profile recommendations - please only comment if you are being constructive:

I'm looking to clear off my countless profiles and unused performances from my Kemper.

I'm just looking for a handful of "core" sounds.

I hear lots of talk about different cabs/impulses - if completely honest, I just want something that works with the minimum of tweaking. That's why I got a Kemper and not an AxeFx. I want tones that will break through in a band mix and not be unnecessarily over the top- but do the job. The breaking through thing often means less gain I know....but for certain techniques and song styles.....the heaviness is required.....try playing Cowboys from Hell with the wrong sound!

Live I'll be going straight to FoH and in rehearsal I tend to go into a Yamaha DXR10. (at another band they use an X32 with Yamaha PA)

For auditioning profiles before that (let's be honest, there's very little time in rehearsal and almost none at sound check to change tones) I'm set up at home with JBL LSR305 monitors.

I'm looking for a couple of great cleans:

• A Fender Twin ish, funky/reggae tone
    • A Warm clean - jazzy or the clean on something like Radiohead* Creep intro
    • A great classic crunch - not too fizzy - a la AC/DC*. I'd want to vary the gain to go from stuff like Green Day*, Black Crowes* covers to higher gain stuff like Extreme*, Gun* (Word Up).

{if I can put a green scream in front of the clean tone or up the gain, or reduce the gain on the crunch tone for that "just breaking up tone" all the better}

• A high gain tone for modern riffing and leads (Megadeth*, Metallica*, VH* covers).....I've used SinMix stuff for recording (great) but a bit too bright for live use. I tend to morph with a bit more volume and mids, touch of delay for leads.

*I know all these bands use different amps....I'm not trying to clone their sounds....just having the right ballpark tone to play their stuff...plus I play a lot of originals but my song names won't mean anything to you [Blocked Image: https://static.xx.fbcdn.net/images/emoji.php/v9/ta5/1.5/16/1f642.png]:) )

I know there is lots of stuff you can tweak on rigs, particularly definition but my experience is that if you tweak too much with profiles they lose their mojo.

For the high gain stuff I've been trying some of the Lasse Lambert free profiles in the house - for example LL-ChugChug (EVH 5150 III) which I'm enjoying and I also have LL - German Grease (Diezel Hagen) and LL - Hard Hitter (Kranker Kranker Stone) on the same performance to try playing around with. I've yet to try them live/ in a band rehearsal stituation though.

I have no problem paying for stuff and have done in the past....I do get fatigued going through hundreds of versions of things though.

I'd hope to set up 2 or 3 performances (more if I have to) that go from the clean to the high gain and audtion those at rehearsals.

I'm not snobbish if there's free stuff or rigs that I haven't loaded up from OS upgrades. I'm currently on 6.0.0.14574 and I haven't used the Import All Factor Presets for ages as I have over 700 in there already!

Anyhow, I know everyone has a different sound in their heads and these questions have been asked a thousand times....but in the ideal world there will be 1 to 3 profile packs that will cover these needs....and I'm happy to pay.

Cheers,

Andy

Andy, where are you located?

Hi, firstly sorry for the late response, for some reason I can’t get notifications to work for me. I’m based in Stroud in the uk. I have JBL LSR305s in my studio also but find those a bit harsh for high gain Kemper sounds...hence when recording I monitor through the DXR10...the JBLs would be a bit big for the single bedroom I’d use in the house - it serves as my office in the week and my son’s bedroom alternating weekends. The Genelec 8010 or 8020s look great and small...pricey though even secondhand.

A pro guitarist friend of mine recommends Fostex PM03s for mixing...and thought they might work for the Kemper.

You never know till you try though.

Cheers

Andy

Hi,

I happily use my Kemper in the rehearsal room through a DXR10.

’m thinking of using it indoors for practice but it’s a v small room.

What are the smallest recommended studio monitors that will do the Kemper justice?

Both clean and high gain sounds....not loud most of the time.

Happy with second hand and not looking to spend too much.

Thanks,

Andy

Hi,

I've just back up my Rig Manager and transferred to a new machine. Started up RM, it's syncing and has been stuck on Syncing Performances for ages....on 33 of 34.

Any ideas?

My plan was to get everything sync'd and then start cleaning up / organising as I have way too much stuff on my Kemper itself that I don't use.

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

I'm just about to record some solos for a prog rock / metal album - looking for your favourite lead tones. I have commercial and free rigs...but the auditioning process!

Off the top of my head I have commercial packs from And44, Guido, Deadlight Studio, Top Jimi, MBritt….but my organisation isn't the best so some of those my be free and I may have other commercial ones that I think are free!! Pity there's no way to filter free from commercial on rig manager.

So far the SinMix MRP 5150 from the metal pack is pretty good.

Looking for fat, singing tones....attached is an example of what I think is a good lead tone from a guitarist friend of mine...

Thanks,
    Andy

1) Have you tried Locking the Effects Off?

2) I think you’ll have to tweak the Rig Volume.

Edit: Waraba said it better :)

I have to admit, not being the most proficient with the Kemper and already having certain stomps etc locked....I worry slightly about changing that and putting things back correctly....silly I'm sure.

Hi,

I use an AFD100 profile for my heavy band....sometimes with a green scream boost. Through my DXR10 in rehearsal it sounds amazing...heavy, percussive, rich, punchy.....same straight to the PA live.

Recording, it sound puny! I can get the right amount of heavy for example using the SinMix Savage profiles from the free metal pack....

But I do lose some of the dynamics from my live playing. I know volume etc plays with the human ear....but still a bit confused.

By the way....I'm confident I am recording properly....Scarlett 2i2......not too much input, not too little and all that stuff....as I say...the SinMix stuff is fine...

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

Trying to "audition" a bunch of rigs for recording.....did RM ever get developed or did anyone ever find a way to do things like:

1: Keep the effects section turned off when arrowing down from rig to rig?
    2: Help balance the volumes for "like for like" comparison?

Thanks,
    Andy