Posts by andyg_prs

Hi Andy,

yes. That's how it works. Check out if it works well for you.

But now I have them all assigned to my slots (across 4 performances) I could unlock them and they would have all the characteristics as I set them, they would just not stay on when I switch slots - as my slots will have been saved with all the stomps off?

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

I have all of my slots in each performance arranged from clean to high gain, slots 1 - 4 and then 5 for playing solos.

Slots 1 - 4 have no effects on as part of the stored settings.

My stomp effects are locked so that they are global to all performances. Seemed easier that way.

If I choose say slot 1, hit stomp B and then change to any other slot, stomp B stays on. Same for other effects.

Is this the way that it should work?

Thanks,
    Andy

Put a Pure Boost in the X slot.

Interesting, you mic'd your cabinet...so you didn't use 'Main Out's' to the PA?

Put a Pure Boost in the X slot.

Interesting, you mic'd your cabinet...so you didn't use 'Main Out's' to the PA?

No. My brief experiments so far I didn't like the sound. At some point in the future, when I have a wireless guitar set up, and I have the luxury of time preparing for a gig with a known decent soundman and PA, I might try again. But for the moment I trust my ears for the sound from my cab and tell them to mic that....

Cheers,
    Andy

Yes, locking an fx implies stays in the state you locked it :)

Slots: A-D are pre-amp, the others are post-amp.

:)

Hmm, I wish I didn't have to work now - this is from memory.....but I locked it in the off state.....so there are no slots pre-selected for anything but my slot 5 which is my lead patch with delay.

So, I go to slot 1, I then later turn on stomp A, I go to slot 2 and stomp A stays on. Same if I go back and forth between slots 1, 2, 3, and 4. Stomp A is programmed as off for slots 1, 2, 3, 4.

Is that expected behaviour?

Thanks,
    Andy

Ah, is it because the stomp effects are locked that they stay on between slots even when each slot is programmed with the effects stomp off? I set up locked just to avoid having to configure the same effects multiple times but looks like it changes how they behave?

If you want, you can set up to 6 Pure Boosters (Stomp slots A-D, X- and Mod-Slot). Please note that a booster set up in the stomp slots is pre-amp and provides not so much more volume, but also gain. For "real" different volumes it's better to set the Pure Booster post-amp. You can also set up a flat EQ with increased volume for a volume boost.

Not in front of the KPA right now. How do you set a pure booster or flat eq with increase volume post amp as opposed to pre-amp?

Thanks,
    Andy

^ this.

Also, the stomps should not stay on when you switch rigs in a performance via the footswitch. Last i checked (two days ago) they didn't.
    When you switch rigs in a performance the performance resets to how it was saved - make sure you didn't save it with stomps on.

I'm sure I didn't but now I'm doubting myself so I'll check again....

Thanks,
    Andy

So, first gig yesterday with the KPA powerhead - I used it with my Framus 2 x 12 (which I had them mic) and an FCB/Uno4Kemper. It behaved great. I used the global eq as adding a little bass and cutting a little treble suited the venue. Soundcheck was interesting....we had to do it without our keyboard player as the guy's partner had a fall in the venue (no lights on and a big step) so had to rush her to A&E! I am also accruing soundman classics. Me "can I have a little more guitar in my monitor, I can't hear myself", soundman "just turn yourself up a bit".....riiiight so you don't know / care about front of house vs stage mix?........!!!

Anyhow, I've only heard a tiny mobile phone recorded clip of a duo with the singer with me using an acoustic guitar profile, but it sounds great.

I had given myself maximum range on the guitar pedal so I could leave it half way, and therefore have the ability to both decrease and increase my volume on the fly. I found the change in volume a bit too unpredictable though....to be fair, in exactly the same way I have found with my old amp and a Morley power volume - I find messing too much with volume etc while I'm playing can easily distract me to the point of hitting bum notes - not good. So what I think I'll do next time is just set a stomp (top row of FCB) as a pure boost. Out of interest, can you have more than one pure boost programmed for a rig? And can you use them incrementally? So one would give me a small lift in volume, and if I wanted more, I could engage the other one as well?

Also, I currently have a green scream stomp set up for a just a little gain and treble boost. When you change slots within a performance, it stays on. I completely understand why, but in the way I set my slots, I'd rather it turned off when changing slots. Is there any way to control that behaviour?

At the moment I have 4 performances programmed. Although I go from clean to increasing drive on the first 4 slots of all performances and have the last for lead, I did have a few moments where I had to study the KPA display to remember which slot I wanted for which song section. I'm not sure if I'll just rely on becoming more familiar with slots vs song/section of whether I should be less particular and try and have a more standard 5 slot selection that I use for the majority of the set. What do you guys do?

Last thing, the tuner, particularly with the FCB display the Uno4Kemper gives, is just brilliant. So much more easy to use and stable than the Korg Pitchblack that I had been using.

Cheers,
    Andy

It would be nice to change the title of this thread,

The hard working guys from Kemper need to be praised for the work - and not this.

Yes, the booting time is slow - and the KPA can be improved - but "shame on you" is not what these guys deserve ?(

Seconded. Also the boot time means nothing to me, I just turn it on before I take the FCB1010 out of its case and plug it together etc, the KPA is ready before everything is else is laid out.

I'm more concerned about if I need a mini UPS in the scenario that a power blip knocks the KPA off during a gig. What do you gigging guys do about that potential occurence?

Cheers,
    Andy

1. The closest you're going to get is the Free Delay. 550ms, either 3:1 or 1:3 (I can never remember which way to read them on the Kemper), feedback set to taste.

2. Delay Mix is only controllable with a MIDI device. The stock FCB, or one with the plain Uno chip, can do this, but with U4K it's not possible. You'd need to buy these, at minimum, to pull it off and still use your FCB:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com…tions-2-input-midi-merger
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com…idi-data-pedal-controller

3. I really like using Treble Boost, with the tone set around -3 and the volume either flat or boosted just a hair. The boost to your guitar's high frequencies tends to bring out a little more bite in the amp's distortion. Alternatively, try Green Scream with the drive set around 2, tone at -2.5 (I think that's the "neutral" setting) and volume flat - this is more-or-less the classic "tighten up a Mesa" setting for a ton of metal guitarists.

Great info. I'll try this out just as soon as I can get away from work. Thank you :)

Just to confirm - the main out, with cab sims on, into the PA, should be FRFR?

I'm confused.

If you use your Monitor out without cab sims into a power amp and guitar speaker.....or if you have the powerhead use the speaker out....then that should be like your old tube amp sound?

If you use your main out to the PA, and have the cab sims on......why can't that sound be very similar to the sound of a real tube amp that is mic'd up through the PA?

Thanks,
    Andy

With the risk to the KPA both in terms of corruption if the power supply fails, or just the time it takes to re-start if you were playing a gig, do you guys use a UPS?

Would a momentary power failure make the KPA re-start?

If so, what is the smallest / cheapest / best one to use?

Do you get ones with particular features like surge protection or power smoothing or anything?

First gig with my KPA on Saturday.....

Cheers,
    Andy

Three questions if you don't mind :)

1. Delay - I have a simple delay on my Line 6 DL4 pedal and very similar on my Digitech X Delay....about 550 millisecond digital delay and about 4 repeats.....3 strong, 1 soft, and 1 almost inaudible....

I don't seem to be able to replicate that on the KPA - I turn off the modulation and play with the mix and the feedback but the delays are not as defined or perhaps a little "soft distorted".....and the feedback doesn't seem to let me control the number of repeats like I can with the other pedals.

Any idea where I'm going wrong?

2. I haven't got a spare expression pedal, but with the FCB with Uno4Kemper chip in, I can still go to the Rig (I think from memory) menu and select either of the two pedals there and select Delay Mix as an option.

I was told that if I was using the Uno4Kemper chip I couldn't control the delay mix. But could I do that using a separate expression pedal? Or can you not use additional expression pedals with the Uno4Kemper FCB plugged in?

3. Distortion. I'm trying to find a stomp that will just subtly let me have a bit more drive / break through. So with clean sounds it would just be a small bit of boost and dirt.....with driven sounds just a bit more driven and the same with lead sounds. I tried a couple of drives but they seemed either to be over the top or would work on clean and low gain sounds but have no impact on high gain and lead sounds. I'm looking for something that will add an edge universally.....any ideas there?

Thanks,
    Andy

Your layout looks fine.
    Please note that you can name both performances as well as slots to know what's 'inside'... ;)
    Also do you know that you can make the tuner appear when volume pedal is heel down zero?
    This way you have an additional switch...

Thanks, yes, I've named the slots and performances but it would be useful when moving between performances to be able to see those slot names which currently I can't.....just the new performance name until I select the slot from the FCB.

Is there a way to preserve my Phaser and Flanger settings as I need to move them to different slots....? They are currently on A and B respectively.

Cheers,
    Andy

PS - as I don't want the volume to go to zero I think I have to use a footswitch to select it....

That's brilliant, thanks.

With what you've said I'm thinking something like.

FCB - Kemper Function

none - Stomp A - Wah
    6 - Stomp B - Boost or Compressor or Drive
    7 - Stomp C - Phaser
    8 - Stomp X - Flanger / Chorus
    9 - Delay
    10 - Tuner

Does that make sense?

I currently have my solo rig on slot 5 of my current 4 performances already :) I go from left to right clean to distortion on my slots for the first 4.

Is it just that you can't change delay settings with a footswitch or an expression pedal, or that you can't plug extra expression pedals in when you are using the Uno4Kemper chip?

Finally, when you hit up, down it only shows the name of the performance on the KPA, is there any way to make it show the slots too, just so you can double check which slot to select?

Thanks,
    Andy

Is it the time to start / re-start why people recommend using a UPS? What model do you guys recommend? I'd only need it for the briefest of power outages which is the worst that you'd expect at a gig....

Cheers,
    Andy