Posts by andyg_prs

Hi,

I saw posts about a Thomann bag for the Toaster. Is there a recommendation for a padded bag that will accommodate both the Toaster and the Remote at a reasonable price?

Thanks
    Andy

Hi,

I I've been recording in Reaper using a raw guitar feed onto one track and a "Kemperised" feed into another.

The chain was Guitar > Kemper > Focusrite 2i4 > iMac.

I was silent recording in the house using some cheap £35 Roland headphones into the headphone jack of the 2i4 and it worked and sounded great.

I have a garage 2.5 x 5.6 with a 2.5 metre high ceiling that is converted into a rehearsal room with soundblok plasterboard, walls full of insulation, foam on the wall etc etc. Works well. I was "encouraged" by my wife to record out there so set up a desk and after some research got a pair of JBL LSR305 monitors with stands.

Playing back previous recordings it sounded great, really great. My chain was the same but I took the balanced monitor outs to the JBLs.

I then tried playing my Kemper through it....the sound lacked a lot of bass...which didn't surprise me....so I adjusted the monitor out EQ on the Kemper to have max bass and cut some treble....not bad...not great but not bad.

I compared it to my Yamaha DXR10 which I play the Kemper through and that was loads better....but of course it's massively more powerful with a 10" vs 5" speaker.

I then noticed that the high gain guitar rigs were causing all kinds of raspy noises through the JBLs at any significant kind of volume. I don't really hear it unless I try when recording or playing along with a mix...but it's annoying as I didn't have that through my cheapo headphones.

Playing without any backing the raspy noise is horrible. Now theoretically I guess it doesn't matter as I can monitor my guitar through the DXR10 (the Kemper has multiple outs that can be set with different EQs so I use the main out with a flat EQ to the DXR10 and a monitor out with bass boosted, treble cut, to the 2i4 and then the JBLs.

However, I do wonder if this is normal behaviour? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Andy

Right having done some more experimentation:

• The speakers are plenty loud enough it was just ear fatigue.
    • I do find that the guitar lacks bass through them, the impact of the LF/HF switches is almost indiscernible to my ears, but the best I can do is use the monitor out and boost the bass all the way and cut some highs on the monitor out eq.
    • The speakers don't like my Kemper high gain rigs (even with pure cab at 10) at any real volume - nasty raspy vibrations.....playing along to a mix of one of my songs I don't really hear it.... I do find it strange though as I "silent recorded" my Kemper guitars so far.....£35 Roland headphones into the Headphone out of the 2i4....and never had any issue with raspy vibrations or other artefacts.

I think I need to accept these speakers will be fine for the purpose intended.....to mix my and my band's music (separate projects).......I can have just enough signal from the Kemper (monitor out) in the mix whilst recording to check it's ok.....but monitor myself as loudly as I like using the main out to my DXR10.

Does that make sense?

Cheers,
    Andy

So I got my JBL LSR305s and was "encouraged" to set them up in my studio (garage conversion) rather than the house.

Maybe 5.5 x 2.5 metres, maybe 2.5 m ceiling height.

They sound great for my Reaper mixes but they aren't that loud....e.g. Speakers on max, 2i4 monitor level near max and master level in Reaper near max.

Loud but not thumping.

Next is the Kemper. Guitar > Kemper>2i4>JBLs via mono guitar leads.

Sounds ok but not a patch on my DXR10.....that said we are comparing 5 inch JBL speakers with the DXR 10 inch.

As both are in the studio I guess it doesn't matter that I need to take a feed to the DXR10....but with my uncertainty about the power of the JBLs anyway I'm wondering if I upgrade to something else while I still have the option.

Opinions would be gratefully received.

Cheers
    Andy

Ps - I should have started a new thread...might move this later when on my pc...depending on response :)

Having done extensive testing via an A/B switcher for easy comparison, the issue is pickup type/output more than eq.

My band has a lot of high gain riffs with pinched harmonics/squeals.

My PRS with HFS / VB pups and my self build superstrat with Dimarzio ToneZone / Evolution do the squeal thing fine.

The Suhr sounds great but doesn't do it. Eq and even adding gain doesn't really get there. Distortion sense does....but as discussed, it's a faff to change live.

I snagged some USA PRS HFS / VB pups on eBay this week...so the current plan is to pop those in the Suhr and see how the effect.

In the ideal world I'll get the increased output but still keep the Strat-ty sweetness of the Suhr...

Cheers
    Andy

Hmm, I went to Output, browse and could see 9 presets, first one being Home Studio the second Default....I assume that because Home Studio was highlighted and I've never been in there before, those are standard output presets for the Kemper?

It cause me concern as I'm not clear how I would study the changes that each preset makes.

Also, I assume that I would need to go to the Kemper to select a different preset when I change guitar? That really wouldn't work for me live....

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi,

I have an unpowered Toaster with a remote.

I have a Suhr that sounds lovely but is lower output and thinner sounding compared to my PRS. I have considered changing pickups in the Suhr, but don't want to rush into that.

What would you say is the best approach to swapping between these guitars live for equitable volume/eq.

Options that occur to me are:

1. Duplicate performances with tweaked bass/mid/treble settings - but a bit of a pain as my rigs have eq changes built into their morph parameters.
    2. Clean / Distortion sense - but despite reading lots about this, I'm not entirely clear on it and not comfortable that a. I need to do it and b. if I'll end up with differences in volumes between rigs in my performances.....and changing the settings on the fly isn't the easiest thing as far as I can see.
    3. Try to insert an EQ stomp to boost the bass/mids a little that I select when using the Suhr.

Do any of these or any other approaches make sense to you?

Thanks,
    Andy

Def the way to do it in my experience. Aren't the 305s such a great little speaker?

Very pleased to hear this.....I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of 305s. What cable do you use to connect from the Scarlett to the JBLs? Also for recording, do you use SPDIF? Currently I have a loan of a 2i4 and just use a mono cable from the Direct Out for my "pure" signal and Left Main out for my "Kemperised" signal when recording....

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi,

I've just updated the OS but actually this question is about something I've always seen.

If I hit Master and go to my volumes, my Headphone Vol is currently showing as -27.1 dB, if I turn the control the display changes to "Headphone Vol. -27.1dB (-67.9dB).

What does the -67.9dB represent?

Is this a bug where the value in commas should represent the starting value?

Thanks,
    Andy

I'm still thinking through the set up...currently only have access to a 2i4 and I'll admit still getting my head around how to set this up with Reaper and my Kemper and studio monitors....

To date I'd been silent recording with the Kemper direct out to one 2i4 inputs and the main out to the other (to get a clean and a "Kemperised" signal to record) and with my headphones into the socket on the front of the 2i4.

I have had latency issues trying to monitor via the Mac.....but it all gets a bit confusing for my little brain!

Ultimately though I'd like to have everything set up such that if I want to just play through the Kemper, or I have an idea I want to record, I can do so with minimal effort....that's the goal.

If anyone has any advice on the chain to set up such an arrangement, that's be great....no doubt I am doing plenty of things wrong.

Cheers,
    Andy

I've pretty much decided on JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors for using my Kemper (unpowered Toaster) in the house (I also have a single sized garage converted into a studio where I might use them) and for home recording purposes.

I already have a DXR10 in the studio.

I can get a pair with stands for £224 delivered which feels like a good deal and manageable financially.

The specs say they support TRS and XLR inputs. Something in the back of my head is telling me about posts where the sound quality of the DXR10 was better with guitar jacks (TS) rather than XLR. That's what I use with my DXR10 although in my one outing live I used a single XLR from my main out to front of house and used their monitoring wedges back at me. Sounded great.

Anyhow, finally the question, what type of cables would you recommend from the Kemper to my Studio Monitors?

Thanks,
    Andy

PS - if you must, persuade me what Studio Monitors I should buy other than the JBLs :)