Posts by Awesome_Elvis

I ran into the same problem. I have a bam200 and a trace Elliot elf. Both very similar but the elf doesn't do this and neither does my carvin mach 100.

After much debating I decided to chalk it up to the Mosfet preamp compressing early on even though the signal is not clipping on the input indicator.

My only work around is to keep the gain very low and crank the master volume to desired level. This may not give you the volume and headroom you want but it's worth a try.

I now use it as a small living room amp that I run my zoom g6 through and use either the elf or the mach 100.

FWIW, I ended up gearing for profiles in the 4 to 4.5 range of gain and then boosting with a stomp and increasing the the gain to around 6 plus other shaping methods for tight high gain while also being able to morph to a still full sounding mostly clean tone un-boosted with a lower gain setting. This was brought upon by never liking reducing high gain profiles for clean tones and increasing clean profiles for tight high gain with the application of either going through a traditional cab or kemper cabs. All in all it was just to see if I could pull this maneuver to my liking. For my band I just use profiles as they are mostly.

That would be “gain” and “amp volume” 😉

Input gain would surely become obsolete once the signal is in the digital domain.

Lol you right. So i guess maybe we're asking for one more. Like the transpose on the input, this would be just a pure boost in the Amp. Heck it would be nice to be able to move the front input gate to the very front or rear of the the Amp block too.

Edit: Being able to change the gate type on the front too.

yeah that looks like the Amp presets to me, which are different profiles if I'm not mistaken. Not really sure about their origin but they are for quick sounds much like the stomp and effects button presets. Not sure about the cab ones and no clue why there's no way to go back to the original one either.

Not sure if this will help but when I was doing some studio profiles, sometimes I would adjust the eq on the Amp to compensate. For example, sometimes it would come out too dark so I increased the treble and presence on the Amp higher than what I would actually use on my Amp to get the profile to come out the way I wanted it too. Same thing with bass. Sometimes if I needed to, I would turn down the gain or volume but usually I would have a hard time getting it to come out more airy sounding. All if not most DI profiles I've bought or downloaded have been the best experiences playing through a real cab.

My only problem sometimes is that when I merge a cab to a DI profile, two things happen usually there's a slight change in the real cab like a very small mid range napkin in front of the cab inside the sound and 2nd, post effects have a different routing function that changes to an ice pick type sound. An example of the latter would be any delays, pitches, would have this high end spikey whistle sound.

Getting back to the actual distortion idea, what about a distortion pedal/"preamp style" that encapsulates and heavy feature set with clipping options, voice options, and tight, gate, boost options?

I know there is many types as discussed before so a generic one to rule them all isn't really viable but make a choice like the speaker imprints and have a wide variety of base types with all the other typical features to follow it?

Drive, bass, middle, treble,

Volume, clipping/voice type, gate, tight

Boost, mix, and I dunno, crossover? Compression?

I've been racking my brain on this, maybe someone can help figure it out but basically there's no way to run an effects loop of any kind on the toaster and do stereo out through the monitor out and direct out since the direct out is the only way to use a loop.

So say for instance, I want to use an effects loop for an external stereo effects unit and run speaker imprints in stereo.

it would be nice to see but I've always heard the old, "why wouldn't you just use a profile for distortion?" Or, "the rat and ocd cover that already."

I stand by the notion that a distortion pedal into a clean or mostly clean amp/profile is a different vibe of its own. I will forever die on that hill and re-watch Tosin Abasi's rig rundowns where he switched from the Axeii to a Friedman be-od into a Morgan amp.