Posts by Awesome_Elvis

After another round of jamming the current big 3 (in headphones), I have come to this temporary conclusion. ;)

Quad cortex is the most instant gratification soundwise. Easiest to get a great detailed sound and has an electric hairyness that's very pleasing to the ears but it's a bit like eating lots of candy and leaves you with a feeling like maybe I shouldn't do this for too long but you do it anyways. Very thick scholastic, and splayed sound.

FM9 hands down the best sounding effects (for the most part). Hope the cortex can catch up and bigger hopes Kemper will come through eventually as well. I love the kemper and cortex effects but FM9 just slays there. Amp tones are great and all with a vibe of their own but I did spend the most time tweaking here. I can navigate just fine and know a few tricks to get where I want but it is a lot of back and forth, up and down side to side. Amp switching with foot buttons need work arounds to close that gap in audio when doing certain amp switching maneuvers.

Kemper all in all still holds its weight in tone and feel with further extensions of extra sonic capabilites. I added more gain to a Mbritt dumble profile and then boosted the front end and used a different cab. Absolutely slapped. I'm gonna dream about a new Kemper that has Fractal level effects and routing. I suppose I could just use the fm9 in 4 cable mode but sure would be nice to have this all in one. There are for sure some very unique kemper effects and sounds, it's just a damn shame there isn't more room for them. At this point I would even buy a Kemper Effects Only unit if they had one and use it for guitar, synths and vocals. One could only imagine a unit as flexible and powerful as the other units but loaded to the teeth with current and, new and improved Kemper effects. Your(and my) 2 cents may vary. :saint:

I could see a model that just has more effects slots and more morphing snapshots per preset or something like that. Maybe an option for built in stereo power Amp ( in a floor unit this would slay, IMO.)

Maybe more eq in more places with different options for type (input eq , pre and post Amp at the same time, more cabinet eq, post cab etc.) That is to say if can't or won't add anymore.

I mean, if they're not gonna do anything with the profiling portion and they're not gonna make a stomp size Kemper then all I can see that's left is more like a Kemper Deluxe Supreme rather than an actual Kemper 2. Same basic idea and layout but with more effects and a few extras here and there. It really wouldn't kill them to make the next Gen with enough profiling and processing power to profile pedals, pedal combinations, pre and power Amp as separate profiles etc.

Having the ability to modify every step of your signal chain at gain staging increments is a nice feature and would add another layer of sonic exploration. I suppose we can do this now in some ways but then it doesn't leave much room for other effects.

I've bought pro profiles, made my own, and download hundreds of free ones. I can rarely recall a single one I didn't adjust or add anything to it to make it "better". First thing I ever profiled was a dual Amp setup with a 50 percent double cab Sim from my pod hd500 and it sounded better on its own but after adjusting every possible parameter in the kemper I got a tone that felt and sounded 10 times what I had started with. So to me, in no way could it sound better from the source for sure if the accuracy is 90 to 99 percent give or take, but if altered additions are factored in then where taking it to 105 to 115 percent better overall. If they're not gonna make it smaller than they should make it bigger. Basically pointing to just more effects from their perspective it looks like. They have no interest it seems in dual Amp, dual cab, multiple mic inputs etc. And if their feeling is you need to bring your own extra effects they might not even do that. I hope they do tho. WE, wanna see a Kemper 2, whatever that's going to be, even if they don't really want to this or that.

I've often thought it would be nice to introduce some extra parameters into the Amp section. I mean really, we're guitar players, give us an extra knob that does anything we didn't have before that does something ranging from subtle to extreme and we'll make use of it and then swear by it after we implement it in any fashion. They can keep the current profile algorithm environment or whatever they call it and just add something that adds extra control to changes in the sound in a unique or interesting way and see us go crazy with it.

I recently borrowed the fractal saying, "tickle the red" it's been really great using humbuckers with a lowered dist sense on high gain profiles. I used to always boost it 2 or3 dB, then I stayed at zero for a long time and now using the lowered value for high gain and lower for clean sense too on clean profiles. If I need anything there's plenty of other places further down the chain to get more volume, bass, mid and presence boost etc.

Huh, you also mean it? How could this be an advantage?

:/

It's a joke I did not get, right?

Kinda serious kinda joking. I get the idea that it's only useful for some and spending the time to code it might be time consuming when other things would be higher on the to-do list of upgrades, granted there's even enough DSP to do it.

My thought is, if there's a noise gate option every step of the way for every block there's no need to use a dedicated noise gate block thus saving a block. This also not having anything to do with the built in front noise gate. But, being able to choose the type of gate for the front would be nice too. I'm also an advocate for being able to chose the location of the front gate but again that's really only for a few of us. Chairs!

I, like many others, find many profiles dark and bass heavy with plenty of mids to spare. Especially with high gain profiles we're always boosted the front end trying to tighten it up and increasing treble and presence to get a more articulate sound like the amps being profiled sound like in a room mic'd or not.

So I thought we'll first of all I need to lock a cabinet and use DI profiles for consistency.

Second, I thought what if I used the main output eq for headphones listening and auditioning and leave the monitor output eq alone knowing it's either gonna go through a real cab or a kabinet.

Next I did what I usually do with any high gain profiles using only the output eq, cut bass a lot, tiny mids scooped (since profiles seem to have that strong mid presence) boost if desired I suppose and treble and presence up!

What I found is I could hear the profile a little better and connect to the sound of different amps a little more clearer. After all this THEN started all my usual Amp block tweaks and eq blocks post or pre, studio eq post or pre and any stomp boosts. I found less of a need to do all the usual things but also found another level of depth and dynamics in the profile recreation sound.

All in all its got me thinking different about shaping the back end towards the front versus gain staging and shaping from front to back, first.

Any IR making software, use the monitor out of the kemper instead of a microphone.

I suppose you could make a "direct" IR of the the 2 modes in the kemper and put them in your stomp. Mode 1 would be kemper kone button on, so full range mode and just use either another IR or cab in the stomp or even maybe some dramatic eq settings in the output of the stomp.

Mode 2 would be kone on and imprint on and use that IR by itself.

I do run into limitations from time to time but I still just use a Stage live. I own or have owned all of them except the Headrush stuff. I'm mostly just generalizing what other people have said. They are more things that could be put on that list of things Kemper owners have said they would like to see. I'm good either way. Mostly pointing out that since core tone is hyperfocused and partially objective/subjectively accomplished with the limited number of effects increased in quality to maximum chip usage, and when the opposition steps in that in total, the responses from Kemper Team and the customers that seem to not want or need anything new, who often lunge right in on the topic of dual amps, more effects etc. ,to say they hope to never see a Kemper 2, would indicate a mini. A more modular approach for pedal and desktop users that offers more portability. That's all.

Now for a kpa2, I have to point out that with the fm9 and cortex in the up and comings and staking ground in the new standards, both Kemper and line6 have a chance to take the giant leap forward and leave everyone else in the dust. If they don't then they will be left behind eventually and probably soon by anyone else. Mind you a Kemper today will still sound and feel great 20 years from now. But in way less time than that, technology will evolve, music will change , wants and needs will differ, and chip availability and cost quality will change. If they don't do anything that's fine but why wouldn't they? The Access Virus had a few different models and revisions. It's time they know it, we know it. I've watched them for almost ten years slowly develop with great success and very thought out but it does take a while for them to do things. Hopefully, they have already started at least. And like I said, if not, it doesn't really matter. Customers who bought and love their kempers will probably die with them. They will never buy anything else and that's fine too. Kemper Team themselves could eventually call it a day and never release a new form factor or revision and no more updates either and just go back to making synths again. Is that what yall want? I don't. Not yet anyways. I wanna see them flex on the competitors one more time. I hope whatever it is seems more like a Kemper3 than a 2 because of how advanced it is. They can easily compete with a new model but will they devastatingly surpass the current competitor's units, again.

Just of this list things people say when talking about a Kemper 2 and I think it points to a Mini even more.

1. I want more effects blocks and more flexible routing. "Kemper is for simple Amp tones, go buy an axe fx or external effects device."

2. I want to run 2 amps and 2 cabs. "Buy a second Kemper lolololol"

3. I wish the kemper had an audio interface built in. "There are plenty of affordable interfaces already available and most people already have one."

While these points have some merits and the people want more from the unit, the core fundamental is the Amp tone and ability to profile. To me, these indicate that a stripped down mini version is actually more likely than a version 2 while at the same time doesn't take a mark2 off the table.

If it were me and I had the means, I'd launch all 4 form factors in a version 2 as soon as possible. A rack, a floorboard, a mini, and a toaster with an option for built in power amp(s).

I hear ya but they need to only sell 1000 units to make well over a million dollars profit and with the sail of just the regular toaster and rack reaching well over into the 10s of thousands, it doesn't seem too far off, to me. I only said 3k+ to the someone's who says something like a UniT LiKe tHaT WoULd cOsT A GAZILLIONdollars. Really I know it could be made for less.

I don't really care about the price if the amount of evolution can take the win. Why would they do this? Only if they can see enough efficient and rational reasons while also having the chance to be innovative in there as well. It's totally doable, without a doubt todays chip sets and algorithms are more than conducive for it. For sure there are reasons why not to do something like this in any form factor but... give me an Eventide h9000 and the ability to profile and run multiple signal chains of amps and pedals that also has an internal poweramp for $3k+ and they take/have my monies.

I mean really... I already have this pretty much with my stereo modded power toaster and stage for the same price so... guess I'll just run with that for now.