Posts by OneEng1

I gig live as my primary use case with my Kemper. As a result, I mix my guitar through my PA. It is most important to me how my sound is going through the PA since that is what the audience hears.

The second most important sound to me is how my IEM's sound to me and the band. I set this up with an additional EQ within my monitor mix inside my digital mixer (X32 Rack).

The least important thing to me is the monitor sound through a monitor speaker on stage. To handle this, I use the eq on the monitor output on the Kemper under "Output".

I also use headphones at home for practice (not my IEM rig). For this, I have a separate eq setting on my little ZED 10Fx which I drive my headphones from (and also bring in computer music to play along with). This can also be accomplished with a separate eq on the main outputs of the KPA. It would be nice if someday, the Kemper team would allow us to have a library of eq settings which we could pick by name; however, it isn't too difficult to have them written down since I really only need 2.

In my experience, the EQ is the most critical portion of any guitar tone. If you learn only ONE effect well, that would be the one I would spend the time on to get perfect ;)

I play with a strat with Lindy Fralin SC pickups.

I have my entire pickup area surrounded with copper tape and grounded, but even then there are issues with noise sometimes.

Recently, I noticed with some rigs that I was getting noticeably higher noise from my KPA than usual. As described in this thread, I turned down the guitar volume and found that the noise went away.

That does not mean that you don't have a problem.... it just isn't with the KPA.

My issue was caused by being plugged into a circuit with a computer plugged into it as well. This circuit also has some other loads on it. I found that plugging into a different circuit (not just a different socket) fixed the issue completely (whew).

.... but then I got to thinking ..... what if I play a stage with noisy grounds? I did some searching around and ended up buying a Furman power strip with RFI and EMI filtering. Now even with my KPA plugged into a very noisy circuit, the guitar is very quiet.

Keep in mind that no real single coil rig is going to be completely quiet in every orientation. This is especially true around light dimmer packs or florescent lighting (both cause lots of EMI in the air that is picked up by your single coils). This can be minimized by using shielding (copper tape) around your pick guard area (under the pick guard obviously ;) ).

My rig isn't silent on high gain rigs, but it is fairly quiet (only a slight buzz even on very high gain rigs when using a SC).

Hope this helps.

I forgot!

5) Furman 8 plug power strip with EMI and RFI reduction. (10/10). It has a long cord, and makes even my highest gain rigs very quiet even in my basement with over 30 dimmer controlled lights on. I recommend that everyone go out and get this cheep piece of gear if you have noise issues.

There's already one product on the market, the Cymatic Audio uTrack-X32. But I wouldn't recommend it.The major downside of it is the use of FAT32 filesystem and its limitation to 4GB filesize. No idea why they didn't go for exFAT.

Would be great to see Behringer to come up with a proper solution but I haven't heard of that rumor yet. Hmmm.

I got it straight from Uli Behringer's mouth (post) in response to my continued plea for such a feature.

I agree, the Cymatic Audio is not a good solution.

• Too expensive (considering that many consoles at this price bracket have this feature standard)
    • Not integrated into the X32 firmware (has to be independently controlled with a different tool)

I am hoping for sub $300.00 and firmware integration (as well as app support on PC, Android, and iOS apps).

As my Kemper has been honed into the bands set list, I have found that there are very few things I "NEED".

In 2016:

• Kemper Remote (One of my MIDI cables went bad with my FCB1010 ... but I was really just sick of having 3 things to plug in instead of just 1 ..... and I really wanted the remote. (10/10).
    • Moog EP3 linear pedal (9/10).
    • Audix ATM M50x headphones (huge upgrade over my Sennheiser HD280's) (10/10)
    • Panel mount custom build having all connections for my KPA directly on the back of my rack (10/10)

For 2017 I will be purchasing a new guitar (first one in 15 years). I have a hankerin for something with humbuckers and some gain. I am thinking a PRS SE Custom 24. I have been playing my American Strats for ever. One has Kinman pickups in it and the other has Lindy Fralins. Great sounds, but I feel like I would enjoy some richer sounds on some songs we do.

Rumor has it that Behringer will be releasing a "direct to SD card recorder" expansion card for their X32 digital mixers. Since I have an X32 Rack, I will be all over this when it is released. I currently bring a laptop to every gig. One less piece of equipment to hookup is a great thing.

It is sad really. I used to lust after all kinds of gear. Now I have very few things on my wish list.

Wow, that's a 260lb, $4000 guitar amplifier.

Well ..... it is a 260lb, $4000.00 PA system that my guitar also goes through ;)

It does have lots of low end though.

Seriously though, I really don't like carrying even a single DSR112 when I play with other peoples bands. I greatly prefer to use my IEM's and plug my Kemper directly into the PA.

It seems like a huge step backward (in sound and time) when I have to go with wedges and have a live sound source for my guitar on stage with me.

I have gotten really spoiled in my old age!

Some profiles sound great on a 4 12 but in general I prefer the DSR. My only complaint is the low end. I play down tuned metal and it is better with a sub.

When I play live, I have a pair of DSR112's over a pair of PRX618S-XLF's. The palm mutes can literally shake your pant legs around ;)

Not really a great bedroom rig though :) :)

Just been busy with the holiday's work. I'll have a close look at the source soon. Thank you so much for all the effort you have obviously put into this.

Happy anniversary .... and happy birthday!

Only around 3 years with the KPA. I have to say that being an engineering manager, I can see no business case for a Kemper 2 at this point in time.

There are a few enhancements (the new Verbs of course, but others as well) that I can see being made in the next year, but really, what more could a guitar player desire from his rig?

In order to justify a brand new Kemper, it would either have to:

• Cost much less than the current setup (which does open up the possibility of a kemper floor unit) OR
    • Be much better sounding, or having a much better work-flow (which I am having difficulty understanding how that is possible at this point in time).

I can see a plethora of new rigs, new cabs, new EFX, etc, etc being added to the KPA. All of this will simply make the current hardware sound better and have more options.

I think our investment is pretty safe. To be honest, if there was never another firmware update, I would likely keep my Kemper rack until I can't play any longer ..... and then I would likely give it to my son who also plays ;)

Here's looking forward to some 10 year anniversaries in the future guys :)

In my experience most non powered PA speakers are not that high quality. Sure there are some but the price goes way up.

I have a Powerhead and still use a powered DSR112. I only use the built in poweramp when running through a real guitar cab.

With a powered speaker you also get the added benefit of built in limiting to keep you from blowing the speaker.

Hi Deadpan,

I also use a DSR112 (for mains and for gigging with friends who don't use IEM's). How would you rate the sound of the DSR112 compared to using your power amp and a guitar cab?

I have found that the KPA and DSR112 hangs with my friends "real" cabs and tube amps very well.

I use a pure boost in the MOD slot on every rig and have the setting at +3.0db.

As noted above though, perhaps a better solution would be a studio EQ. With this you can both raise the volume output AND create a bit more cut into the mix by boosting the mids and highs.

I have seen and used the latter approach with traditional tube amp setups in the past (in the efx loop). It seems to work very well.

Using the green scream will also work, but it adds gain to the mix as well. Many rigs will increase the treble when the gain is increased, so you may need to tame the highs if you boost the gain as well. This can be done using the kemper foot controller since you can use 2 slots to do this. One to increase the gain, and the other to modify the eq to keep the treble from tearing off the heads of those in the audience ;)

It happens that I'm really looking for this Money for Nothing rig: metallic kind of sound. However I can't find anyones examples in this topic..Are they all deleted?

DOKKEN SLEEPLESS NIT on the rig exchange by JMAN.

I messed with it quite a bit. If you want I can send you my tweaked version. I don't remember how much I changed it from the original, but I think I spent quite some time on it.

Likely a different problem than I recently opened a ticket for. Mine only occurs on startup, and only when my volume pedal is attached to my Kemper remote. Mine is also 100% reproducible and is corrected simply by touching the volume pedal.

There's one problem - Kemper doesn't send MIDI data when turning the knobs on Kemper. (it sends MIDI data in debug mode, though. It seems that the data sending feature is coded but not "exposed")
    There isn't a good way to make the editor work bi-directionally :(

Here's a test made with Ctrl:
    KPAEditor Community Project(vst, standalone, win, mac , linux ) - based on http://ctrlr.org/ .

I was thinking that getting a SYSEX dump up front might be used to get an initial settings read on startup of the program. I haven't looked into the MIDI implementation of the KPA to see if this is supported, or on what granularity it is supported. It would be nice if a SYSEX message existed to get just the current rig. All rigs might take quite some time (especially at 31.25Kbaud).

Additionally, there must be a way of doing some things bidirectionally. The Uno4Kemper gets some settings (rig, performance mode, stomps activated, volume position, etc) from the KPA on startup.

Without true bi-directional implementation built into the KPA, there is no way to keep the editor synced with the unit ..... IF someone touches the controls on the physical unit.

Since MIDI is just a simple UART protocol, a simple serial sniffer is all you need to interpret the bytes going back and fourth. The Uno4Kemper traffic could be sniffed to figure out the basic bi-directional information it is syncing up with.

Yes...this also happens ...guess its a glitch with a 3rd party pedal !

No. Not necessarily.

The guys at Kemper have verified that my startup volume issue is related to plugging in my Moog pedal into the inputs on my kemper remote. I suspect this is a firmware issue with the kemper remote that they are investigating.

@virango, @OneEng1 and anybody who would contribute to the community editor/librarian - I just thought, before you start working on it, it would be nice to ask community about graphical interface/UI and layout, like ckemper asked about Remote's size and layout.
    I stress this because resembling Profiler's interface 1:1 with many pages for parameters doesn't make sense, since having all parameters on one page is desired state by many I think. 23" LCD screen will allow for that for sure.

I always tell my engineers that you first have to establish the "what" you are doing before you start discussing the "how" ;)

There are power point templates that can be used to create UI stuff with. If a few of you have some ideas of what a good UI might look like, put together some sketches and some work-flows as a starting point.

I agree that using the UI of the existing Kemper isn't the best approach for a PC program.

In general, the advantage of a PC program is the huge amount of screen real estate. Using it most effectively is an art.

Another point that everyone could work on would be to put together a list of uses for the editor. These are typically called "use cases". An example would be "The ability to adjust the PEQ using a graphical interface showing the eq curve".

Once a good set of use cases can be established, and a general work flow can be agreed on, then we start the process of prioritizing which features get implemented first. Keep in mind that the main architecture has to be designed before the very first feature is implemented. The architecture must be designed to handle all use cases .... even if some of the use cases are never implemented. The architecture should never be the reason a use case is not completed ;)

Generally speaking the act of sending MIDI commands back and fourth is the easy portion of the program. The difficult part is the work flow and back end architecture IME.