Posts by OneEng1

Not for much longer ;)

Man, I hope you are right on that one ;)

I always find myself wondering why anyone would want to lug a tube amp around IF they were aware of the Kemper. Loved my VHT .... hated the size and weight. Those 4x12 VHT cabs are way heavier than a MESA cab, and the Marshall's are even lighter than the MESA.

For those still using an H9, you can understand somewhat why. It really is a silly good efx pedal and the Kemper has yet to match it. If they even get close, I will wet myself ;)

Internal feature for me as well.

As others have stated, I sold off amps, cabs, and external effects in favor of my beloved Kemper.

For me, ease of transport, setup, and stage foot print were the big deciding factors in replacing my VHT rig.

I would like to see a better verb selection first (but I know this is slated last right now :( ). The delay's would be next. I do cover a couple of U2 songs that I am looking forward to a double tap delay for. I won't likely use the morphing feature ..... but I do plan to play around with it.

I wont be needing any MIDI commands to control external gear since I have a simple 3 space case for my Kemper with a home built rear patch bay for ease of setup at my gigs. My life has never been easier with respect to gig setup and tear down.

I find that the Kemper sound plenty good for live gigging. Does an Eventide verb sound better? Yep. Will the audience hear the difference live? Probably not ;)

Although I am a full kemper owner like the rest of you, I am also involved in product development and engineering.

Cell phones used to be very big, very expensive, and only the very elite had them. I suspect that the people that sold them made a pretty penny on each one sold (the margin was huge).

Today, cell phones are owned by everyone (including children above grade school age). While the profit on each one is likely small, the overall profit is huge since the numbers sold are so high.

Imagine what would have happened to a company that stuck with the original cell phone design in an effort to continue keeping their existing customer base happy.

I don't think Kemper is in any danger of this in the near future. AFAIK, there is only 1 competitor which is currently more expensive (AxeII Fx). I haven't heard any tone comparisons between the new AX8 and the Kemper, but my gut (and history) tells me that it is likely the Kemper would do very well in such a comparison.

Of course, time passes and the competitive landscape never stays the same.

If Kemper were to release a floor unit (Oh lets just say it costs ~ $1200 as suggested). Lets say it has all the capabilities of the current Kemper (minus the powered option of course), sure, it would likely canabolize some of the original KPA sales, but it would also bring in lots more sales.

Today, we have 2 options (for the most part). A 2K kemper paired with $600 Kemper pedal board, or a $150 FCB1010 with a Uno4Kemper chip.

The former is a better gig rig for several reasons. The latter is a good poor-mans gig rig. Still, the consumer is looking at a $2150 - $2600 gig solution.

A Kemper floor unit at $1200 would be as usable as the $2600 solution and would be just as functional (from a gig perspective). I would think that a great PC editor via USB would be the best way to get around the HMI issues associated with most floor processors. It also allows the unit cost to be kept lower.

I don't know about the rest of you, but my use model doesn't allow me to tweak the kemper at gigs. All my tweaking is done outside of a gig environment. Basic controls on the floor board, with a great PC editor would be just fine for me ;)

Love speculating.

Regardless, I would not be selling my Kemper. I am very happy with the solution I have.

I think its the fact that these new updates strengthen the weaknesses of the Kemper that people have been complaining about. Mainly the flexibility in live situations, which the morphing fixes, and more exotic effects for more "modern" sounds. While many people were expecting the spring reverb now I can understand why CK decided to focus on these first, as the reverb on the Kemper was never a "weakness" it works just fine for live, and in the studio most people will use their own dedicated reverbs that they probably already have.

Overall its a pretty good time to own a Kemper imho. Very little this machine can't do right now, and what it does it so far it does pretty damn good.
    The fact that theyve been updating this device with new features for years and years instead of churning out new hardware blows my mind.
    We can probably expect atleast a year or two of new features atleast. Which company does that for free ?

Agreed.

The verb is quite usable as is (at least for me). The delay's on the other hand are somewhat limited (no multi-tap). The U2 in me really misses this feature ;)

cheers guys! It certainly seems faster. I don't remember it being that fast with my FCB1010, but I'm gonna go Remote anyways.

Well, it wasn't for some time.

I think the above trace was done on the 2.6 Beta which fixed the original switching time. I have a post around here somewhere where I posted the old firmware and the new firmware along with several runs averaged which was much more comprehensive. The end result was that it was previously around 200-400mSec and with the new firmware, it was between 80-120 mSec.

I haven't done the test since then, but I gig the unit and practice with it all the time and haven't had any reason to check since the switch is "instant" as far as I can hear.

There is simply no getting around it..... the KPA is just incredible as is the team that designs and updates it.

I walk into gigs now with a small 3 space rack, a foot pedal with a shoulder strap, and a guitar all in one trip. I plug into the PA with XLR's, and into my foot switch and I have perfect tone on every song every night.

I was perfectly happy with the KPA the day I bought it because I waited until the performance mode was supported and a decent low cost foot switch was available to control it.

The delay was a weak spot in the product, but still, it was very usable and still sounded quite good. The verbs that are in the unit are very good, but perhaps not Eventide quality .... still, seriously?

A stand alone KPA rig sounds better than any local rig I have ever heard. There are a few touring acts that have 10x the money in their rig (along with a crew to maintain it) that sound better.

I agree with others here. Start a new thread about your disappointments with this product.

I for one couldn't possibly be happier with the product and the continued improvement over the years. These new features further enhance an already fantastic product. It is simply the best single unit guitar rig money can buy. In the very near future, it may well be the best complete guitar rig money can buy. How anyone can be unhappy with that is beyond me.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune :(

Just hearing of someone else having to play without their Kemper gave me the chills .... the thought is simply horrifying!

I would say this about amp failures though. You guys have to admit, real tube amps fail with a flare (fire, smoke, boom, pop...... ) that the Kemper will never equal :) So I guess the Kemper isn't EXACTLY like a tube amp after all.

Seriously though, I have gigged with tube amps for the last 30+ years. Between the amp and the pedal board, the failures were many over that time (even one fire). I would say that the Kemper is at least as reliable as any rig I have ever used.

While I could make it through the night with my HRD and a couple of pedals, I wouldn't be happy doing it.

WOW! First interesting thing I have heard out of NAMM ..... and wouldn't you just know it .... it is from Kemper!

I can't wait to hear the new delay's. I will brush up on my U2 in the mean time ;)

It just keeps getting better and better. LOVE my Kemper .... and love the company that makes it.

Last week I auditioned a new guitar player. He walked through the door with a TSL head, a HK head, and a 4x12 cab with a huge pedal board complete with amp switches and the works (I am sure many of us had a rig like this at one time). He couldn't believe the quality of tone of the Kemper compared to his rig.... so he is out purchasing a new Kemper now ;)

I really love that Kemper keeps making a great product even better.

What I'd love to see in a Kemper 2 is a new profiling process where you turn the gain and EQ nobs while profiling so it profiles the gain structure of the amp and how the eq interacts

Whoa! Great idea. Hopefully this thread is being monitored ;)

It is my opinion (we all have one you know ;) ), that most people who buy a Kemper, do so after quite a bit of research. I consider myself someone who fits this description as well.

After reading a few hundred posts and reviews, what I discovered was that most people who purchase a Kemper do so because they love the sound of a good tube amp, have owned many of the best amps money can buy, and generally are among the more picky tone fanatics out there.

The kemper does what it does better than any other product on the market at this time. It sounds like a good tube amp.

Now, that isn't everyone's cup of tea. There are those who like to tweak and get interesting combinations of sounds and effects. I would argue (based off of my own research and experience) that products like the Axe II Fx do this better than the Kemper does.

Obviously, I don't care to merge 2 rigs together to get a different sound myself. I want to hear that good ole tube sound. Give me the basics in verbs and delays and great tube amp feel and sound .... and I become a very happy man ;)

There are things I would like to see Team Kemper implement ..... like a lower cost foot pedal form factor product; however, when it comes to tone, I really can't think of how they could make the product THAT much better sounding.

Just one more thought. One of the strongest reasons I see to buy a Kemper is that it is just really darned easy to get a great sound out of it. The simplicity of the system is its greatest strength IMHO.

I would love such a product. I believe that a 1K Kemper floor board would open a huge market to Kemper.

As it sits today, Kemper has a good lead on pure guitar tone against all the competition. The only part of my Kemper that I yearn for more is that it would be more convenient if it were a stand alone floor board.

To be honest, if I had such a device, I would still keep my Kemper Rack. It is great with all its amp like controls..... but I would prefer the convenience of a stand alone floor board for gigging. Smaller, less hookup, and just as good sounding.... where do I sign up? ;)

The only real question is whether or not the KPA has enough processing power to handle everything when it's all added together.

Being an engineer myself, I can see lots of tricks that CK has yet to employ.

I agree that some algorithms are quite costly with respect to processing. A very common trick is to limit the stackup of efx in the chain in order to put more processing into a few slots vs less processing into more slots.

I don't know about you guys, but MOST of the rigs I use have LOTS of open processing slots. I generally put a pure boost in position 5 on ALL my rigs just to raise my level up a slight bit. This is a great example of an effect that would be inexpensive in terms of processing (free in reality).

With this trick in mind, I strongly suspect that CK could put some insanely powerful verbs and delays into the KPA.

This possibility has me very excited! That would be one hell of a firmware upgrade IMO :)

For the record, I find the delays to be quite adequate, but do wish for a good plate verb :(

I'm sure that L & M would stock a Jr. version if it priced at under $1k.
    Very few pickers have $2k and that puts Kemper in a tiny market, only for the elite.

That is my thought as well. If you can get things down below the 1K level, you get lots of weekend warriors looking at it very seriously. At 2K, it is a tough investment for most.

I don't believe that a company has to cover all the possible market space; I don't think that a company "fails" when this happens.
    But, most important, I do not at all agree that a floorboard would be any improvement! I HATE floorboards, I want to have my knobs at chest's height!

LOL

While chest height is nice for those that can tweak while playing, the majority of pickers I know (including myself) do all manipulations in a gig through the floor pedal in real time.... usually just with rig/patch changes mostly.

I do love tweaking at home with the Rack though. You are on the money for me there. A floor pedal would not be nearly as convenient for that use case. I do think that a usb cable and a PC app would fix this issue though. A floor board with a good PC app would be the way I would prefer to operate. YMMV.