Posts by OneEng1

I'll add my personal vote for 2.6 beta sounding better overall than 2.5.

I hadn't modified the LF of any of my rigs, so perhaps that has something to do with my preference. I have a few TAF rigs I use and I feel they now sound better, not worse. Obviously YMMV.

I have never heard, nor do I own a CLR. I do own a pair of DSR112's that I use for my PA (and playing around at home with my Kemper).

I go straight into the PA with the band and we all use IEM's, so I have no need for floor wedges.

What I will say in support of the DSR's is that they are a very prolific speaker, are well liked across the board (I have never heard anyone who has heard them or who has owned them say anything negative about them), and in all my years of reading forums (both guitar and live sound forums), I haven't heard of a single failure of any DSR112 speaker.

I have personally abused my speakers (on accident). I was mixing from side stage one night and unknown to me, the sensitivity on one speaker (the one opposite where I was mixing from) was pegged high. This resulted in the speaker being operated at limit for an entire set. I noticed it when walking around the room, but didn't figure it out until the set was over.

Not only did the speaker not have any damage, it sounded quite good running with a solid red clip light.

I think that any small difference in sound you may get from a CLR to a DSR could likely be equalized out to be nearly impossible to hear.

The reliability and repair / replacement capabilities of the DSR would be more important to me.

Just my 2 cents.

I wonder why the Profiler should freeze. The recommended way is to turn on the Profiler and when it has booted, turn on the U4K. But usually it doesn't hurt to turn them on both sametime. The interconnection protocol takes care of that.

It didn't matter with 2.33 - 2.5. I did both all the time, sometimes on purpose, some times on accident, but I always got a proper sync.

Now .... not so much.

I am still not downgrading my firmware! This release has WAY too many good things in it to give them up for something so trivial as this little sync bug ;)

I think I have found a bug (but not a very serious one).

Using the FCB1010 and Uno4Kemper v1.3.

It appears that if the FCB is turned on first, then the Kemper, the FCB always starts on performance 1 bank 1 even if the Kemper was turned off somewhere else.

The bidirectional communications seem fine since when I change from performance mode to browser mode, the FCB correctly changes its LED lights to indicate the mode correctly.

It looks like when the Kemper starts up, it shows the tuner for a moment. While this is showing, the FCB is correctly synchronized. Once the Kemper leaves that screen, it goes to performance 1, channel 1.

To start off, I was in performance mode, then changed to something other than perf 1, ch 1, then turn the power off. When I turned the Kemper back on, I turned it on directly into performance mode.

Is anyone else seeing this? I can reproduce it at will.

Thanks for the replies! Ingolf and Eng1 we tried it tonight on my other guitarist setup and wow very cool and indeed a sweet improvement!! Notices the ampiness blossoms for sure on some of the main profiles, tighter for sure. I appreciate the support as always.

You are very welcome :)

I am glad you are enjoying the upgrade. I sure am!

Thanks, yes I realize all of the backup info etc. The chip is the 1st run 1.0ver and I am upgrading because I'm hoping to improve the feel and use of the Vol and Wah. I was after any details that we may have to do to our profiles, rigs or otherwise going from 2.3.3 to the 2.6

Thanks for the reply.

I would recommend getting the latest Uno4Kemper chip if you use your kemper for live purposes. The performance mode is very nice for this.

Even without the upgrade, you are safe though. Enjoy the upgrade! It is a good one this time ;)

I would always encourage backing up your Kemper before doing an upgrade (if not just to have it around even if you aren't doing an upgrade).

If your FCB1010 and Uno4Kemper is working on 2.33, then it will work fine on 2.6. The big change in Uno4Kemper chips happened when performance mode was put in in 2.xx. As long as your FCB1010 is already doing that, then there are no other changes I am aware of that you would need to upgrade for.

What version of the Uno4Kemper chip do you have?

You can always revert to an older version of firmware on your Kemper if something is fishy ;)

2nd day of playing with 2.6 Beta.

I would add my thanks to the rest and complement CK on a fantastic upgrade further enhancing an already outstanding product.

The switching speed is indeed much faster using an FCB1010 with Uno4Kemper 1.3.

I was getting around 200-250mSec of switch time prior to the upgrade, and now I am measuring around 90mSec!

The top trace is the output of the Kemper while the bottom trace is a microphone near the foot switch so you can see the delay pretty clearly. Note that the rig changed (heavy to clean) more quickly than my foot tapped from down to up. FYI, I was in performance mode when doing the test.

[Blocked Image: http://www.mtomidnight.com/images/delay%20with%202.6%20beta.jpg]

Oh, I agree that flexibility is very important ..... to some part of the market.

One might guess that with a product like the Kemper which is about as fancy a guitar gizmo as you can find on this Earth today, the the kinds of people that would naturally gravitate to the Kemper would also be the kinds of people that would want a very flexible and programmable foot controller.

For me, the Uno4Kemper was an obvious solution since I had an FCB1010 gathering dust in my basement on a shelf (and the wife considers anything that hasn't been used in 2 years to be fair game for eBay ;) ). It also helped ease the pain of the explaining the "need" to purchase a $2,000.00 gizmo for what is more-or-less a hobby for me.

There are things I miss with this "value" solution. I would love to see the preset names on my foot controller. I miss being able to hit a button to switch a patch, and then hit the same button again to toggle back to the previous patch, the volume pedal is nearly useless, I dislike having to power the foot controller separately, and the buttons on the FCB are just a bit too close for me.

It isn't a high end solution by any stretch of the imagination, but it is capable of getting the job done and covers all the features of the Kemper nicely (especially the performance mode which I can not live without).

True, but it just works straight out of the box without any setup as well (other than installing the PROM.

Updates in the PROM are only required to be purchased if new features are added to the Kemper that are not already handled (like when 2.x included performance mode).

If you have recently (like 1 month) purchased an Uno4Kemper chip and they come out with a new rev, they will discount the upgrade by 1/2 I think.

Otherwise, the ~ $20.00 for a new chip isn't that steep IMHO.

Consider the cost of most of the competing solutions at around $400-$1000.00.

X32 Rack, Furman HDS6 and HR6 wired IEM system with Shure SE215 buds all around (4 piece)

vDrums, Kemper, and bass all DI. Lead guitar is a 2x12 Blackstar facing the rear (and miced with an e609) with a plexiglass shield over the open back to keep the stage noise out of the audience.

Love the IEM's and would never go back to lugging amps and wedges around again.

The comment about the center being quiet is accurate though. We have only really experienced this on really wide stages in bars that aren't very deep.

In those instances we setup a center speaker to fill in the gap in the sound coverage. The X32 has a seperate center output specifically for this purpose so you can adjust the center fill volume to taste.

Welcome to KPAA (Kemper Profiling Amp Anonymous) for those with Kemper addiction syndrome ;)

Watch for the early warning signs like your finger tips getting sore, your wife/girlfriend complaining you are spending too much time "with that thing", and a silly grin permanently stuck to your face.

Reverb, compression, flange, and any number of other efx intentionally add latency into the signal to achieve their results.

Speakers do not move air instantaneously either since they are a mechanical device.

Pre-amp and power tubes in many circuits in tube amps also add latency as do the massive coils in those devices.

I find it impossible to believe that no one has had any latency in their "analog" rigs that was not similar to the Kemper.

The only real good arguement I have ever heard for latency being an issue was with vocals and IEM's with digital mixers. Since you are both creating the sound with your voice and hearing it with your ears (both directly and from the IEM), people can sometimes detect latency of 5-10mSec. Even this becomes meaningless if the person has any verb on their vocal.

With a guitar rig, there are so many mechanical and electrical latencies built into the instrument chain that the Kemper is insignificant in the equation IMHO.

Last night I purchased and loaded the TwoRock 35 from TAF.

Wonderful! Can anyone comment on the relative difference between the 35 and the 50? I might have to get it too :)

I will have a bit of tweaking (level wise) to do to fit all these new rigs into our setlist, but they are a definite step up in quality all the way around.

Thanks again guys.

Check out the Marshall Modded Golub Crunch rig in the rig exchange. Awesome for AC/DC tones. Has a real vibe to it. But could be because I'm using humbuckers.

Very nice!

I didn't care for the delay, and with a strat, it required a more gain and clarity punched up to ~3.5, but it sounds fantastic.

Thanks!

Oh GOD you guys are killin me.

Just spent HOURS and HOURS playing. Pure bliss.

Ok, here is what I got so far.....

Didn't care much for the trainwreck rigs I found on rig manager, but absolutely loved loved loved the following:

1) TAF ManRock 800 (JCM800 hot modded) free and included in the Kemper standard rig list. I think I can do lots with this rig to get that AC DC tone.

2) Morgan AC20 (rig exchange). Just WOW.

3) JMJ Princeton Clean

I do have a TwoRock rig manager rig that I really like alot, so I may give the TAF commercial TwoRock rigs a try next.

This is exactly what I wanted. Thanks again guys!!!