Posts by ST

Hi, Tom.

What kind of computer are you using for recording?

I'm using all Microsoft Surface devices (no lightning port) so I went with the RME Babyface Pro FS. I considered Universal Audio but their products weren't compatible with my computers.

This is

• extremely portable
    • buss powered
    • has four analog inputs
      • two XLR/mic
      • two 1/4" high impedance instrument inputs
    • two headphone outputs
    • optical i/o (you would need converters to run S/PDIF to the Kemper)

If you want to understand the product - check out this thread in the RME Community.

ST

Hi, Kaschko.

Let me try this again.

There's one thing I still can't wrap my head around:

So the best result for my Kemper Kabinet is with Merged or Direct profiles. However, the best profile to go into the PA is a Studio profile, isn't it?

✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄ - ✂ - ✄

If there were two Profiles (Studio and Merged), of the same of amp with the same settings, they should sound identical going to the PA (Main Outputs).

Going to the PA through the main outputs the Studio Profile will no better than a Merged Profile

Wouldn't this mean I have two choices -

a) I use a merged or direct profile that sounds great with my Kabinet but the audience will get a lesser quality audio.

A Merged Profile and a Studio Profile will sound the same to the audience regardless of what you do with the Monitor settings you apply to the Kabinet.

b) I use a Studio profile so the PA gets a perfect input but I have to make compromises with the sound from my Kabinet.

The PA

The PA will have the same "perfect" sound regardless of whether you use the Studio Profile or the Merged Profile. A Direct Profile does not include a Cab section, so you'd want to add a Cab so it sounds like a microphone on a guitar speaker in a guitar cabinet. The Monitor Kone settings ignore the Cab you selected for the Main Outputs for the PA.

The Kone/Kabinet

With the Merged Profile, the Profiler can get a pure separation of the Amp and Cab sections. With a Studio Profile, the Kemper must simulate the separation. Either way, you can get a great outcome. In theory, the Merged Profile should give you the Amp heard through the Speaker Imprint you choose for the Kone.

One last shot at this - and this applies to the sound from the Kone through the Monitor output.

Merged Profile

A Merged Profile is created out of two separate profiles. It takes three steps.

1. Make a Direct Profile
    2. Make a Studio Profile
    3. Make the Merged Profile ("Merge the cabinet" is the description in the Kemper Manual)

When you use a Merged Profile with Kone Speaker Imprints, the Profiler can isolate and use the Amp section and ignore the Cab.

Studio Profile - (created in one step)

To use a Studio Profile with Kone Speaker Imprints, the Profiler must attempt to separate the Amp from the Cab. The Profiler has not ever heard them separately. The result is an approximation. It might sound great, but it may not be accurate.

A terrible Simile: A Profile is like a Pizza

• The Amp is the crust and sauce. The Cab is the toppings.
    • A Merged Profile is like a pizza that came as a crust and sauce. The toppings are in a separate container. You apply the toppings just before you cook and eat the pizza.
    • A Studio Profile is like a pizza that came with the toppings already applied to the saucy crust.

Merged Pizza

If you want different toppings, that's easy. Throw away the toppings (Cab) that came in the separate container. Apply your own toppings (Speaker Imprints).

Studio Pizza

If you want different toppings, you must remove the toppings that are already there. You may or may not get them all, and even if you do, they may have altered the taste of the sauce. Then add your toppings. The pizza may still be delicious, but it may not be what you intended.

ST

Hi, Kaschko.

There's one thing I still can't wrap my head around:

So the best result for my Kemper Kabinet is with Merged or Direct profiles. However, the best profile to go into the PA is a Studio profile, isn't it?

If there were two Profiles (Studio and Merged), of the same of amp with the same settings, they should sound identical going to the PA (Main Outputs).

A Direct Profile does not include a Cab section, so you'd want to add a Cab so the sound going to the PA includes the effect of the guitar speaker in a guitar cabinet.

Reminder: What you do with Kone settings affect only the Monitor Outputs.

ST

Hi, stormhenge,

Back to the topic of your thread: I read what you wrote in your original post and subsequent replies.

Thank you for the thought-provoking ideas.

You said, "Food for thought", and I looked up Tower Records and researched your reference to Lars. And I was curious about the person who raised these points and searched the web for "Stormhenge Superthump" in your signature line because I wanted to get to know the author of these ideas better. That's how I came upon Tonegoddess.com and subsequently did a search for Shian Storm. This led to some further reading and a sense of the integrity you bring to your art.

I was surprised to find my picture on your website mainly because the picture does not depict the situation you described. 👈 This alone should be reason enough to remove it. That's not a gray area.

Anyway, thanks for the interesting thought exercise.

All the best,

ST

Hi, stormhenge.

I don't have to prove copyright because copyright vests in the creator when the art is created.

I know I took the photo, and I know you didn't. I know you didn't obtain permission from the copyright holder to use it. If you had taken the picture or asked for permission to use it, you would know that the loudspeaker in the picture is mounted in front of the stage facing the audience - not as you said, "Sometimes, not often, but sometimes.... The PA speakers are mounted on the walls, and either pointing at the stage from off to your right and/or left, or even better they're BEHIND YOU. " on the Nightmare Venues page

The picture does not depict the situation you described. 👈 This alone should be reason enough to remove it.

I brought this to light because you seem concerned about protecting intellectual property. The irony is:

You are advocating for DRM, and you are using my image without permission.

Related reading: Clean Hands

I have asked you to remove the picture because you said "lemme know which picture is yours along with your copyright notice, and gladly I'll remove it."

I made it clear which picture I meant, and you chose to post it here and use again, without permission.

I gave you the information, and you and I both know a copyright notice is not required. And we both know that just because a picture is on the web does not mean that it is free for anyone to grab and use. Putting something on the web does not put it into the public domain.

Hi, culture thief.

It looks like the screen contrast is too low.

Press the System button.

On Page [1/1] adjust the Contrast .

(The first knob on the left, below the display).

Does that help?

Cheers,

ST

and you won't... until there's DRM

lemme know which picture is yours along with your copyright notice, and gladly I'll remove it.

Copyright vests in the creator when the art is created. The picture appears on your home page immediately above the caption, "Nightmare Venues".

It also appears below the text "Sometimes, not often, but sometimes.... The PA speakers are mounted on the walls, and either pointing at the stage from off to your right and/or left, or even better they're BEHIND YOU. " on the Nightmare Venues page. Interestingly, the picture does not depict the situation you described in the text.

You don't have permission to use that image. Please remove it from both locations.

Thank you,

ST

Hi, stormhenge.

Is this your article?

https://www.tonegoddess.com/si…ent-you-walk-in-the-venue

I took one of the pictures (and hold the copyright to said picture) that appears on that page.

Food for thought.

You've made your request for DRM and made your case in a community of people who have subscribed (with their feet and their money), to a model of sharing. This is evidenced by the Rig Exchange where Kemper users create and share Profiles for free. This community thrives on people sharing information, tips, tricks, and practical use-cases and sometimes music, for free.

Perhaps, at least in this instance, you are tilting at windmills.

Interestingly, I searched Rig Exchange, but could not find any mention of "Stormhenge" or "Superthump".

Food for thought.

Hi, Yoda Guitar,

I would take my own laptop to the studio. You need the laptop anyway :-)

The problem that often nobody pays attention to is that the profiles used are often copyright protected. Therefore I would always try to leave the Studio Kemper behind as I found it. Therefore I would always ask the studio operator to create a backup, which can be restored after the session.

Point taken about leaving a copy of the Performance. I have amended my post above.

So far, the missing piece in the discussion is the agreement with the studio operator. That agreement should cover the before and after state of the Profiler (e.g., operating system version, Profiles installed, responsibility for returning the Profiler to the 'before' state).

Cheers,

ST

Hi, Yoda Guitar.

I like your approach because it ensures that Clselby will have everything they need for the Performance to work. Transferring only the Performance but not the Operating System, there's a possibility the Performance includes features (e.g. new overdrives in KAOS 8.x) that are not supported in an older version of the Operating System (if the studio environment is not up to date).

You'd want to get permission from the studio before doing a backup from, and installing a different version of the operating system on, the studio Profiler. It would take longer to do the backups and install the Operating System and then reverse that when you are done, than to install the Performance file using Rig Manager.

On the other hand, I'd expect the studio to be running the latest production version of the Operating System and Rig Manager. If that's the case, then you should only need the Performance file. Installing it on the Profiler in the studio should take seconds.

Clselby,

I'd make a point of saving the Performance at the end of the studio session if you have made any changes to it while there.

Edit: Keep a copy of the Performance in case you need to have the same settings later.

Edit:

Consider leaving a copy of it with the studio, so they have it on file. You will want that if you return to the studio and you want the same sound.

Hi dB Cooper.

If you navigate with the left and right arrow keys, the profiles load instantly (or double click with mouse). Does that work for you? Or, do you mean something different when you say, Instant Preview?

Hi, Clselby,

You can export/import Rigs and Presets using a USB key. To transfer a Performance, use Rig Manager - at both ends.

Ensure both source and target Kemper Profilers are running the same version of the Kemper Operating System. If they aren't, the target Profiler may not support features in the Performance. For example, Kemper Overdrives released in KAOS 8.x aren't supported in earlier versions.

Export a Performance in Rig Manager using Windows (I don't have a Mac, but this should be similar)

1. Navigate to All Performances | My Profiler
    2. Right Click the Performance you want to Export
    3. Choose Export (Ctrl-E)
    4. Select the Destination (Your USB Key)
      It will have a file extension .kperformance

Import a Performance using Rig Manager

1. Navigate to All Performances | My Profiler
    2. Open a new window in Windows File Manager
      1. Navigate to the USB key
      2. Find the Performance you want to Import
    3. Use the mouse to drag the Performance
      • From the File Manager Window
      • To the Rig Manager All Performances | My Profiler into one of the New Performance locations.
    4. The Performance should be available in the Profiler.
      1. Set the Profiler to Performance Mode
      2. In Rig Manager, select the Performance, then Ctrl-Enter to load it.
      3. Save the Performance to the Profiler
        • In Rig Manager, click Store Performance in #___ (the Performance slot)
          OR
          On the Profiler, Press the Store Button 3 times to make sure it's stored.

The following is from the Kemper Manual version 7.5 - No mention of transferring Performances via USB key.

Kemper Manuals and Quick Start guides

Hi, Laker.

Are these new OD's available in the Distortion slot like the Green Scream? If so, why did they not load with the 8.0 software uograde?

On the Profiler,

In the Distortion

Scroll down (they are NOT in alphabetical order). I made the new ones in the list below bold.

Green Scream

👇

👇

👇

👇

👇

👇

Mouse

Full OC

👇

👇

👇