Posts by ST

Hi Robman,

Using the Kemper Remote to control the SIM1 XT-1 sounds like a way to avoid tapping the SIM1 XT-1 multiple times when changing pickups. There are still the mental gymnastics of keeping the pickup selector on the guitar in sync with the pedal.

It might be simpler just to add another midi controller or just tap dance on the SIM1 XT-1 though. What if you want to switch rigs?

For example:

Say you want to play five different rigs but with those, you might choose any one of three guitars with up to five different pickups.

You'd be okay if

- You stayed with one profile for a whole song, but switched pickups at various points in the song.

OR

- You stayed with one guitar and pickup for a whole song, but switched rigs at various points in the song

For studio work, I imagine you could reduce the number of variables for a song or passage.

I'm beginning to think this could be challenging for playing live if you frequently switch pickups while playing.

Ingolf

Thanks for your replies.

Thinking through the playing experience it looks like I will have to tap the SIM1 XT-1 one or more times every time I change change pickups on the guitar I'm playing. For example:

On the guitar, switching from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup - the blade switch moves through one, two, three, four notches but of course, you can do that in one smooth movement. On the floor, I have to tap up or down button, one, two, three, four times. That feels like a lot of thinking and coordination to switch pickups. That might not be a big obstacle in the studio, but I can imagine getting out-of-sync when playing live.

Ingolf, am I missing something?

ST

Hi,

I'm looking for opinions from fellow Kemper owners about the SIM1 XT-1. I think we have some things in common so if you have had any experience with the SIM1 XT-1, I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts about it.

I've read through the other discussions here where people have mentioned it. That's what caught my interest.

Cost

In my country, the SIM1 XT-1 is half the price of a Kemper Stage, twice the price of a Strymon Iridium - just mentioning that to put it into perspective.

Rationale: Unlimited Guitars

I have all the guitars on my bucket list (and I just bought two), so I wouldn't be getting it to save the cost of new guitar acquisitions. By choice I don't have any Fenders anymore, and I don't often find myself missing those sounds. But if I needed those sounds, it would be handy to have the option. This afternoon I told a good friend about the SIM1 XT-1 and when I said, it's like having a Kemper Profiler for guitars. With barely a blink she said, "But the guitars feel different".

Guitar Tones: Make/Use your own

If I've understood the concept, I can make my own tones for my guitars (with their pickup selections). Then I can take one guitar to a gig and make that one guitar sound like any of my other guitars. This would be like profiling all my amps and taking the Kemper to the gig.

Guitar Source Guitars - a separate USB key for each guitar

It sounds like I would play different guitars but have access to all the tones I had created by having a separate USB key for each guitar. I can imagine keeping the USB keys in the guitar cases for each guitar. For me, part of the reason for having more than one guitar is l like the way different guitars feel and look (in addition to the way the sound and sound different from others).

Fly Rig: Amp Sims, IRs, Reverb and Overdrive

I've been thinking about getting a small unit for those times it's not convenient to use my Kemper Profiler (unpowered lunchbox). For those situations the Strymon Iridium looks pretty good. Every time I get close to buying one, someone suggests I get the Line 6 HX Stomp instead. It's an easy up sell. I don't have any pedals and I might end up getting a couple. Although for what I play most of the time, a decent reverb, occasional touch of delay. Setting aside the creeping incrementalism, I wonder if the SIM1 XT-1 would be enough for those casual occasions instead of the Strymon Iridium.

Reputation, Reliability, Quality

I can't find much online about the company behind the SIM1 XT-1, the reliability of the unit, the quality of the tones. Do you have any experience with the SIM1 XT-1?

Okay - thanks for reading. I'd appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Cheers,

ST

How does this fit into your thinking about leveling rig volumes?

How to optimize volumes?

Rig Volume (bottom row left) is made for adjusting relative volume differences between Rigs for your performance. In general it should be placed on or around the middle position (unity volume). If you do that, you should rarely see a red OUTPUT LED.

We have put weeks of work into the PROFILER™ for creating a constant volume situation. One aspect of this is that the volume is automatically fine-tuned during the PROFILING™ process. But this cannot be done 100% perfectly, because a perceived volume is not necessarily equal to a measured energy. The sound (here the frequency spectrum) of your guitar will also have an impact on the perceived volume. A Strat single coil will deliver totally different results compared to a humbucker on a 7-string guitar. This cannot be anticipated or calculated. Last but not least, the most important: The output volume of your guitar. The levels of various guitars could differ by more than 20 dB. That's a lot! Clean sounds fully depend on the volume of your guitar (unless you use a compressor) while high gain sounds are mostly constant due to the compression aspect of the distortion. This is why it's mandatory to "tell" the PROFILER about the volume of your guitar by adjusting the Clean Sens parameter in the INPUT section. Please read the respective chapter in the manual or view the tutorial video about the INPUT section. If you set the Clean Sens parameter correctly for your guitar, so that clean an distorted sounds have the same energy for your ears, you will have the perfect setting for your guitar: - only minor volume differences between different Rigs - no red LED on input nor output. The PROFILER performs automatic leveling during the PROFILING process. This can later be modified by you with the target guitar, your ears and a simple tweak of a knob.

Source: https://www.kemper-amps.com/faqs

Thanks I will try this later and let you know how I did. How do I turn down the volume of the looper?

I haven't found a way to turn down the volume of the loop (independent of the Master Volume).

I record the loop at a lower volume (rig volume). I generally play along with my loops using a different rig.

You should also mention, how polarity is set on the PROFILER side. If you change Polarity in the PROFILER menu, the polarity switches on the BOSS need to be set the opposite way.

I suggest you test polarity with another switching function first: Assign for example module A including let's say a Distortion. The external switch should trigger on/off of module A when it is pushed. If it trigger on/off when it gets released, polarity is set the wrong way.

The polarity option was removed in OS 7.2.1

I copied the picture of the Profiler settings from my original post into the one two above this one.

Hi, rustolium.

If you use the "signal LEDS Blue" option on System menu page 3 know that your output LED will be red. The input LED is Blue, but the output LED is red. Simple code mistake, but caused me a bit of rustling around. My ear said all was ok, but I still had to track it down.

I searched, but didn't see anything. Hope this helps.

Power Head version: 7.2.2.16146

Can't replicate that on my unpowered toaster.

version: 7.2.2.16146

What is the correct way to end a loop so it restarts properly? Also, which volume setting do you use to control the volume of the looper? Thanks for all your help guys! I think the looper will be a turning point in my playing

Starting and stopping.

Try this.

Count

One Two Three Four (out loud, repeat)

As you say each number, hit a note (e.g., G on the E string)

Repeat that a few times until you're maintaining a steady rhythm

Tap your foot in time as you count (the one you will use to control the looper)

When your rhythm is steady

Tap Button One (Record) on the One (keep playing)

Tap Button One (Play) on the second One (second time around), stop playing

When you're tired of hearing your four notes, hit button 2 (stop), then two more times to clear.

Repeat the exercise as necessary to get your timing .

Go for more bars.

Replace notes with chords.

You'll get the timing in no time.

Check out this episode of That Kemper Show 15:50 where they talk about the Soft Shaper

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

To set the Boss FS-6 to work with the looper set the switches like this.

Note with OS 7.2.1 - you can no longer set the polarity

OS 7.2.1 - polarity option removed

You can see the full explanation in my post above.

7.2.2 No audio on any of the analogue outputs. Have reverted back to 7.1.19. This is my first issue with the beta updates

Ran into the same problem.

Rebooted the Kemper and restarted RigManager.

Everything was fine after that.

We can hope it would work like this with the midi out from the Stage.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I've just relistened to the original clip in this thread. It sounds as good as or even better than most DI acoustic guitars to my ears. I've rarely heard a really nice sounding plugged in acoustic; I've been fooled whilst playing one, only to hear it played back and found it sounded almost nothing like what I was hearing. But I've seen artists on the biggest stages thrashing away at something which just doesn't sound like an acoustic guitar to me. If they're content, then the convenience of this will be very appreciated.

So true!

The sound you want from an acoustic guitar on stage depends on what else is on the stage and the role it plays in the music.

An acoustic guitar in the context of a band serves a different need than an acoustic guitar played solo or as the sole accompaniment to a vocalist.

I've long ago given up on the mythical unicorn - an amplified acoustic guitar that sounds the same guitar without amplification.

When is an acoustic guitar no longer an acoustic guitar? When you amplify it.

What I heard in the clip, along with I expect we'd be able to do with it in the Kemper, will work for my needs on an amplified stage.

ST

I don't need a perfect acoustic simulation. I would like to have a sound like I heard in the video; another colour on the palette. I could use it for an intro, pre-chorus, bridge, any kind of transition. It would be great to have another tool in the kit. And yes, I'd be happy to have the kind of sound for a straight acoustic song now and then.

Are you sure about that? AFAIK there's no quantitative limitation with morphing.
    Are you maybe referring to the number of effects that can be assigned to each Effect switches on the Remote? If this is the case, you can assign the status of up to 4 fx to each ;)

Hi pippopluto.

I didn't mean to suggest we are limited to two effects. I was trying to answer scottguitar's question which I took to mean, could he change two things at the same time.

Away from my manual. LOL This might be basic

Each preset can be pressed a second time to change the gain level, etc. But could it also turn on when of the effects? I.E. High gain preset pressed again to have a low gain tone with chorus?

Hey everyone, just bought my rack unit last week and absolutely love it. I wish I would have talked myself into it sooner. I see my tube amps being listed for sell in the near future. Cheers.

Welcome.

Hang on to your tube amps for a bit. Make some profiles of them, and then do that again after you get to know you Kemper and the profiling process better. You may find you end up with more, and better quality profiles.