Posts by Syre

Kemper has given us the gift of extremely realistic sounding amp sound in a 3U rack box with zero stage volume. These guys that are turning their cab sims off and pumping 600W into a 4X12 are refusing the keys to the kingdom. They are enslaved to an antiquated paradigm.

This concludes this episode of Dr. Lackey's "You're doing it wrong!" :D

I'm not enslaved to anything or anyone. Actually I'm free enough to use a cab even if the fanboys don't like me to ;)

I use my Kemper as a classic amp top, so what i need are direct amp profiles from the speaker output. I'm already overloaded with great studio profiles.
    So +1 for merged.

Could talk a lot of bla, but it's all in the forum. To make it short: My personal conclusion is that Kempers own powered rack is the best way to go. P.A. amps color the sound too much, tube power amps reduce the Kemper to a preamp, built in 3rd party amps can't use the power amp boost. Go with the solution Kemper offers to you for maximum compatibility.

[quote='Syre','http://www.kemper-amps.com/forum/index.php/Thread/19281-Direct-Profiling-Who-s-selling-their-amps/?postID=210791&#post210791']
    Something not right there? My powered kemper can blow any of my valve amps away through same cab or speaker. I've a couple of Boogies that are very loud and an original Marshall 2203 100W Superlead that is excessive and the kemper can drown them out.

Powered Kemper has 600 Watts and and a power amp boost. Camplifier is 360 watts and no power amp boost. That's quite a difference, especially the missing boost.
    If there's a problem, then it's in the Kemper software that puts out distorted signals weaker than clean ones. Cause as i said, crunch is loud enough and clean could blow my windows out. I doubt that Kemper service or Ritter amps would find anything wrong with my system.
    I have never seen a proof that a Kemper with a Camplifier 360 and 'direct amp profiles' can keep up to a real mesa on heavy duty and, knowing the difference between tube and solid state power from experience, i highly doubted it. Let's not be fanboys and face the truth: It takes a little more to blow a mesa out of the water than 360 class D watts and a weak preamp signal ;)

With the clean profiles i have: Yes.
    With the hi gain profiles i got up to now (Thumas, Deadlight, Sinmix), there's not enough power with my camplifier 360 and Marshall 1960AV. That's 2x180 watts into 2x8 Ohms. On room volume everything sounds nice but doesn't push. To keep up with my drummer i have to crank rigs to 3 o clock, KPA master to 10 of 10 and the camplifier to 9 of ten. Then it pushes. But doesn't sound nice anymore. So high gain 'direct amp profiles' don't seem to push out much level. Therefore we'll need loads of power to make it happen for high gain with a drummer and a real cab. Maybe Kempers own powerrack is enough. Does somebody know? Better would be more loudness in high gain profiles, so i can keep my camplifier, but i don't know if that can be done...
    Another thing is that amplifying a weak signal makes things noisy. So the high gain profiles i have are very touch sensitive and produce unwanted noise easily. They are hard to handle, not what i call a clear and direct metal bite.
    I'm gonna have to wait what future brings, but right now any 50 watts tube head i know could blow my Kemper away easily.
    On FOH or with studio monitors the KPA is still unbeatable, of course.

Guys?

The company does not sit around browsing this forum all day.

Why not?! Could be useful.
    Is this the official forum or some facebook group?! It's even more, it's actually the final beta testing division ;)
    For example: One look at the forum and it's countless bug reports could have prevented Firmware 3.0 from beeing elevated to release level and now officially ruining peoples speakers and totally not merging anything.

Direct Profiles (preamp only) have always used both the amp and cabinet blocks of the Stack section. They are intended to be used as is, into an amplifier and speaker cabinet.

Swapping in a Kemper cabinet couldn't provide results like a real amp with one of these profiles, because the sound of a preamp + a guitar cabinet + microphone would be missing the sound of an amplifier.

That's why i said Kemper hasn't thought about that yet. You are right, that's how the direct profiles were treated up to now. But, as with the direct amp profiles and studio profiles before, it is thinkable that in future you substract a direct profile from a direct amp profile and get seperate preamp/poweramp sections. You could even do that with the microphone part, if you find a way to profile the characteristics of a microphone. You could have the chain Stomps/Preamps/Poweramps/Cabs/Microphones all profiled from real and all freely combinable. Maybe we don't need all of that but that's the direction in which this new technology goes and men like toys ;)

Direct Profile = full amp without cab/mic

As i understand it, Bigtoe intended to make a preamp profile and called it direct profile, because that is the name that was used for that kind of profiles ever since the beginning on rig exchange. Profiles from the speaker out are called direct amp profile.

Direct Profile = Preamp profile. Some people use them with their guitar power amps. They exist next to full amp profiles. Taken from loop send/after preamp. The question if they should occupy just the amp section or the whole profile is something Kemper hasn't worked on yet, obviously, and therefore the process that tells cab and amp apart can't detect a preamp signal correctly. That's why the auto detect didn't work with Bigtoes profile and the cab section got occupied.

Direct Amp Profile = What Deadlightstudio spoke of: Profile from the speaker out that contains the full amp signal. Can be detected by the Kemper and automatically gets reduced to the amp section. At least that's how it should be.

I had that noise with a hight gain "direct amp profile" i made from my Peavey Classic 60/60 with Digitech GSP in Front (FW 2.3.3). The sound didn't build up like in Lasses sample, it came suddenly with hard strokes. But it sounded the same and was very loud, like if someone pushed the master to 10 within a second.
    It was one of two profiles i made with a Behringer Ultra-G. One was with -20db, one with -40db on the DI input. The -20 db profile started the behaviour when i added a noisegate in the stomp section. I deleted the profile. Since the noise can build up fast AND slow, i would suspect a noisegate or a compressor to be faulty somewhere. I wouldn't consider this a 3.0 problem. I read of someone else having it, too, before 3.0.
    Could be a rare case of built-in-noisegate and stompbox-noisegate conflict. As a programmer i would say: somewhere in the gate or compressor functions there's a loop running into infinity (aka max volume) instead of stoping at it's target point of compression/gating. Maybe a value from the stomp-noisegate overwrites a value from the other one, thus producing a false return value that misses the stop/exit criteria for the loop. Glad i won't have too search for it :P