Posts by theBox

Am I the only one here who sees some similarities with what the "space" option already did? Although this is of course much more detailed.

I've been trying some headphones with the space setting on 6 and it sounds decent. This might be somewhat of a solution. These headphones are regular Sony $30 at best buy, so I'm assuming getting a $120 pair like the ATX-50, or HD280's might sound even better.

Just bear in mind that the m50s are more bassy while the m40s are "tuned more flat". That's why I went with the 40s, not because of the small price difference.

Concerning "Space":
    I realized (and it was confirmed by the Kemper Team) that the Space effect leads to different volumes in the Main Outs!
    Some weeks ago my FOH realized during a gig that I have different volumes in the two Main Outs (I use some stereo effects)
    After searching the possible reason the Kemper team gave the solution: Space leads to this.
    Since this time, I don't use it anymore.

That may very well be the case, but here I'm talking about using the space effect solely when playing through headphones. Good to know anyway.

AS a "proud" appartment dweller, I will echo what many others have already said. Invest in a decent set of headphones (i'm more than happy with my ath-m40x) and for the love of god, do not underestimate the power of the SPACE effect in the master menu. I set mine at about 5-6 and I much prefer the tone I'm getting out of the headphones compared to my Focal alpha 50 monitors any day of the week. I don't know if other competing products have anything that resembles the space effect, but on the kemper (and given our living conditions) it is a LIFE SAVER.

I have the exact same issue. Profiles sound crisp and stellar through my ath m40x headphones but muddy as hell through my focal alpha50 monitors. I've come to the realisation that it's not the profiles fault but rather how the sound "fills the room" through the monitors vs how it's blasting straight to my eardrums when using speakers. It could also be a volume thing since the percieved loudness through the headphones is always greater than that of the level i'm playing through monitors. I find that when I crank the monitors way up (to guitar amp levels) SOME if not all of the mudiness disappears. Also, it could be that the monitors are too bright and not the other way round. I don't really know. As it stands I'm playing through headphones 99.9% of the time and my wife and dog are all the more happy for it. :)

Interesting thread, let's see what others have to say about it...

Ced, dude I think your are being way too picky. That last sample you posted sounds fantastic (as many others have already pointed out). YES it's more dull than the sound on "War of the roses" f.e. but not in a bad way,more like in a ... more "modern" kinda way. And it's miles ahead of the "No sign of glory" sound. I think you could even brighten the drum sound a little bit without sacrifising the guitar tone that is already there.

P.S. Out of curiosity, what did you use for the guitar sound on the previous two Blazon albums? Whas it real amps? Roses in particular sounds really good.

Right... this confirms my suspicion that with the same cab AND mic, every high gain amp sounds the same or if there is a difference, it is BARELY audible. In other words the cab/mic system contributes about 85% (to say the least) to the final sound. Now, I'm curious what happens with clean and mid gain/crunch sounds.

Nice job Sinmix!

I think I've bought most of them...While most are really good, I too gravitate towards the cillilab pack most of the times. At first they may sound a little too bright (depending on your setup), but If you back off a little highs and pressence, they are STELLAR!

Is there some way to know which profiles make up the "Just Play" pack if you ended up buying the "Full Pack". I liking having lots of profiles just in case but having some recommended ones on hand would be nice. Thanks!

This! I am very intrigued by what I'm hearing in the "just play" video (the effect settings also) , and I am considering buying the full pack as it has more value for money. BUT it would be a lot cooler if the "just play" pack was included AS IS in the full pack (meaning, with the same names of the profiles and the "custom FX". Is this the case?

Between the tonestack EQ and the stomp EQs, I think the Kemper is more thank adequate in that department. I should know...my previous modeler was a POD HD!!! (cringe)

While I condone the release of an editor, I would be more than contend with the guys adding a "browse cabs" function to the existing Rig Manager. But seriously Kemper personel, give us at least an "ain't gonna happen guys" so that we know where we are standing on the matter.

I would in turn recommend the audio technica ATH-M40x. I have them and they are beyond great. A little cheaper than the m50x's and to my understanding they are also "flatter". Meaning that the m50x's are more "bassy". That is not to say that the m40s lack bass...on the contrary....

Just a quick question directed at Korbiar : Are the profiles in your packs MERGED or are they standard STUDIO profiles done the OLD way? I'm aware that there are also DI profiles in these packs, but I was wondering about the ones you call "studio".

Best high gain profiles on the market ATM. I have the 2 EVH packs and the UBER pack and they frickin' SLAY. I had singled out HEARSE already from his free-profile days. Now it seems he's gotten even better. Way to go Korbiar!!!

Well, there's definitely a difference. The first set of sounds (A,C,E) sound a lot more round and scooped even, while the second set (B,D,F) sound more mid to upper-mid heavy. While I like the first set better, I can't say the second set is bad at all...just different. Now, as to which set is the Kemper...my guess is that it's the first set, although It is 95% guesswork and 5% an informed decision. Good job by the way!

I'm a little confused here.

You're using the wrong poweramp (tubes) and you're getting told to adjust the Space Parameter to make the poweramp/cab sound like the headphone tone? :)

How many guys here actually use a SS poweramp with their Kempers into a Cabinet or the built in Class D Kemper poweramp?

Guitartone, i get the feeling that you COMPLETELY misunderstood my post. ;)

edit: It must have been my fault though, cause I wrote "speaker" instead of "headphones". Sorry, I corrected it.

I'm surprised noone has yet mentioned the "space"parameter that is most probably ON when hearing through the headphones. If that is the case, then comparing the headphones out to the main out may be a loosing battle as ,you know, the space effect makes the sound sort of..."dual tracked" which in most cases will seem to sound better.