Posts by theplayer

I've noticed than many profilers like to crank the level (in the stack section) very high - probably to give a false impression of "sounding better" - and it's creating kind of volume war between profilers similar to what we saw in the field of pro audio. It's a bad habit that needs to be stopped for the reason you mention for one (ie. many acoustic rigs have no way to match some distorted ones). I often end up lowering that stack level variable for all profiles of a seller by a fixed 3-4 Db and compensate with giving more in the mains out. However, a rookie mistake is to have louder clean sounds than distorted because when you set them up, you adjusted them to be the same: they usually have to be much lower in the first place because of the context they are usually used in. That balance is a complex thing that takes a while to get right: when you think you have it right, record your gig and check again.

Unfortunately, sometimes I'm one fo them too.... because of the much too low volume of the (rig manager) profile: clean or distorted! If the clean/distorted sense can solve this problem, then I know what to do from now on...!

I check the input volume for each slot in my performances while the Kemper is connected to a DAW (in my case Logic).

Every slot reaches a max of -18db and I try to match the min volume as well (using rig volume).

That way I’m sure that all my slots are equally as loud.

It’s really not that complicated and the results are good :-).

OK. Thanks. I will go for that too.

You use Rig volume for that. I always kept in mind that Rig volume should not pass 0 Db. So I keep this always at 12 o'clock and don't dial beyond this point. Wrong thinking...?

Nope, as I said the power amp is just for the red power amp out on the back of the Kemper.

I guess, you bought the "wrong" product. For you the unpowered KPA would had been sufficient.

My Powered Kemper is from 2014. Indeed I used the red speaker jack on the back a lot, but since rehearsals without a backline are much friendiler for your ears I use the mixer. much easier to control volume with in ear. (throughout the years I've lost some frequencies during loud rehearsals and on stage with 50/60 gigs a year...).

So definitely not the wrong product for me.

To clarify: you only need the power amp to play over a passive cabinet box (the red output on the back of the Kemper, right above).

The two monitor outputs are passive.

Yes but I don't need a passive cabinet. At home I always play through my mixer and the studio monitors or directly to headphones. The Monitor Output and Direct Output are only for stereo fx reasons. In live situations I do the same : directly to FOH.

Seems like the OP doesn’t use a passive cab.

In good practice (to save energy) I'd switch the poweramp off then.

Hi Ingolf, Good suggestion for rehearsing at home!

But when checked for live situationsn , does this mean that increased Power amp will come on top of volume settings of Direct Output and Monitor Output?

Yes, I know it can be turned off. But why be able to check or uncheck. I rehearse also in my study and the Monitor Output and the Direct Output of my powered Kemper go straight into two inputs of a 6-channel mixer which is connected to two 100W studio monitors . Also a Behringer UCA 202 is connected to my computer. I connect headphones to the mixer and can paly along with MP4 or Mp3 and even for recording. No bother with check or uncheck Power amp...!

But for live it's maybe another story... should I check or uncheck Power amp for live situations and what is the advantage or disadvantage?

Hi Craig F, IngoRockt, Hoki Toki, JedMckenna and BrentKer.

I will try all your contributions. Thank you all!

And Brentker, I also have a DAW (Adobe Audition) Can you explain how you level volumes with a DAW for matching volumes? Is there a kind of manual for this?

I have spent quite some time looking in de manual 7.0 to find settings about Power amp and according link (page 7/7 in the Output menu) but can't find anything about it. What are the best settings in this section ?

I have a powered Profiler so I wonder what is the use of having the link Powered amp uncheked. This is confusing.

I'm many times struggling to get a clean sound that can compete in volume with a distorted sound. When I use a profile with a distorted profile for the intro or lead solo and have to change to a clean one (with another clean profile), then there's always a big gap in volume. What I do then is getting to the amp section en try a whole lot of other clean amps, add a booster to them etc but I'm always lack of a decent according volume. That is always much to low. in relation to the previous one.

My powered profiler contains more than 900 profiles (with many clean ones among them) to choose from for the clean part of a song, but it's very difficult to find one that can match , even with my volume pedal to the max. So this is not workable in many cases on stage. I should be able to increase or decrease clean volume with my volume pedal

So what I do wrong here..? Anyone recognize this?

I'm in two bands with each a different nummer of songs. I wonder if it's possible to use for each of them a usb- stick with the profiles for that band. I must add that I don't have a Kemper Remote but use a Roland MK II midi footcontroller to which I always have been assigning profiles to my powered Kemper. So what happens with midi assigned profiles from one usb stick when changing to another usb stick with other profilles.

Also I like to add that I'm always have been in Browser mode...

I have formatted a usb and have put a number of cabs in a folder on it. I put the stick into my powered Profiler and then I get the message: the usb needs to be formatted. So I confirm this with YES. At that moment the Profiler doesn't react anymore and I have to shut down the whole amp, hoping that this doesn't affect all of my profiles. This is not the case so I repeat thhis procedure. The same result with shutting down theProfiler. What is wrong here...?

Amazing-according to our developers the 2.3 version of the Rig Manager requires a 7 version of the PROFILER OS. The correct combination for your application is 6.0 Release and 2.1.76 RM release.

What's happening here...? So my Rig Manager which has version V2.3.9.14935 should not suppose to be working under OS 6.0.0 ? But it does though. Do I understand this right and should I still downgrade R.M.?

Hi Kemper Support #1,

Thank you for your reaction.

I don't know if I understand correctly what you mean here.

After downgrading my profiler to the previous O.S release for my Powerhead (6.0.0.) everything now works fine again, including my Rig Manager which has version V2.3.9.14935. ( is this the right combination?)

Or should I downgrade my Rig Manager version now too to 2.1.76, for (mayby) even better communication with my Profiler which now is operating under 6.0.0.

For the Head/Rack there are perfectly stable release versions available, so no reason to use a beta version in critical applications.

Yes, there are! BUT NO NEW STABLE versions to where pop up messages refer like in Rig Manager. That was the only reason I updated my OS because of RM. I wonder where you have seen a new stable version...!

Wish I had never done that! I'm back now to my OLD OS now and only that one works fine.

That's why it's a beta version... sigh...

Don't use it when you have an important gig. Beta versions exist for this very reason, to be able to find these kind of bugs.

What the use of it if it's no good? Why release it with bugs and send it to the world...? That makes no sense for the public.

I finally found out what is wrong. It's the new Beta 7.0.5..... update.

The problems came for me at a seriously wrong moment, just before a gig! Let me explain.

Every time I assigned a couple of songs in the right order to a midi number on my midi board. But when turning the Profiler off and back on, every song under its corresponding midi number had been replaced by another song. So nothing had been saved actually. I tried this several times, thinking I was going mad after a while. But every time I kept on getting other songs under right chosen and saved midi assigns.

And another problem came with it. Scrolling with the Browse knob (alfabetical) for following rigs was no more possible! There was nothing wrong with my midi board! So it had to be the Profiler itself!! Then it came to me that it had to be that update version, causing all this, because never before these problems occured!

So I downgraded to my previous version from May 5 and YES! after installing everything went fine again. I will never upgrade again with a Beta version. It causes a lot of trouble and frustration! I advise anyone to leave these kind of "upgrades".

It's bad that no one from Kemper warned for this really annoying bug!

Hi Wherestthedug,

I'm lost here. Can't get it done. The problem is that my profiler doesn't save the assigned midinumber for the song. If I save that song for number 1 and shut the profiler off and turn it on again, then he comes up with number 13 for that song and has put another song on that number 1. Completely irrational. I took another midi cable but the same result.

Never had this problem before...that is: before updating to BETA 7.0.5.14.... yesterday! So the only logical explanation is that this problem is caused by this new OS version...!