Posts by theplayer

Browser is always set to name. Because I made extra room for some new profiles (by deleting some) I expected it would be no problem to add three. And if you then see that the profiler tells me that the profiles all allready there (which isn't so!) then I'm confused.

So I tried several times again and only now they are imported. Strange behaviour.

I wanted to listen to some new profiles so I took my USB with and older shared folder and empty that. Next I unzipped the rigs folder on my computer with the new rigs folder and put it on my desktop. I copied this folder to the USB on my computer and put it into the Shared folder. Next I put the USB in my profiler and pressed Import. A very short message came up: "No import necessary, the rigs are allready in the Browse pool." I checked this! Also in RM. No way. Nothing to find.

So I formatted the whole USB on the profiler and went to the whole process again. Same result. No new profiles to be found!

And we're talkin about only 3 profiles! Where are they?

Thanks to you all. I know now how to deal with it. I tried this and I get a very clear signal IEM, no radio quality but I guess that's because of Sennheiser ...

Yes, I understand now that you both are so right. All I need to do is go from my Kemper main outs to two inputs on the mixing desk (this is allready stereo and can I balance with the l+r on both channels) And I just would need one AUX OUT on the mixing desk and on that mixing desk I would balance all other aux for instruments and voices (l+r as well as volume) to my IEM, being my monitor mix. Right?

So Kemper stays out for any adjustments or other routings.

Yes, I use this setup exclusively for practice from a headphone output to stereo 1/4" right and left adapters. Plug the adapters into Return Input and Alt Input on back of Kemper. Then in Kemper settings, mix in the "Aux In" level for whatever output you're using. This is in Page 6 of Output Menu ("Aux In > Main", "Aux In > Monitor" , etc)

If you mean the headphones output on the mixing desk then the instrument and voice mixing on every AUX channel for your in ear is not possible, right? Therefore I was aiming at an AUX-OUT on the mixing desk which makes this possible. Two of all inputs on that mixing desk are coming from my Kemper's main outs. So I like to have my guitar coming stereo in my in ear and combine this with every personal setting of all instruments and voices through every AUX on every mixing channel in use. This should result in a personal perfectly balanced monitor sound for my in ears. But how does Kemper fit in this construction and how to achieve that? I hope it's obvious what I write here...

In my band they are planning to play with IEM too, but wireless. So I must take that step too.

For this I have a Sennheiser EW 300 IEM G3.

I've read somewehere that it's possible to receive a stereo signal through my IEM, coming from the mixing desk using the monitor mix (or Aux out) on the mixing desk if you connect things right on a powered kemper. It's about using the return and Alternative IN as stereo aux IN on the kemper's rear.

I have read both the main and the reference manual but with these it's a hell of a job to work this out on the kemper. Can anyone explain how this is done?

I did a backup of all my rigs, not via an USB but through RM. They are directly saved on an external drive. It looks like this https://ibb.co/FYFBq4H

It's not a folder but a ZIP-file . After unzipping you get a number of folders which contain files with a .db extension. So you can't see the rigs.

Is it only possible to restore the whole backup totally or is there a way to restore just parts or certain rigs to the kpa? The aim is to build sets for different rigs on the computer. This way you could fill the kpa for just a specific songlist for just the gig to come.

Or am I thinking the wrong way and is only performance mode the answer? (BTW, my computer can store more than the kpa)

I have been studying all your useful tips, suggestions and recommendations. Every time it's clear to me a lot of you have a profound theoretical background knowledge, so I take a deep bow for you. You all are great to learn from and have a good sense of humour as well. What an awesome combination!

And I learned a lot here in the past years. So it can't be said enough: Thank you!

Anyway it's seems obvious that I have chosen the wrong clean profiles or at least use them in a wrong way. One of your useful tips is to reduce output level on my guitar. So this indeed results in decreasing level meters on the mixing desk. Still I can increase volume with the faders, without clipping.

I took also the liberty to seek for other clean profiles and found several others which are better and even without clipping, and also with the addition of fx. For this I will keep in mind how to control exessive volume increase when use fx.

The problem occured just with the mixing desk (so without the use of my cab) and I believe I can solve that now. As for my cab. That can still go loud and though it's not to control for any clipping there, the mixing desk instead will function for my as a reference for keeping everything nice within the green section.

How's your KPA connected to the mixing desk? XLR? If yes keep in mind that some mixing desks automatically engage mic preamps when seeing XLR. This can drive the desk easily into the red zone (audio interfaces as well btw). Try TS cables instead.

Hi Kempermaniac. Connection by two TS cables from main outs into two inputs. My cab though can go loud but of course it can not show clipping.

You're right when you say that there must be something wrong but I can't put my finger on it. I've learned that about -12 dB is perfect for main volume setting so I leave it there. One way or the other: the mixing desk receives a much to high guitar signal, even when the channel gain on the mixing desk is set all the way down, to -10 dB.

You also experienced that a numer of clean profiles are badly clipping so these are no good. So it's digging into RM to find good ones...

Still a good clean profile should have more than enough headroom (volume) without clipping for the rhythm part to compete with a solo part in a song. Otherwise you'll end up with a big volume gap between these two during playing. Balance is the keyword here, with a slight volume increase for that solo part. This means that there has to be room left for pressing a volume pedal to toe position for this.

That's why my volume pedal is set to 2.3 on heel position for rhythm . But my volume pot is set to the max.

Keeping my volume pot around 5 to stay clean (without clipping) decreases volume even more or am I wrong here..?

It seems like a large part of the problem is the profiles themselves.

That might be the problem. I'm gonna try a bunch of other profiles in the Factory, as you suggested. And of course also those two you mention. BTW this is that MARK V profile I used : https://ibb.co/KDZrvWN

I know now that clean is not always clean. But for a number of songs I just want a clean sound without any distortion and also any volume as I please to stand up next to a solo or band volume, like in this small clip. https://soundcloud.com/theplayer-3/clean

I took my old dusty Line 6 VETTA head with my 4*12 Line 6 cab from the attic and tried this again, using the same cables: LOUD (!) in stereo and practically no clipping. Comparing this amp to my KPA it's best to use an old phrase in that old song HELP from the Beatles, with a small variant : My KPA seems to vanish in the haze....

I tried these clean rigs from RM, especially chosen because they pretend to be clean.

Hiwatt DR 103 1972 (gets clipping in orange)

Ampeg J20 Clean (clips also a bit)

DP 1967 Vibrolux Clean (no clipping, but also no volume...)

DP Bad Kitty Clean (clips a bit)

MESA MARK V Clean (with chorus) right output without clipping but..

All of these rigs I play in my study and with my volume pedal to toe, rig volume at 0 dB, mixing desk channel gain at 15 dB and fader at 0 dB, mixing master volume at almost 0 dB, I can start a discussion without any problem! BTW I have two 100 W KRK Rokit 6 studio monitors connected to the mixing desk. My cab is turned off.

I would expect that I would run from here because of the loudness. None whatsoever.

I fear the next gig.

I use a Standard |Les Paul. No strange things: main input - standard TS - cry baby , no pre-amp. What kind of hardware issue are you thinking about? It happens more that have trouble with volume but it could be me or chosen rig.

Something is definitely wrong here.

If the input light is going red as well as the output then it should pretty much rule out the profile itself as being the problem.

Did you say that this only happens with one profile though? Are all the others working OK or are you having this problem all the time?

What is the signal chain going into the KPA. Is it just Guitar (what pickups) into Main Input using a standard TS cable or do you have any pedals or a wireless in front of the KPA? Are you using a guitar with active pickups and/or onboard pre-amp?

If there is nothing between the guitar and KPA I think it might be time to raise a ticket with Kemper support as it sounds like you could have a hardware issue.

Both turn in to red. I've shut all fx sections, clean sense at 0.0, dist. sense at 0.0., amp vol. at 0.0. Gain on mixing desk at 0.0 (!) and still way up in orange zone. Monitor and Main outputs at -12 db. Now there's almost no volume left...(seems common problem) with master faders on mixing desk about -30 dB.

OL.That reassuring. But why backup if there are no worries. Still for reasons of "in case of? "

I'm gonna read the manual for the performance mode and watch videos for this subject.