Posts by theplayer

There are so many rigs in RM but still I don't seem to get a good rig for It's a kind of Magic from Queen. And I really tried a lot. Many of them sound scratchy and TMHO it should sound like a smooth overdrive. Perhaps it has something to do with the Les Paul I use it for. (I don't own a BM Red Special for this song). Any one to nail this song (incl. the solo) with a really close coming rig for an LP?

No worry guys! As I wrote, it's very onconventional. I know, but it works fine for now: Just a good sounding clean rig and the same for the next rig but with an increased gain en higher volume setting. Whether I have to push a switch on a remote to add distortion to a

clean rig or pushing a switch on my FC 200 for a second rig with distortion makes no difference IMHO.

The reason of posponing the other way around is that I can't afford any trouble on stage with the band if I jump now into the unknown ...Really, it works fine on stage the way it is...!

But I surely will cross this border if I'm more familiar with this. Wheresthedug and V8guitar: your explanation and contribution about this will help a lot. For now: many roads lead to Rome... I took one road but will take a highway in time.

For now I increase Monitor out ( in Output) for both rigs. And then I decrease Volume for rhythm for one rig and increase solo Volume for the other, leaving both for more headroom with the volume pedal to control. I guess this is a good option.

I am a bit confused. Did you say you have a different rig for solo's ? Why do you need the volume pedal then? Just set it at a higher volume.

Yes you're right. I have been working with my FC-200 since 2010. When I bought my Kemper (2014) I could that use that too for midi purposes. At that time there weren't morphing options. So I'm used to what I have. And turning everything upside down now is not my option.

Also it's not an option to turn up the volume after a clean verse and expect a distortion during solo. That's why I use 2 rigs...May be very unconventional but it works for me. Also I know I have to turn to Performance mode, but I have posponed this for a long time....

OK. So the other way around...If I understand you correctly, what about this as a nother way of working:

Like my main output for FOH (within Master Output) which is set to about -12 dB, I now also use this max volume range for Monitor output. With this I mean the 12 o'clock position

This would hopefully would need to decrease the volume control for the rig, (the rhythm part) and leaving enough room left to increase this for the solo part, with a max to 0 dB (12 o'clock position) And then save both rigs for that particularly volume setting.

Is this the right manner to get a substantial difference in volume, to control also with the volume pedal?

OK Wherestug. You and of course also the rest of the gang deserve points for what I allready have done (!) but now clearly explained in words! Thanks !

Before all this I allready figured out what the best option for me was and therefor I had it set to Post Stack, meaning volume control to the last in the chain, right?

Back to my topic start. Is having a pure booster in my solo rig the only (if not the best) option to raise volume for that purpose. I tried this but the output led protested in red... Is this due to the chosen amp module? It's not an option to look in 17337 rigs in RM to look for an amp module with enough volume power of its own (and not show red led) for use as a solo sound.

And you all are right at this point: Only one rig in the gig is enough for this purpose ...

No P98 in the full reference manual has full details about the settings. What manual do ypu have?

I have The Deeper View & Reference Manual 5.l (and I see now that that this version is old...) OK...you have to keep up with all this...so it's version 5.5. now, page 98) This show the same diagram what I have found

I'm very sorry but still I don't know what Luntho writes: "input=before A module, prestack= after D module...and so on"

My pedal is on my midi board and this is only connected through midi IN on the Kemper.

Can someone explain this?

I never change volumes to switch between rhythm and solo but change EQ instead (more mid, less high/low).

I wonder how you manage that during a live gig...

Thsi is why I use a different profile which is eq'ed in a differnet way. When I boost for riffs I change eq as well as volume, via morph, so with ya on that!

Yes, that is what I also do, but as previously written...with the help of the volume pedal on the FC 200 which in my case is not set in the right chain

input=before A module, prestack= after D module...and so on

OK. I have set this to pre stack ( BW this results in no audible difference!)

But is still confusing to me. What is the Ref. Man. talking about then...? Where is that on the Kemper?

https://ibb.co/dRd8fLUPDATE...

In response to your specific question about volume pedal position; rather than try typing out the details on iPad I would refer you to pagr 98 of the Reference manual. It will explain the details much better than I can. Any problems though let me know.

Page 98 belongs to a section which is is dedicated to Stomps and Effects. I guess you mean page 68. Indeed it's about the Volume Pedal Function. But I can't find it on the Kemper!

The RM says this: https://ibb.co/dRd8fL

But in Volume Pedal Settings (in RIG) the Kemper shows only these options: Input - Pre stack - Post stack and Output

https://ibb.co/iuV770

Am I looking in the wrong direction?

Before you set anything up, rethink what it is you really need for the songs you have. I used to go as far as running through the songs and listing what sounds I need. That makes programming easier as you will probably find its not as complex as you think or that you can easily simplify once you "see" it.

Yes, I'm always doing that. OK, it's not necessary to have tons of different rigs but I like to nail the sound of the song. Otherwise I didn't have to buy me a Kemper and could do with just one heavy Marshall or even heavier Mesa. But still it can be hard to program that right sound...even with the Kemper.

Wheresthedug, thanks for your tip. I'll go from there!

So what I understand of this is that you get an even substantial better sounding Kemper if you would firstly connect the two main outs of a powered Kemper to two inputs of a mixing desk and go from there to two inputs of a stereo guitar cab.

Am I right?

I like to add this: I tried this some time ago : connect unpowered Monitor out and unpowered Direct out of the Kemper to two inputs of a powered mixer (in my case an Allan & Heath Zed fx 22 channel mixing desk) Yes! Two inputs because this way you can benefit the stereo fx within the Kemper. Then from the mixing desk's two outputs to two powered cabinets (in my case two fabulous sounding QSR K 8 cabinets) and listen....!

But there's no need for a 22- channel mixing desk. I guess something like this will do nicely too...https://www.allen-heath.com/ahproducts/zed-6fx/

Of course you all are so right. But I started from scratch using the Roland and browser mode. Always kept me going. But now I'm running into problems as described.

I will change to Performance mode en figure out how this works. And buying a pair of momentary switches is also a good thing.

What now puzzles me is that I obviously have set the volume pedal in the wrong chain. How can there be another way than the setting in RIG - Volume Pedal Setting - Range?

Where is that option after the stack? And as Wheresthedug mentioned: at the end of the chain is no option. So it has to be somewhere after the stack....but where?

To start with I don't use a different patch per song for this reason, then I'm only managing 5 rigs per band. I change performances per band or guitar

I use 5 slots in performance, 1 for clean, 1 for warm clean 1 for rhythm and 1 for solo with stomps for specific effect ( I leave wah on but have it set for touch).

I also use morph as an additional boost/change to both volume and eq.

There is allready the problem. I don't use the performance mode or morphs but rather the unconventional methode like the browser.

I don't have the remote with assigns to fx etc. For a long time now I assign a tweaked rig through midi to a switch on my Roland 200 and would have to think and play completely in another direction to change this...

And yes, I use the volume pedal on the Roland to change volumes, but it isn't quite satisfying.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/fc-200/

Within my Kemper powerhead I have set the volumepedal of my Roland FC 200 to a rhythm volume (heel) and a leadvolume (toe). But it happens more than once that my lead volume is too low and can't cut through the mix. Raising the master volume at that moment is no option and making a greater interval between rhythm and lead (within Rig at Volume Range) is also is not desirable because both ranges differ too little from each other. Also my rhythm part would need clean at that moment. That's why I need always two rigs: one for rhythm and a second for lead. I control this through midi on my FC 200 but on the pedal I need 2 switches for this. So in the worst case I need 20 switches for 10 songs..... With 50 songs my pedal is full....

I wonder how you guys do that: a substantial raised and controlable amount of lead volume during solo and still preserve your lead sound. Even when it's set loud and I try to lower this then with my volume pedal it loses gain drive and character, so my drive gets a bit lost but still to heavy if I need a chorused verse sound....

Hopefully it's clear what I'm looking for...

I switch between a Dunlop cry baby as an external wah pedal and a Boss FV 500-H expression pedal. For this last one I use only one wah fx from the Kemper and that's Frank Eltze's version.

But I guess any good expression pedal with this wah fx will do the job...good luck!

I'm sorry guys for my delay in answering. I've been out for some days. I studied on all tributes and suggestions and surely will try them except for the Big Muff. The only thing that's left for me from the seventies is a real EH Electric Mistress with original adaptor...

Thanks for all replies! I have a lot of homework now...

Hi guys, Like the title says: What is the best way to achieve a clear clean smooth tone with lots of sustain, besides a compressor? Distortions and even profiles with lots of gain give mostly a kind of cracking sound. To avoid this I turn my treble knob on my Les Paul all the way down. That leaves the gain but in a smoother way. But at the same time it sounds darker. So then it's back to the Kemper to increase treble but I guess there are other ways... (Or do I really need an original Les Paul '59 for this... ? :) )

I wonder what tricks inside the Kemper can help.