Posts by theplayer

I switch between a Dunlop cry baby as an external wah pedal and a Boss FV 500-H expression pedal. For this last one I use only one wah fx from the Kemper and that's Frank Eltze's version.

But I guess any good expression pedal with this wah fx will do the job...good luck!

I'm sorry guys for my delay in answering. I've been out for some days. I studied on all tributes and suggestions and surely will try them except for the Big Muff. The only thing that's left for me from the seventies is a real EH Electric Mistress with original adaptor...

Thanks for all replies! I have a lot of homework now...

Hi guys, Like the title says: What is the best way to achieve a clear clean smooth tone with lots of sustain, besides a compressor? Distortions and even profiles with lots of gain give mostly a kind of cracking sound. To avoid this I turn my treble knob on my Les Paul all the way down. That leaves the gain but in a smoother way. But at the same time it sounds darker. So then it's back to the Kemper to increase treble but I guess there are other ways... (Or do I really need an original Les Paul '59 for this... ? :) )

I wonder what tricks inside the Kemper can help.

I see that I'm corresponding with some really pros in understanding musical theory... Nice competition guys...! There's a whole area in front of me to discover... the love for music is mutual!

Again I learn something new now from you! Thanks. As you suggested: working around this fx and experimenting with it will surely lead to more insight of how this it works. The manual can't beat this...

Hi everyone. GOOD NEWS!

In experimenting and dialing knobs (like a headless chicken) I came up with something completely different now. It came out that I have been struggling on the wrong side of the Kemper: the left stomp block. I noticed only now that the Harmonist fx in the X section looks quite different from the rest. Wherestedug, you took me to the right place: this X-section .

Anyway. It turns out now that I finally found my right Harmonist fx. I can't thank you all enough! And right in time for needing it for playing in the band.

Here's the screenshot where I I found it by tweaking and tweaking until I got the right interval. Therefore I need to play it now somewhere else on the fretboard. I can't figure out why but it surely wil have to do with the scale. I start now on the second tone in my previous example, so at B12. But it sounds perfect in any way! WOW!

">[Blocked Image: https://www.imgdumper.nl/uploads9/5bd79f2f929c3/5bd79f2f8b1c9-Harmonist.jpg]

Here's what I now can play on just one string and WITH bending. https://soundcloud.com/theplay…eal-harmony-on-one-string

Good luck and remember to report back and let us know how you get on experimenting with the harmoniser.

I sure will do thatl!

I would suggest not to play this 2-tone solo at all with a harmonizer but with a technique called "doublestop" (I don't know if that's really the name but Hank Marvin once used this term in an interview).

But here is something tricky, that you don't have Bendings or a Slide over 2 sides but always only one side.

Tried to write it down as TAB (notes also to see the timing)

I hope I have succeeded to some extent, because Finale does not have its strengths exactly with tablature production.

Hi Sharry, I know what you mean. There are many examples of doublestops on video on youtube and in the past I used this technique many times in songs. I have never problems to play them over a length of the fretboard within the scale and then I mean the intervals . But this solo is something different. You're right about bending. That's not possible in my situation. So I guess I have to study hard on the harmonics and the scales, as Wherestedug suggests... Thanks anyway!

It goes pretty automatically.

Thanks ToneDeaf. English, German and French are always standard school subjects here, as you probably know. I'm a Dutch teacher in grammar and a teacher in juridical language proficiency at the Police Academy. Writing in English is just a matter of interest and remember what you hear and read (and I read and hear a lot..) and always look up what you're still missing in your vocabulary and then use it in talking or writing.

I definitely will experiment with the Kemper Harmonic pitch effect and see what I can achieve with it. And I will follow your tip about reading simple explanations about scales. This kind of stuff is a big gap in my musical performance, a kind of abracadabra...which I always tried to avoid...

CU soon again

Firstly....thank you all for your kind words about my English. Learning and having interest do the trick.

But our Kemper friends in Germany are even better than me. They not only write the best in the English language but are also masters in understanding Kemper. So I still have a lot to learn..!

Wheresthug and Locrain, thank you so much for your explanations and examples. I appreciate very much. I'll figure this out on my Kemper and get back to you for the results. I guess with this I can contribute to people who also struggle with this matter, like me.

To be continued...

Yes the key of A major has 3 minor chords Bmin, C#min and F#min plus G#dim along with A maj, Dmaj and E7. However, the scale for solos often isn’t a straight major scale. Sometimes you find A pentatonic or A Dorian or A Mixolodian being used for a solo in a Major key with the “wrong” notes giving it tensing or bluesyness. You just need to figure out what the harmonies are and choose the right scale.

Wheresthedug: Your contribution is really great, but you're losing me at this point, unfortunately. I'm totally not familiar with this stuff. I'm just a listening by ear and autodidact playing guy....without theoretical knowledge in this matter. I only know chords and can't tell anything about scales .

There is a really good thread on how to use user scales, you could see if that (User scale) could work for the minor / major chords in your case:

Tutorial: Creating User Scales for the Harmonic Pitch effect

Too early for me to start making noise but will check if the key scale knob really does not do anything for me either.

ToneDeaf: I owe you also for your reply but I don't understand the matter (BTW it's all in English and that's an extra handicap in reading and understanding this technical stuff for someone like me from The Netherlands...)

So I studied videos of demonstrating a Boss PS-6 Harmonist Pitch Shifter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzpXFHqujfY In this video it's clear to me that I indeed have to pick a key first and after that set for a minor or major scale.

But how to determine that? I would love to learn this. So we're talking about the song If you can't give me love from Suzie Quattro. This song is in the key of A major (right?) I start with my solo: B15 to17 then B14 to again 15-17 The second harmony

is B12-14 then B10 and again B12 -14

The interval is 3 semitones (right?)

How to set this in Kemper's Harmony stomp?

The song is definitely in the key of A major (but there are some chords in minor in the song). So the milion $ question is: how do you achieve to sound like that with only one guitar like I showed? I tried with the chromatic pitch but can't find the combination.

And about that important Key scale knob in Harmonic pitch...you can dial whatever you want with the Key knob but that changes nothing in the sound whatsoever. Really every dialing sounds alike.

Nope...I delved into this matter but it leads me nowhere. I don't understand the key of the song here. I just want two tones for playing a solo. IMHO this has nothing to do with the key of a song.

I recorded this example, but had to do this twice: first solo one and on top of that the second one (3 tones lower!)

I don't have a second guitar player on stage so I have to play this on my own. Can Kemper achieve this and if so: how?

https://soundcloud.com/theplayer-3/two-tone-solo

Normally you can set the transpose function in the fx-section for using another tuning. Of course this is visible in the screen when activated. But some time ago I came across another way to set the transpose fx for use in a rig. Unfortunately this setting is not visible in the rig-screen. And now I'm in trouble. I have a TRP done this way in one of my rigs but can't remember when I have found this option. So I can't delete it...

Anyone for help...?