Posts by mwinter77

I just ran into the oddest thing with my Profiler and Remote. I have about 50 rigs stored in my profiler and I switched rigs and then went to the rig menu page 5 (last one) where you can assign the stomps to the remote and assigned some of the stomps there.

When I either just push 'store' to auto assign, or assign them individually they would show on my remote as assigned correctly (LED lit up as expected) but pushing the stomp button on the remote would not toggle the state on and off. If I toggled the state on the profiler the remote would show the state change but would not itself initiate the state change.

I tried this by selecting a few different rigs from the remote using the rig assign page and got the exact same results. I next manually (press button remote and press effect button on profiler) added another effect to one of the already assigned remote buttons and then pressing the effect switch on the remote would properly toggle the second effect I just assigned but the first previously assigned effect assigned from the rig menu still would not toggle.

I again tried this with several different rigs I have stored and they all acted the same with the assign from the rig menu page. I then fired up RM and 'previewed' a rig from my library and did the same auto assign and voila - it started to toggle each effect as it should. I then used the remote to switch back to one of my rigs I had previously setup with assign from the rig page that wasn't working as described and it suddenly started to toggle as it should from the remote. I changed nothing other than loading a preview from RM first and then switching to the rig as I had done previously and using the auto-assign it all suddenly started working as it should.

Very odd and frustration why this would not work correctly and then mysteriously start working just because I did the preview from RM first which for whatever odd reason made this start working again.

I'll add more if this starts doing the same thing once I reboot and start over again.

I have shutdown and restarted and everything is still working correctly now so I guess it was just some odd thing that cleared up once a rig was loaded from RM instead of from the profiler.

Profiles cost a fraction and don't clutter up your home.

Yes, but they do start to clutter up your mind! I have slowly managed to get to hundreds of really great profiles of vastly differing tone but now I can't remember what is what or where to find it as there are just too many in my library now. I started using favorite tags and folders by type (clean, breakup, dist etc) but still find myself "mentally" buried by the shear volume of what I now have to choose from. I must admit it was way easier to pick a tone and play when I had only 40-50 great profiles! But I suppose I would not have the 10-15 I keep playing all the time if it weren't for trying the hundreds.

Exactly. Uniformititty / conformititty is the way to go here. "One procedure to rule them all" would be fantastic in an ideal world.

Come to think of it, it'd be awesome in any world for that matter.

Yes and it should not require additional hardware and expense! The one way should be soft key with hardware signature and online validation every so often. Simple, effective, user friendly, no cost, easily backed-up - beat that!

That £30 iLok 2 buyin has meant that everyone who has had a Slate plugin for the last 3 years+ has had to actually buy it. Perhaps that's why they can afford to constantly have very attractive sales - they've made their money in the way that was intended - without piracy getting in the way.

I think my only point is that you can secure software just as well as ilok using methods that don't cost the end user and don't take up valuable ports on your machine. In my experience software is equally protected using an unfriendly system like the ilok versus one of the other more user friendly software activation schemes available. It's pretty well proven in the industry that you can protect software equally well using other methods and using the ilok is simply a choice by the developer that has the side effect of costing the end user extra $$ and being a bit of a pain to deal with.

let me just add my private 2%. i've recently migrated a music workstation with hundreds of plug-ins to a new computer hardware by restoring a system drive image. that took about 60 minutes. the task that took two additional evenings was going though an endless list of plug-ins to re-enter the respective serial numbers (and find it first!). all the ilok license based products just continued to work.
    it might be considered old fashion to use a physical "wallet" for you digital purchases but it is convenient. in the event of a hardware related problem it is the fastest way to get back in the game.
    gs

While I can appreciate this point, I will also say that (for me) this is not worth it as I migrate workstations only every few years usually and I use my software everyday once installed. I am always struggling for 'good' (non-hub) USB ports on my DAW and losing one full-time to licensing is nuts to me and not a good trade off for the occasional DAW rebuild - plus the $'s for the dongles too. Also if you have a home studio and work studio along with a laptop it can really be a pain with the dongle. Plus I keep all my licenses in a DB file so re-entering them is a snap with cut/past.

I won't use any software that requires a dongle key period. There are enough good ways to address this issue in a consumer friendly manner that this is simply stupid and outdated at this point. They do it partly because it is a buisness model of getting money from people for it more than the security at this point. Online validated and periodically checked software with keys works well enough for the entire rest of the software industry. You have everything from top end music production software like Ableton Live to 100 Million dollar game franchises sold through Steam, MS Office and such and many other valuable software products successfully protected this way and clearly it works at least as well as the stupid 1990's dongle method.

So for me you use a dongle you are automatically excluded from any possible purchase by myself period.There is simply no excuse for using such an antiquated and totally non--customer friendly method to authorize and protect software at this point in time. So as far as I'm concerned any company still doing this is immediately making it clear that they are not a current 2015 company and have old outdated thinking in at least one part of their current software system.

Stick to angry birds on the iPad and get a surface pro for the serious work;)

+1

Just got myself a Surface Pro 4 i5 w/ 8GB ram and 256 SSD and whoa this thing kicks ass! I have an ipad air and an ipad pro (I'm tech professional by day so need to have everything) and I can tell you that my surface pro just kills my ipad's for this type of music production work. I have RM on it and it is AWESOME!! Tablet format running everything including Ableton Live 9 , IK Sample Tank 3, and band in a box along with many other things and RM too.. try and do any of that on an ipad - no way can't!

When using a cable with Neutrik type connectors there is no lock on the RJ45 itself since the outer metal shell is the lock. You must use a cable with standard RJ45 on one end and the Neutek type connector on the other. So yes this cable is correct as you received it just not correct for use with the KPA.

*edit*
    I just noticed that in the description they say detachable housing for use in either type of application so now I just don't know what is correct on this specific cable. Don't see how that is possible since you can't reach the clip if using the housing and without it how would it lock? Very odd indeed so not sure what to say on that one.

Yeah, was easy to tell them apart, just hard to know which one was the real amp without hearing the real amp originally. I got 100% wrong just like Sam did for similar reasons. But ultimately easy to tell them all apart just have to understand the helix qualities vs original amp sound qualities to get them 100% right.

I set my spdif output to git/stack so that i have my wet sound, and a clean for later use. Should be ok.

This is likely not what you want and won't usually match the KPA HP master out if running anything in stereo or post stack effects. The equivalent if you want git on one channel and a single mono channel of full master on the other is git/master-left.

However to match the *true* full stereo image of the KPA HP out I would use Master Sterno as the setting unless I was recording the raw GIT signal for re-amping. Just to compare try master stereo and see if it matches better.

I have been trying to get this same type of sound as used by Van Halen on "And the Cradle will Rock' intro. Have gotten close but not a match yet really - anyone else get this one with the KPA effects alone?

Check your SPDIF output setup in the outputs menu. This can be setup in many different ways depending on what you are trying to accomplish including reamping. Make sure in this case you have it set to master out L/R (Can't remember the exact text) and that should probably fix your issue. I suspect it is set to something more like GIT or something currently.

Hi KarelFF
    I asked to Support before about it, and they told me that it's no LED at all but a light sensor that will measure the brightness to adjust the display automatically on a stage. It is not yet functional but will be in a future version of the firmware.
    Cheers :)
    H

Nice! Something to look forward to.