Posts by guitarj

Did a bunch more profiling today. Also, I edited the profiles I posted before, so there are 10 posted all together tonight. My spare bedroom is a mess, so I'm done for a while and putting everything away. So happy to have some tones from my VTX in my Kemper. I think they came out great. Better than expected. The profiler makes it a breeze!!

Thank you!
    Yes, it was very puzzling the direction Vox went with this. I think they missed a window of opportunity with it, and instead of improving the product... thinking with the economy downturn people wouldn't spend. They went with the budget market. Moved production to Vietnam and dropped the flagship product completely.
    I think fractual and Kemper have proven that the high end market was always there for the taking. Let me know what you think of the plexi profile if you have time. I'm open to any constructive criticism you might have.

Finally got around to getting a profile of my VTX!!
    I know, your probably thinking "great, more profiles of another modeler". However, in the early 2000's, Vox was on to something with this amp, and it had to do with the valve reactor in the power amp section.

In short, I prefer the Marshall tones in this to my own 40 watt JCM 2000.

This amp did have its shortcomings though. Many of the amp models sound much better with some eq in the effects loop. It also had cheap input jack connections, and many reports of bad dry solder joints.

My 60 watt head has been lovingly cared for the past decade, and up on the rig exchange is my first profile of probably my favorite model; "UK 70's". A plexi model.

I originally thought I could at least get some direct amp models since I have no experience micing an amp. But after several tries this past week, using an SM58 with the filter off, I'm pleasantly surprised.

On the exchange.. Vox VTX, author.. guitarj. Just 2. One is direct amp, the other is a studio profile.

Over the next weeks and months, I will focus mainly on overdrive and crunch profiles. Maybe a clean or 2. The high gain models aren't the best and really need eq tweaking (loop).

Profiled with a birch ply 2 12 cab loaded with celestion G12 50's, and an SM 58 with the filter off.

2 and 3 are very close. I pick 2 as the Maxon. If I were comparing the sound on my Kemper and guitar, it would be easier to choose I think.

i changed my mind after listening to the second half of each clip several times. Definitely don't need the extra pedal to a gig though.

I wrote this in another thread...

"They are great. I have heard people talk about keeping a few favorites on the profiler out of the pack, but it has been my experience so far that you shouldn't count any of them out, because many different cabs will work better than others on all the the different profile offerings out there.

And... don't overlook the Marshall JVM 410H Used to make the Cablab pack. after owning this pack several weeks, I found the high gain profile (015 in this case, although several others are right there with it). It might just be my favorite high gain profile to date."

I have a KC 150. I never thought I would use it again, but I just started playing out again, just a few songs on Sundays, and have it leaned back in the corner next to me as a monitor. Im right behind the PA, so Im just using it to hear myself from another angle. I have a 2010 version Atomic FR tube powered cab but its pretty big. I might start using it with the mix to share with other musicians as we get going and more organized.

The KC 150 can be heard for my use of it now, but it would never hang with a loud drummer. The Atomic has a much flatter response and better sounding overall, and that is considering the Atomic CLR and Yamaha DXR 10 are even much better options than the Atomic FR.

For the price of a New KC 350, although an improvement over the 150, I would get a DXR 10 in a heartbeat!

Yes, it's from the new cablab. Your cab wasn't bad, the Tills cabs are just really good. There are 58, so lots of tonal variety there. Gave me the option to brighten up your profile a little.

Another thing is the Marshall that he used to make the cablab, the high gain ones. I've picked one out from them that is easily one of my favorites... You know, the kind of profile you lock onto and rip for an hour or 2 straight.. :)

I always used my hm2 in front of a clean amp. Death metal wasn't around when I bought it, so I never used it all on 10. When I got back into playing in my mid thirties and got educated on what real amp tone is all about, it's been collecting dust ever since.
    I have a Sweetspot profile with an hm2 in front of a dual rectifier thats pretty decent.

So anyway, I've thought how ironic it is that this pedal is so highly sought after now.

Thanks, gonna get the Cablab pack at least

They are great. I have heard people talk about keeping a few favorites on the profiler out of the pack, but it has been my experience so far that you shouldn't count any of them out, because many different cabs will work better than others on all the the different profile offerings out there.

And... don't overlook the Marshall JVM 410H Used to make the Cablab pack. after owning this pack several weeks, I found the high gain profile (015 in this case, although several others are right there with it). It might just be my favorite high gain profile to date.

When I first read this, I though you guys were joking for a few seconds. Definitely some great stuff, and I second the comment about the Cabs, I will be keeping them too.

Maybe these profiles were a little late coming (announced too early actually), but its great having a product that is so well supported!! Thanks Kemper!