Posts by Clutterbilly

Thanks for the tip! I returned this unit and got a new one....but what a difference in sound! The other unit sounded harsh and the gain was pretty awefull. I bought the 1987x TAF profiles and it only was usable to me when totally lowering the gain and put a distortion stomp in front of it. I spent weeks of tweaking sounds to get the tones right. Even the TAF bassman that came with it sounded distorded.

Now I have this new unit and almost all sounds are useable without spending hours of tweaking, so pretty much out of the box. Just change some overal EQ settings and it's fine. The 1987x sounds are amazing now and I bought the TAF '59 bassman and Trainwreck profiles which are killing together with my tele!

I would have never known this if I didn't return the unit though but it does make me wonder why these faulty units are being send out to customers actually....

Yea, something like that must have happened but normally a backup file should not be modified while trying to restore it (just as a common rule I mean, not specificly for the KPA).

Power shouldn't have been the issue because it was plugged straight into the powersocket of the wall.

It did reset itself 3 times (i tried this 3 times with 3 different backup files) after the failed restores and left me with 3 blanco corrupt backup files on the stick...

Won't be going into this further but I'm 100% sure this device sounds different (better) than the one I had before (I noticed that because one of the bought profiles sounded really bad on the other device and extremely good on this one!) so I need to redo all the tweaking work again because this device sounds different, that's why I don't care so much about the lost stuff :)

Yesterday I tried to load a KPA backup into a new KPA (backup was from a another KPA) and that failed. Not even dit it fail but it also completely ruined the .kpabackup files on the (dedicated) stick as well! After my attempts to restore my settings and rigs the .kpabackup contained no data anymore, they where all 0 Kb in size and I couldn't use them anymore.

It's not a very big deal to me that the rigs and settings where gone (should have kept a copy of the .kpabackup on my PC as well of course and I didn't) but it sounds weird to me that a device just eats a backupfle. After the failed restore the KPA rebooted and I had to enter date and time again.

Do I have to worry that a part of the OS now isn't backupped/installed or is it just the rigs and the settings that are not taken over from the .kpabackup?

Thanks all for your replies guys! I had a gig last weekend and that was more of a rock gig so I bought some Marshall profiles from TAF (UKGold 87x) and went straight out to the FOH. Excellent sound! I am more tweaking the amp settings right now and also have better country/rock results. Sure will check the TAF Trainwreck as well, thanks for mentioning it! Also bought the TopJimi 1974 Lee Jackson Marshall profiles and these are killing as well!

Only thing left now is that I seem to suffer from the "loose knob" issue that a couple of other users seem to have as well. When I change the treble EQ setting sometimes the knob goes changing settings itself and seems to go balistic (while playing I see the value change constantly by itself, without changing tone) even in other rigs at that point! Once this is happening I can't even change a stompbox anymore, it's not responding anymore. Turning the treble up and down a couple of times seem to resolve it but it's kind of unexpected and unwanted behavior of course.

I can live with it but it scares me to think that at some point the Kemper fails on me during a live gig and that I can't live with..any suggestions from any of you? Can't afford to buy a spare one :)

Just a quick note to introduce myself since I already own the KPA a couple of weeks and I've been diving into this forum like hell since! So thanks for all your advice and tips so far!

I've been playing the guitar for over 35 years now, classical trained but I always have played electrics as well.

After buying the Kemper I immediately sold my Soldano and now the Twin and the Vox Tonelab will leave the door the same way as well anytime soon.

Brought the Kemper to a gig last Saturday, but was't quite satisfied yet. But I know it's in this machine so I need a bit more tweaking I guess and I ran the Kemper though a 1*12 cab (miked) which is not the way to use it, but I didn't have time to experiment and hear it direct from FOH so went for the safe way. Next time I will try direct out as well.

I play a lot of country gigs (so a Telecaster) and I have a little trouble dialing in the right country twang sound (alla Mason and Paisley). Any advice here? At a low level it's fine but at stage level it sounds 'too cranked' for some reason.

regards,
    Johan