Posts by drog

I am connected with my Kemper Rack, Remote and iPad , everything is working.

Here is what I used...

Equipment used:

tp-link TL-POE150S ( IEEE 802.3af standard and can work with all IEEE 802.3af PoE compliant powered devices)

Netgear AC1750 R6400 wireless router

- I had a wireless Netgear router kicking around. Plugged Kemper rack into network LAN port 1 and Remote into PoE and PoE into network LAN port 2 (do not plug into the WAN port).

This way the Kemper and Remote are on same network and can talk to each other.

- Booted up Kemper and made sure Remote was working.

- Then on my iPad in system settings, I choose the new network for Netgear.

- Started Kemper iPad app, scanned and found my Kemper, then joined.

Was quick, simple and fast.

Hey.

but this won’t work with the WiFi router connected to the Kemper and a Kemper remote???

You need a PoE , I use a (tp-link TL-POE150s) this will power your Remote as it usually would get its power from the Kemper.

Plug the Kemper into the router channel and then plug the PoE into another channel in the router. Then plug the Remote into the PoE. The Kemper and Remote are now on the same network and work as always had.

It’s a very slick setup

If I could make a suggestion for iPad app.

It would be helpful to show the numeric display for value adjustments at the top part of the screen as well as the bottom. Since we use our hands to move values up/down, many times your hand blocks out seeing your adjustment. So adding the numeric adjustment value to the top part of the iPad screen would help.

Also, if there was a way to make a double tap on the item you are adjusting re-set the value back to previous saved would make things quicker than drop down menu.

Yes, I think so long as the KPA is on the same local network as the iPad, then the iPad can connect to the KPA. So it's probably your first thought - switch is connected to a wireless router, hence the KPA is on the network, iPad is on the same network via wireless and remote will also connect to KPA on same network. This works well for home use, but wouldn't translate to live use unless you had the use of the wireless / wired network at the gig venue (unlikely)...

Just bring your router with you, I have mounted mine in my rack. Note: my router for my Kemper does not connect to my home network and is used only for/with Kemper. So I can run independent from needing to join an outside network. Works great!

ok I am all setup, So far works great!

Did Rig Manager update, then updated Kemper to latest Beta

Equipment used:

tp-link TL-POE150S

Netgear AC1750 R6400 wireless router

- I had an old wireless Netgear router kicking around. Plugged Kemper into network port 1 and Remote into network port 2 (do not plug into the WAN port).

- Booted up Kemper and made sure Remote was working.

- Then on my iPad in system settings, I choose the new network for Netgear.

- Started Kemper iPad app, searched and found my Kemper and joined network.

Connected and editing! This is awesome ?

I have a Boss WL20 that for the most part has worked well. But if there is lots of wi-fi being used, especially now with these new mixers, etc that also have wifi, it does create more problems.

I am on the hunt for something different as well. Not many channels of UHF available either.

Glad a cable still works. 8o

Amp accuracy does not automatically mean good sound.

99% of audience members have no clue what this kind of Marshall or that kind of Fender sounds like. So like I said. If you can make a cheap solid state combo sound great, the audience will have zero clue if it sounded close to the real deal or not. I’d be willing to bet that most guitar players using a modelling amp don’t even know what a real Dumbell sounds like (myself included) and a recorded version is not like actually plugging into one, so we have no idea how close it is either.

You can make any piece of gear sound good, or bad for that matter. Ha ha

I've been at shows where people were using PodXT's and HD500's and Axe FX Ultra's into little FRFR combos on stage and then micing them up, and the audience notices the poor tone, and even talks about it over beers in between sets. The bands are never told straight up that their tone sucked - they go off thinking it was another successful show.

The audience does notice. I've never really been on board with this "the audience doesn't care, so neither should you" attitude. It makes zero sense to me. If it were true, we should all be using Peavey Bandit's and Boss DD3's.

IMO.

I have also heard POD’s , HD500 that sounded great. For that matter I have heard many guitarist tube amps that sounded terrible. Myself, I have recorded a Fender Mustang 15 solid state amp and it sounded wonderful.
    So I don’t take your point to mean much that lesser gear means lesser sound. It’s all in how you use it and really in how you play.
    You can make a QC sound just as bad as those examples you talked about. So meh!

For the bar gigging crowd (myself included) SKB cases work great. I have been using mine for the last 10 yrs and no issues.
    If I was a touring band I might go with a more robust flight case.

So I guess it depends on what the OP’s needs are.

can I ask how you use XR18 with Kemper ? Do you also use it as Audio Interface / revamping ?

I use my XR18 for live, in ear mix or a small band mix. But you could use it as interface. It also can record to a USB stick too, which has been really handy.