Posts by drog

The Fender Feedback pedal is a good option, does a fairly decent job. Though you do not get the same control and overtones like you can in front of a raging tube amp. It is closer to using a Ebow kind of effect.
    So, the Kemper folks could look at replicating the Ebow effect?

Reading the "Remote reference guide" made me smile, its apparent that this is a very thought out foot controller. A "must buy" for the Kemper. I already have ideas of how I am going to set my rigs and effects, dancing in my head.
    :thumbup:

Just bought pack 2. Some really nice profiles. Love the Bogners and I can get a killer jazz sound from the Morgan AC40TB. Also love the Victoria, great blues sounds.
    Great stuff!!!

If the parts, especially the switches are of high quality, then that alone is worth the price. Not to mention that the footswitch will be updateable in the future to continue to work with any changes to the Kemper. Plus, I will finally be able to use performance mode correctly.

Personally, I could have lived without the looper function, lol

I agree with this concept, too much of a good thing. I choose my amps for my guitars and the sound I need for what I play. Basically it comes down to the real amps I own and a couple of the holy grails I have always wanted. Make or find the best profile of that amp,Then I dial in MY sound.

If you wanted, you could spend all of your time aduitioning amps and never playing. Its funny, my keyboard player rags on me that I have this Kemper full of amp profiles and he only hears me play the same one all the time,lol

Hey guys,

I have been using a Vox Tone Lab SE as my Kemper foot controller, thought I would share some tips. It works great and can also be used as a backup, should the Kemper ever have issues. Simply connect the midi out on the Tone Lab, to the midi in on the Kemper (using a midi cable). Then follow the steps below. I would recommend that you use "Browser" mode on the Kemper.
    Here is a picture of the unit I have
    [Blocked Image: http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l234/Browneyes1723/Vox.jpg]

With the Tone Lab, you are able to switch amps on the Kemper using the switches 1-4 and the bank up, down function, for a total of 96 amp models to choose or various combinations. You can assign the EXP pedals to whatever you want to control, I have the outside one set to control volume and the other controls my wah. With the volume at zero, the Kemper tuner is engaged. I have experimented with setting the volume as "gain" control, but its harder to use, since the pedal will reset to where its is placed (which can be way over or under the gain level desired), though it can work well to select the patch and then adjust your gain level with the foot pedal, and then control with the pedal as needed.

I also have the Tone lab setup so when I hit the FX ON/OFF switch I can then turn on and off the "stomp", "effects" using the Tone Lab switches labeled A/B, 1/Pedal, 2/Mod, 3/Delay, 4/Reverb. I have it set like this for myself: switch A/B controls my stomp A and is set as a boost on/off. 1/Pedal is set to turn on/off stomp C, 2/Mod is set to turn on/off stomp D, 3/Delay is set to turn on/off effect X, 4/Reverb is set to turn on/off effect MOD.
    I have also assigned the "control" switch on the Tone Lab to be set for "Tap" tempo for the kemper. The A/B boost, Tap Tempo (control) are always ready to be engaged. Tapping the FX ON/OFF, I can go between switching amps to controlling my effects.

To set the Tone Lab SE:
    Hit the "Global" button on the Tone Lab
    Use the Page left button to scroll the screens, menu choices
    Set midi channel to 1 (using up down button to change)
    Set the PCHG out "ON" (program change is sent out)
    Set the CCHG I/O "ON" (controller changes sent out)
    Hold down both the left and right arrow buttons at the same time, while on CCHG I/O page. This will take you to the setup for assigning the switches to the effects,stomps you want to control. Use the left/right arrow buttons to move between the different pedal/switches and then the up/down arrow buttons to change the CC number.
    Mine are set as follows: note:I did not name the Tone lab switches the same as the Kemper, though you could if you want.
    EXP 1 CC01 (controls Kemper wah)
    EXP 2 CC07 controls Kemper volume (CC72 to control the gain)
    CTRL Pedal CC30 controls Kemper Tap
    Pedal FX CC19 controls Kemper Stomp C
    Mod FX CC20 controls Kemper Stomp D
    Delay FX CC22 controls Kemper Effect X
    Reverb FX CC24 controls Kemper Effect MOD
    Insert FX OFF
    A/B Chn CC17 controls Kemper Stomp A

To assign the Kemper to switch amp models in "Browser" mode:
    Go to the amp model you want to assign. Press the Kemper "system" button. Go to page 5 on the display, using the "page" L/R button. You will see "current rig" (the one you just browsed too) PrgChg # <unassigned> if it has no previous edit or amp name if it has been assigned. Use the knob below the lcd screen to change the Midi PrgChg # to the desired bank number on the Tone Lab SE. Then hit the "assign" lcd button on the Kemper.
    EX: Kemper Midi PrgChg # 3, will be bank 1, switch 3 on the Tone Lab
    Kemper Midi PrgChg # 5, will be bank 2, switch 1 on the Tone Lab
    Each bank on the Tone Lab SE will allow four amps to be assigned. Bank 1 SW 1 = PrgChg #1, Bank 1 SW 2 = PrgChg #2,Bank 1 SW 3 = PrgChg #3,Bank 1 SW 4 = PrgChg #4
    Bank 2 SW 1 = PrgChg #5,Bank 2 SW 2 = PrgChg #6,Bank 2 SW 3 = PrgChg #7,Bank 2 SW 4 = PrgChg #8

You will notice that once you assign a Kemper amp to a PrgChg #, it shows this number beside the amp name (bottom right of the lcd screen) for reference.

The Tone Lab SE gives you up to an eight character name for each patch bank. This is not long enough for some of the Kemper names. I save mine instead as an easier name and using short hand on some. Ex: LP_CLEAN, LP_RTHYM, LP_LEAD, STRAT_CL, STRAT_RT, STRAT_LD

To assign the Kemper to switch amp models in "Performance" mode: This is a little different in how the pedal now reacts. The program numbers now run in sequence and you assign an amp in that sequence.
    So bank 1 switches 1-4 are Kemper programs 1-4 bank 2 switches 1-4 are Kemper programs 5-8, bank 3 switches 1-4 are Kemper programs 9-12,etc. This can become a little more confusing to use, since bank 5 on performance 1 is now on tone lab bank two switch 1. Performance mode would work best, if you are just stepping up in patches in sequence for each area of a song and then on to the next one. Or if you want to use some other midi gear to switch patches. Its not really intuitive for a foot controller as far a layout and ease. I won't go into any more detail on this mode, feel free to ask questions if you want to use it.

I hope this might help someone, or give them an idea on a pedal board they can use.

Cheers!

I use the SKB Roto rack 4U shallow depth. Recessed handles are nice, the metal for rack attachment is strong, the latches are recessed and the covers have a nice seal on them. Its very light and manageble. I was originally going to get the full depth case but it's way too bulky. I have my Kemper rack and power conditioner/supply mounted. If you have a wireless unit, you might want to buy a 6U.

I had one of the less expensive SKB cases, but did not like the rails or the latches on it. Also looked at the Gator cases, found the latches and covers to be cheap as well.

cheers!

My tube amps are not getting much love since my Kemper purchase, but I have zero thoughts of selling them.
    1) they are paid for
    2) should a different version of this product or similar be released in the future, I want my amps to profile. Or just as updates or needs for new profiles.
    3) I searched long and hard to find these amps and these sounds, so they are family now
    4) Just because they are cool to look at
    5) sometimes its just nice to plug into one amp with one cable and go
    6) Real tubes