Posts by drog

One thing I do when I use my distortion/boost/fuzz pedals is to either add an EQ or Boost in the "A" slot on the Kemper. Just a little bit, to add back that sparkle and boost you would have going into an amp. Even better is to profile your fav amp with the pedal(s).

You can also lower the main output level if it is too hot. Hold down the "output" button and then go to page two. You might also want tocheck what the outputs are assigned to, on page one.

Ok, after playing around with some different amps and setups, here is what I found. Going into a studio monitor directly from the monitor out, then turning up the output knob/ volume past the zero point creates the distortion for me. But oddly only on the 5th string, 11th fret (Ab/G#) note. This will create a loud popping noise in the speaker. If I leave the kemper monitor level at the zero level, then crank up the studio speakers amp, there is no popping noise. I can turn the studio monitor full blast and no popping noise. Its only if I use the monitor output level past the zero mark, turning the volume knob (I have it set to control my monitor only).

I did not notice this effect while running into a guitar cabinet, oddly enough.

So for now I will turn up the studio monitor amp and turn down the Kemper. I will test this with my PA speaker next rehersal.

Alex, I had something similar. I was getting a "popping" noise in my speakers, only from one note and only on some patches and only when played harder.For the bad patches I added an EQ and adjusted the mid between 410 -435 hz and then lowered the mid gain and Q settings. I also lowered the low at around 20 hz and adjusted the Q setting down. I also adjusted the effect level back a bit. Depending on the kind of effect the mid EQ would need to be adjusted to find the offending Hz that made the pop. For example: with a phaser it was 410hz and with a fuzz it was 435 hz.

Try finding if it is just one note making the pop or many and adjust out the offending frequency. It might be the speaker I am currently using that does not like this frequency as I did not notice it on my previous speaker. You might have to play around to find the freq to cut for your gear. It worked for me
    Hope you get it solved.

Drog

Ok, maybe I am not explaining this correctly. I know I need to adjust the clean/ distortion sense for the instrument. What I want to know, is there an easy way to get the instrument levels from guitar to guitar set at the same levels, is there a better way to go about adjusting them so they sound consistent? Are you guys using a level meter?
    so I am trying to balance a clean sound for example to be similar with my Les Paul and Strat, so the levels are more consistent on the same patch.

I have a question about setting instrument input levels. Do you bring the higher levels down, lower levels up or meet half way? What seems to work best for you guys? Do you use one patch to set levels, or try a couple and a happy medium and then edit the patches to match.

I have quite a few guitars, setting the input would be ideal for them, so before I start just looking for some tips.

Thanks,
    Drog

This kind of cable could be used while you profile an amp (I do this with my looper pedal), just play for a bit and then you can set the guitar down and easily adjust amp, mic and Kemper. It saves on time while running back to the amp in the iso booth, for tweaking.

While a looper would be a nice addition, I certainly do not need something complex. A simple ditto style would be fine. I would sooner like to see insert loops on the board, where I could insert my distortion and fuzz pedals, loopers, etc and be able to take them right out of the chain if I wish.