Posts by V8guitar

V8guitar: just curious: what functionality are you missing in the tuner?

Me personally, nothing, but lots of people have asked for altered tuning presets and tempered tuning capability, which should all be possible I would assume.

I was being cheeky in asking TBH :)

I think the problem the OP is calling out is still about relative volumes.

For example - Profile A is set at -2db less than the maximum. He wants profile B to be 5db higher than Profile A but can't because he only has 2db to play with. So all he can do is lower Profile A. Of course, Profile A is set relative to profile C, so now you have to change profile C as well. Reducing Master volume would not solve this.

I have seen this once where I ran out of headroom.

I guess the other option is amp volume, but I suspect running all volumes very high might cause an issue???

The function you are asking for is is to globally reduce all volumes by a certain value as opposed to each rig?

Its pretty niche ....why? Because of most of things said above:

1) I have never felt the need for volume creep with the KPA because I know the volume is constant where as with valves I felt the sound fluctuated and we are talking about relative volume not overall, so why does this need to change all the time. Also, as said,

2) I have never understood the reason for 1 performance per song, no wonder you have a management overhead and not ( I would suggest) how performances were intended to be used...this is just 1 example of a problem with doing that

However.......I did actually experience a similar thing where the starting point of some of my rigs were quite high and therefore when I want to increase the volume of a rig ( for say a solo sound) I ran out of headroom. It meant I did have to reduce the other volumes rather than increase the one I wanted ( hence relatively it was higher).

Because this was only for 5 rigs, its wasn't an issue, and I've only ever done this once in 9 years....mainly due to a rig being too high in the first place. Therefore I learnt that if I'm building performances, I make sure my rigs start at a relatively low volume so I have headroom..

Is there more to the update then?

Because I'll take whatever they were demoing at NAMM in the TJ video...sounded fine to me!

Let's get on with it!

You won't if it crashes after 5 mins...

This is always the problem Kemper face - give us advanced warning of features and product, but as soon as they do, everyone wants them. Their quality control seems pretty robust to me so they don't work to a date, they work to a quality level, which is difficult to then estimate a release.

Frustrating but just how it is. Any estimate is pure speculation.

I would agree most releases take a little longer than most people hope but also not as long as the skeptics have you believe - so somewhere in the middle.

What is even stranger is I'm not interested in tremolos at all, but I'm still excited!!! Its still like an event!

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I love Brian....weirdly....and this is a compliment....I think he sounds like Tom Jones in some parts!

Steven Tyler.....OMG, great harp playing.

Slash, whislt I'm not a big fan, sounds pretty good.

The rest of the band are just epic!

While understand your frustration. Difficulty with updates is not normal.

Not unheard of, but not normal.

Sorry your one of the unlucky ones.

Totally agree.

I have been running my Kemper for 9 years and I always do updates including Betas. I have only ever had 1 minor problem that support sorted out so definitely chase this down.

The update process can be a little clunky but is very straight forward when using a USB.

I think you have the answer but just to check - there are 2 ways to remove the cab:

1) Cab monitor button - This only disables the cab on the speaker and main output. Monitor is unaffected.

2) Cab button ( on the from of the KPA) - this affects every output ( I believe).

So, when using a Cab on stage, you use the Cab monitor check box and take your direct out from the monitor out. Using the Cab monitor button will then not impact the FOH signal.

Just one more thing to add....

I previously had 2 kabinets that I ran with my powerhead....and 2 sounded no different to 1. Because the impedance was higher, the volume dropped so I had to drive the amp harder but there was no difference in sound or projection, even when I placed the Kabinets slightly apart.

My point here is, I suspect you will get very little sound difference and therefore if just for looks, I would load in dummy speakers rather than sepnd loads on 4 Kones...

My pleasure! I'm glad you put the expectations aside and just watched it. That's more than most would usually do lol. His tone has always been very strat focused with stacked single coils. Well just bridge and neck. The middle pickups are dummied. But he's also a humbucker player. He is an absolute expert of the toggle switch. He flicks that thing so fast and so often to accent notes. I've been trying to incorporate that into my playing for years now. while that translates well on humbuckers, it really shines with the stacked singles. Definitely check out so more!

Definitely will check out more. I was thinking the sound was more single coil so I'm surprised they are stacked humbuckers.

I was really comparing to Yngwie who has a higher gain sound and less straty. Not a bad thing as it gives him more of his own voice.

Im useless at flicking the toggle switch ha!

Here's another Ohmura back when he was just starting out. From 2005 but the video quality and his outfit may fool you into thinking it was from much longer ago. This track is something like Hot For Teacher crossed with Yngwie Malmsteen. At about 1:42 it goes into some of the shreddiest shred I've ever seen.

Wasn't expecting to like this and all prepared to criticize the Yngwie rip off but.....its really good! Can't decide if I like the VERY strat sound but it certainly is interesting. Thanks for posting dude!

I do something similar, having go to rigs for leads. When playing lead I’d never need 4 post amp effect slots, certainly not at the same time, so the EQ volume works in my case. I like being able to see, for example that the rig has the eq volume set above zero a certain number of tics, which if zero would make the rig otherwise match the volume with the others. Adjusting rig Volume would achieve the same thing though.

However the more rigs I need to use, the less number of effects I probably need to keep in a single rig. My guess is that the guitarists that struggle with volume issues the most are the guitarists that have the most rigs. On the other hand, when I run out of effects slots, it’s a symptom of trying to cram more than necessary into a single rig.

Since I like delays and verbs in the dedicated blocks, I use up the five rigs in a performance first. If I need added versatility, I press the rig’s footswitch again for a morphed version. Since almost all the effects have a mix knob, I can effectively use morph to toggle any effect via the mix setting. This gives me 10 combinations within no more than two presses of a front row switch. If more versatility is needed, only then do I bother assigning effect toggles to the second row foot switches.

I agree that using it this way gives plenty and versatility. As with most things, after a time you refine and refine and like Rufus I now rarely use all 5 slots in a performance so with morph, plenty of options for most occasions.

There is a risk that "just because you can" means I feel many people use multiple rigs per song just because they have that option rather than its needed. Im sure there are exceptions and I play pretty simple straight ahead rock so less of a need, but even so....

Hmm...not sure I agree with all of your points and the added complexity, particularly where you suggest having a set of balanced rigs to reuse.

The balance of the volume, although the point of this post, is to me the easiest thing to set, takes seconds, so no idea why you would invest in pre balancing the volumes, especially when there are many other factors which could override that. For example, you may want one sound quieter for certain sections, or louder to boost for riffs, so you will end up editing them anyway. Also EQ is also as impactful and volume...

1) learn what clean sens does as others have mentioned. This is only necessary if you want to switch guitar types on the fly and balance them. I have never touched mine and never needed to. If you stick to your point 7, its hardly a big overhead to match between rigs using the volume.

3) Make necessary adjustments to the amp volume not Rig volume. The benefit of adjusting the amp volume as opposed to Rig volume (and saving the browse mode version this way) is that should you have a Rig in performance mode where you have dialed in a bunch of effects just so for a particular song, but then decide the amp doesn't suit it well, you can replace the amp in the existing Rig. If your replacement amp was volume balanced already, it will be volume balanced when you plop it into a new Rig. That is such a niche case, the overhead of saving it just to retain a set of balanced rigs. Just not necessary.

5) solo boosts. Most guitarists only have a need for different volumes when soloing. Having an EQ in the X slot is again beneficial. Since it has its own volume control, you can make that adjustment here when you want a solo boost, which also gives you the option to toggle to volume boost. Then why not either morph volume or have a separate slot. Selecting an effect is slightly hard tap dancing wise and you take up a slot. This emulates the old trick of having an eq pedal in the effects loop to boost for solos ( I did it with my old Laney) and it was always a work around because I didn't have selectable volumes. TBH I also add more gain and a touch more mid and presence, so having a slot dedicated is way easier IMO.

7) Limit the number of profiles you use in a gig, regardless of how many performances you create using those profiles with song-specific effects. Your core tone, the profile and overdrives pushing them shouldn't be different for every song. Have a set of profiles that give you the gain stages you need. Maybe have a second set you like better for a different guitar you may use. Maybe even have a couple others that do whatever special thing you need for a specific song. But it's hard for the sound tech, the band and even yourself to constantly have your core tone changing. Totally agree with this! I learnt the hard way with this.

You should set 'rig volume' only to minimize the volume difference between all of your rigs to avoid volume discrepancies when changing from one preset to another. Then when all of your rigs play out at the same level, set your master to accommodate the PA at your volume pedals highest level. That way all of your presets will hit the PA at the same level. For instance, if you have 2 presets (1 clean, 1 dirty) and the dirty rig is louder, lower the dirty rig volume to match the clean rig so that switching back and forth does not cause a volume jump or drop. This is not the same as adjust the amp volume in the stack section as rig volume will not affect the overall sound of the rig itself.

Just to add/sumerise - the process is really simple:

1) get your rig volumes balanced between each other. Some will be louder on purpose e.g. solo, so it's about relative volumes. I use rig volume for this purpose but as mentioned you can also use amp volume. I also boost for riffs using morph....

2) unlink your volumes

3) If you have a powerhead/rack and are plying through a speaker on stage, use master volume to adjust this. When unlinked it has NO effect on the output to the PA

4) Set your PA output to -12 to -20 db, anywhere in that range is fine for a PA

5) Sound check and check your highest volume doesn't clip the desk..

Done.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Charles is just a monster....dream band would be:

1) Charles on Bass

2) El Estepario Siberiano on drums

3) Tim Henson on Guitar

4) Not sure who on vocals....