Posts by V8guitar

Oh V8guitar I don't know if I already told you. I was able to pick my remote from the rehearsal room and it worked perfect with the beta. I hope you have figured it out with yours.

Atlantic thank you for checking.

Yes I found the problem. The assignments to the remote were lost during my upgrade. Stupidly I didn't take a back up but actually I use very few stomps ( that I need to switch on and off) so a very quick fix/answer.

It means that my original Kemper cable still works!!!

I think there is an element of psychology going on here...

Firstly I hate tweaking....I just want to plug in and play.....BUT I also want flexibility. With a valve, I never had enough channels, had to keep adding annoying, noisy pedals etc.

I treat my KPA just like an amp. I don't play with clean sense, Power amp sag, definition, pure cabinet etc. Just plug in, minor fiddle ( ooh err missus) and play. If it doesn't sound good, find another profile. Every so often I think I've found an amazing profile. Play it for a bit, love it, compare to my original, fall back in love with that profile and ditch it.

Feel is in the mind. If you expect digital, you get digital. I've stopped thinking about trying to find the issues with it and learned to love it. When I now go back to valves, I'm so disappointed.

I see so many people getting great sounds, if I can't, where is the issue?....Its with me..

You should be able to get a second hand power amp cheaper than that...many people on here use the Seymour so they are best placed to advise but 170 watts isn;t a great deal for a solid state amp. However, don;t forget you should be plugging the Kemper into the PA so you could also use the PA monitors??

You can use it without the remote but its a faff changing sounds, particularly mid song. You can get a cheaper footswitch ( Kemper sell one) to scroll through the patches 1 by 1 to give you basic changes...

So, Kemper just added a Legends collection...had a quick spin and....I think they are pretty good!

Not tried them at volume but first impressions at low volume is they hold up pretty well.

Loads of potential for this to be expanded....I'd like Billy Duffy included ( purely because I'm in a Cult tribute and I'm useless at tone matching).

Thanks again Kemper team!!!

Some of the posts here had me believing that the new drives were going to be underwhelming but it pays to remember to be open minded and that opinions differ.

The sound of any overdrive pedal is so significantly dependent on the amp settings, that it makes no sense to me. I'm no more likely to use a preset than I would use an instruction manual and suggested settings with a Tube Screamer.

I don't think anyone suggested the KD doesn't sound good, it was the debate on whether it can replicate certain sounds.

This also is relative to your comment about presets, where people are saying they don;t sound the same. However, I think it gives a good starter for those not having used a Klon before as a benchmark.

Another old fart here ( 52)...the problem you actually have is choice!

Will it do what you want ( switch between Metallica and BB king)....absolutely!

But it does require more investment in time to understand it, although I think its one of the easiest digital pieces of kit out there.

Choices are:

1. Use your current cabs or invest in FRFR - pros and cons to both. I would suggest start with your current cabs
    2. Powered or unpowered ( profiler or stage). If you were gigging I'd say powered but actually I think the stage with a small power amp is prob best

Start simple and then build as you go.

Don;t forget, you can also profile your amps as well :)

So the way I see it ( trying to balance this thing out):

• The KD has been designed in a specific way to replicate many of the variables used to create the sounds of these pedals.
    • OD pedals offer a number of variables in how they can be used ( no right or wrong)
    • lightbox I think is emphasising a particular use case which indicates a particular behaviour he does not seem to be able to replicate easily ( or at all).
      • Does this make the drives useless or not able to replicate the drives under other use cases? Nope.
      • Does Lightboxes use case represent the definitive and only use case of the Klon and OD pedals? Nope.
      • Is it important to him and possibly others in the way to increase the use and flex of the KPA, Yep.

As Im not a pedal guy as well, I struggle with the "magic" that is supposed to be generated from these pedals which have now achieved this godlike status and therefore crazy prices.

It has to be articulated into the impact on the end sound not necessarily how its done, so i would start with "this is the sound I want, how do I get it" rather than "it doesn't sound the same as my Klon".

Nikos are you saying you won't be spending $2000 on a Klon then :)

Couple of things from me:

1) Start with the basics - its layout is based around an amp

2) Don;t tweak too much. If a profile doesn't sound great, do some limited tone tweaking but if not feeling it, move on

3) Focus on the sounds and amps you love. Sounds obvious but with 16,000 profiles to choose from, the temptation is to try a Dumble because you've heard how great they are

4) For live consider getting the remote

5) For live, look into Morph - great feature for boosting

6) Don;t forget to play...its easy to get bogged down in tone choices

So its not taboo and its what works for you BUT, i think it just adds unnecessary complexity - both in a sound (balancing gain - valves add colour even when clean) and logisitics ( more wires, stuff to lug around).

Many people do this to provide what they feel is "missing".

For me:

1) My focus has changed to FOH because I don't mike up now...so I don;t need to get a great sound on stage to translate through the PA

2) I'll take 95% of my sound and less hassle then add this overhead. I love that my sound is consistent ( SS power is more linear than valves-which is part of their charm but farting around finding the sweet spot for me is now just irritating) and reliable, adding valves sort of defeats the point and the KPA becomes more of an expensive FX unit. I like the one stop shop in a box, hence I also don;t use any external pedals.

But that's just me....

Nice one....as there are 16,000 free profiles available, don't feel to guilty about not putting up any profiles, there are plenty there!

Just relax and enjoy access to all those tones!

My personal view:

• Merged vs studio makes no difference for FOH, the difference is with your on stage monitor. My focus is on FOH, not on stage. I think too many people focus on their monitoring rather than what people hear somehow trying to gte them to sound the same.
    • FRFR will get you the closest alignment of on stage vs FOH. This isn't always necessary but just notice its different. I use FRFR to get my ball park FOH sound
    • Merged are way better for on stage if going through a real cab
    • you need to tune your FOH sound at volume through a PA.
    • Don;t bother with IR's, its a rabbit hole which defeats the point/genius of profiling the signal chain. Changing the cabs as mentioned above is worth doing as I also use the MARS 1960AV ( I think)....
    • Go see a few peoples bands, find a player getting a great FOH sound, profile his sound....boom you have it! ( partially joking).

My remote bug....

As no one else has seen this, I think it must be a dodgy cable....strange thing is, stomps appeared on one profile in browse, which happened to be a profile I added the new KD to...

Anyway, I'll upgrade to next beta ( in case its a corruption) and get a new cable to resolve.

Well chuffed with the cable - it came with the kemper 6 years ago and I've used it live on hundreds of gigs with no issues!!

I think he only started using the KPA on the last world tour.

I saw him in Cologne in May of 2019 before it was announced that he used the KPA. I could have sworn there were tube amps out of sight, mic'ed up backstage somewhere. I'm ashamed to admit that I only started taking the KPA seriously after that, but it was the perfect blind test for me. Now 1,5 years later I cannot imagine a life without the KPA.

To me its now the ultimate put down...." digital never sounds as good as valve amps...well they are good enough for Mr K, so they are good enough for me" :)

I "learnt" to play the guitar ( well at least the moves and faces) miming to the solo of "Tunnel of Love"...I think its up there with Hotel California...