Posts by V8guitar

For the purposes of this conversation, a profile is a virtual amp that you can then tweak and change quite significantly, including adding/removing effects.

I wouldn't get too hung up about the profiling aspect, although its very cool and something no other amp can do. The end result is a virtual amp which you can modify way beyond what you'll ever need.

For what you are talking about, there are loads of sound options ( rig exchange has over 10,000 free ones to choose from) so again its fun to profile your fav amp but not necessary.

You will not get any issue using a separate amp as long as its good quality BUT for convenience I'd try to get the powerhead/powerrack. So much easier I find...

If you can't afford it, get the FCB1010 temporarily instead of the remote and the save up for the remote..A separate power amp means you can run Stereo but I disagree with ash on whether that's important - thats up to you :).

I have the power rack and I use it like a convention amp, into a 4 x12 BUT, instead of miking the 4 x12 which I use just for a bit of monitoring, I take a direct out into the PA. Sound engineers love it and it's so easy to set up and run. Hence for live I feel the powered version is easier and more convenient. For some gigs I just run my own PA monitor...again because its powered means I have a cheaper unpowered monitor.

You will not regret the unpowered version but if you can run to it the powered one is worth the extra..

The Axe is also a great tool BTW.

I think you also need to be clear on what do you mean as a backup - I know that sounds daft but...

I also have a Laney valve amp which if my KPA went down, I would use that. However, I obviously don't take it to gigs, so the sans amp is to see me through the night if it fails during a gig. Hence the portability is uppermost..

It would not be good enough to use for a number of gigs...

Hasten to add, never had to use any of these..

I'm a Kemper user, come from an ADA +3TM modded preamp. *Love it to bits! If I had the spare cash, I'd buy an Axe (though I've never used one). Why? Cos it'd look bitchin' in my rack setup! hark back to the 80's with the fridges full of gear! Its all about the blinking lights! \m/ \m/ (*inject heavy dose of irony here)

Happy friday everyone!

YES!!!
    I used to run an ADA MP1 into a Marshall 50/50 and quadraverb! The good ole days!!

What I used to like about this forum is the logical discussions and debates.

I was always surprised that people did not bash other products to prove the Kemper was the best. Can we please not lose this as we will lose peoples engagement. I personally have gained so much from this forum including @Ingolf and I'd like to keep learning from you all.

It seems sad we are getting very "excited" over all of this.

There is no doubt the Axe FX stuff is great sounding.

There is no doubt that the Kemper also sounds great.

There is no doubt you can make one sound better than the other.

There is no doubt some people will prefer one unit over another, either based on features or sound.

A logical discussion between the capabilities and limitations of each device should be possible without it descending into

Sermon over...

Back on topic - any back to back comparison has a limited value because set up is key. You can make the Kemper sound better or worse than the Axe and vice verse. Yes there is some interest but it will be littered with " ah but this didn't sound as good because..."

For me this is why this thread could be described as useless because it's difficult to see how any conclusions can be reached/logical output. Not to offend those that posted but to say to will serve to confuse anyone looking to understand the differences. Sound clips have their place but have limited value.

Having said that I'm always interested in how each device handles speaker emulation etc..but that is probably better served outside of a sound clip.

Just my view..

Its all down tot the profile you select, there are thousands to choose from.

AXE FX is a great unit and stronger on effects.

I believe ( no evidence) that the Kemper has it on amp feel).

Never had an issue with low end, I think its down to the profile you use.

Disagree on stereo...not necessary.

There is only "not enough room" if:

The PA/Monitor system is under powered
    the eq is bad.

Whislt you don;t want to drown vocals and everythign else out uyou also need to be heard by the rest of the band. the problem with cabs is they are directional ( so you have to be louder so everyone can hear you) and will add to the front of house sound. Hence using monitors is ideal to balance the sound for everyone on stage/rehearsal.

However, the easiest answer I feel is your own monitor which you control. I use a single unpowered wedge ( as I have the powered rack) ad no issues then...

1) Direct, but ideally both so you have a cab for monitor. Otherwise if you can afford it, an FRFR cab.

2) Speaker cable, you can melt instrument cables! This is true for ALL amps..

3) It doesn't. The profiles include the cabinet. To run through a cab, it emulates taking the cab out...unless you use merged profiles. Some profiles are made without cabs ( direct profiles) and some are a combination of the 2, so the direct part of the profile goes via the speaker out and the part of the profile which includes cab goes via the direct out, so you get best of both worlds.

4) They don't make them. There are loads of options from regular cabs ( assuming you have the powered version) to FRFR speakers. I use a regular unpowered PA monitor. Spent £180 on it and its great!

Try to find some merged profiles. There is no way to tell if it is a merged profile, only from the title/description, but I think there are some in the profile packs via Rig Manager.

Final tip - use morphing as an additional set of changes on your footswitch. On each of my slots ( there are 5 for each performance) I have another for small changes e.g. to boost a riff. You can do this by pressing the same footswitch and you'll see the second led light up....

Hope that helps...

Is this for recording or live, or both? I think this is important because your EQ will slightly change depending on need.

My tips are:
    1) Use Rig manager, far easier to check profiles
    2) If live, use FRFR for checking each sound and do it at volume if possible
    3) Find a good profile and tweak rather than try to improve a profile that doesn't work for you and try to correct it. Having said that many profiles do "open up" with some small eq changes. Use profiles closest to what you are after. I don't like 5150 amps anyway as to me they can be tinny but then I've not really used them in anger...try some ENGL or Mesa profiles, I've had better results with those..

????

I've turned mine on and off many times using the same button ( either in the output or system section, can;t remember), no factory reset..also why did you switch it off, its not necessary ( check the manual)??

Just check:

You've not accidentally unplugged the speaker cable - I've done this many times
    You've plugged into the input - I have also plugged into the headphone socket
    Check all the other obvious stuff like volume settings ( as there are some link volumes that can confuse).

Otherwise you might need to raise a ticket as it maybe faulty

Welcome.

You should find plenty to play around with...Rich has that old stones with a modern ( for then) feel and I think you'll be able to find lots of things to get you close.

The advantage with the Kemper is you don't have to go and buy more of those vintage amps to get some great sounds.

Let us know how you get on...make us Jealous, Jealous again ( sorry couldn't resist the Black Crows pun!)....

Whilst I've never been a pedal fan ( distortion always from the amp, no reverb) I'm sure it must be difficult to get away from the pedals...I don;t use a boost at all I use....morph! Try morph if you haven't already...works great with the remote...

I use it to boost for riffs...all you have to do is:
    Select your slot in performance mode ( say main rhythm sound), click the same button on the remote, increase the rig volume and add a bit of presence, treble etc to taste and save. Now press the same switch switch to toggle between the 2, giving you a boost ( or any other variable ) and the touch of a button...

For solos I use a separate slot, but morph to add more reverb and delay for more ambient solos for different songs. I love the feature!

Make sure Morph is set to change instantly not over x seconds BTW.

I'm with you, I hate tap dancing, by the time you've found your sound, the solo is half way through :)

I used to run an ADA MP1 with a quadraverb but even with midi I still had it arranged in banks.

The point I was really making, is the time delay worse with a performance loading as browsing past profiles to get to the one you need.... which I think you are saying it was, so fair enough.

I don't envy your bands, must keep you on your toes...my brain couldn't handle that much variation :)

I know you don;t want another case but if you do, I can also vouch for these, had a few myself...along with Swanflight cases ( which I have my remote and expression pedals mounted..

My plan is to perhaps have a touch sensitive overdrive that I use in front of the Kemper in the rack.And I'll need a synth bass pedal for this tour that I plan on building into a performance slot in the effects loop.
    But otherwise, part of the appeal is to NOT have anything else but the Kemper, and nothing but the remote on the ground.

OK, that makes sense. I guess its just down to the size of the flight case with the Kemper in it - there are a few on the forum I've seen with the remote in the flight case. One easy way is to strap it down using re-uaseable cable ties, will definitely not rattle around. You just need to find a place to secure as it would be more secure than velcro.

I "made" a shelf myself to mount a power lead that I strapped to it. You could use a similar principle..