Posts by V8guitar

Just to add, many large profile guitarists will use 2 amps, mainly to switch between a clean sound ( say a fender twin) and heavy ( say a Dual rectifier)..

But the Kemper does this so still at a loss really with why go to that amount of hassle - not clear if it stereo you really want ( which you need from stereo effects e.g. delays) or 2 different sounds or mixing clean and overdrive sound??

Fantastic, welcome to our world.

I love the versatility and ease of the KPA. Like you I had a big valve Amp (ENGL) and massive pedal board, 4 cables ( effects loop, power and guitar in ), a right mess.

I also hope you thanked Tom Petty for such a great song :)

Gosh, is it really worth that?

There were a number of conversations on Stereo. Personally I think you'll get so many issues managing the balance between sounds. Sound engineers will hate you :)

Is it stereo on stage or Stereo out front you want?

To be honest I'm a bit confused on your signal chain..running both will of course not be stereo, so you'd be stereo when running the JCM but mono with the Kemper? Sounds like sometimes you'll be just left mix and sometimes both ?

Am I missing something?

I currently use a modified cry baby (as an expression pedal so bypassing the wah circuit and no switch) with a couple of Nicky's Wah presets....I challenge anyone to tell the difference, plus other options there as well...very happy!

Many apologies for the derail. :rolleyes: I was experimenting with morph/boost yesterday. I think I might use that.

I'm an IT manager so no worries on the derail :)

As the guys mention its an interesting option. I use in the same way as Finally does, just to increase a bit of gain and volume and in some cases effects.

Initially I saw no value in Morphing because the progressive addition is of no interest but I use it to extend my options within a performance. In performance mode ( if you've not found this yet) you set up your amps etc as with most other multi-effects units, with a number of banks. Within each bank you have 5 sounds that you can add switch stomps on or off. With Morph, you can effectively double the number of sounds to 10, by changing the parameters on each ( adding volume, a bit more cut, some delay etc) with the touch of a button.

For example I have a solo preset but press it again ( morph) and it adds a bit more delay and reverb so I have a effectively 2 variations on my solo sound without taking up one of the 5 slots or changing banks..

There are restrictions with morph, it does change the profile just parameters within a profile, or switch effects on or off ( but you can achieve the same by having an effect on but set to zero mix).

Its the best function that I thought I didn't need :)

Great story ( except the telco bit :) )...

The remote is great, perfect live tool, combined with the pedals. Volume pedal when set to zero automatically goes to tuner, you can set either a wah ( I use touch so no button to click) or even whammy features.

You can activate multiple stomps with one press, memorizing settings is so easy, one cable to connect including power...the list goes on...

Morph I don;t use to morph per se but to selectively boost/instant changes...so for my rhythm sound I have a little more volume for riffs set to morph instantly without taking up a separate slot.

I switched from guitar cab to FRFR...and all the profiles I loved sounded pants through the FRFR.

I only then relaised how much the guitar cab smooths everything out, which means average profiles sound pretty good....but...

Really good profiles sound brilliant through FRFR and sound mediocre through a cab..

The morale of the story....you have to find the right profiles, just using what you had before will probably not work because the cab has disguised the true sound of the profile..

yeah this guy was one exception...every other place loves it.

I went powered because I was going to play live, started with a regular guitar cab then switched to an unpowered monitor.

If you have DXR and powered Kemper, you'll have fab sound, extreme portability and total versatility :)

Erm, dean_R, I'm being stupid...where is the guitar in the profiling signal chain? When I profiled, I plugged profiler ( direct output) into the amp input, mike in front of the cab, into the return to create the "loop", then weird sounds, job done.

I thought you only connect the guitar to A/B ??

Not done it for ages...someone please correct me :)

Powered version comes in handy...played a venue where the sound guy refused to let me go direct...he'd had bad experiences with Line 6 pod in the very distant past. There was a 4 x12 hanging around so I just plugged in...done...useful at festivals if you have to share backlines...

Couple of comments from me:

Profiles are not created with a guitar in the chain ( some have setting better suited to a type of guitar), it is a profile of the amp, Cab ( assuming its not a direct profile) and mike
    All amps respond differently to guitars and thr Kemper is no different.

So will you be restricted to what guitar will sound good? Absolutely not. I play everything from a Gretsch to a charvel, active and passive pickups, blues to metal.

Do you need an amp? Many people like to profile their own amp but I don;t use my amp profiles. I've use a combination of Kempers amp packs ( you get with the Kemper), those of the rig exchange ( over 10,000 to choose from...free) and commercially bought ones. You will find a sound you like...but...

the Axe and Kemper are the same that they can take time to find your sound although many get it striaght out the box...

I've never owned an Axe FX but the pros and cons have seemed to be that the Kemper can sound a bit more natural but the Axe has the edge on effects. This is a really basic summary so someone else might be better placed to comment on that.

Axe FX and Kemper are both excellent devices, I went Kemper for ease of set up ( built in power amp, minimal fiddling required)...

Hope that helps!

Don't worry man; this thing doesn't disappoint. The typical reaction for many after playing just a few notes is, "Holy shit!".
    In cases where first-time users aren't impressed, which are rare, 90% of those involve "operator error", where ignorance of routing and available parameters, appropriate monitoring or the use of "bad" / inappropriate Profiles are often to blame.

The good news is that for all intents and purposes it should be a simple matter of plug-and-play for you. Start with the factory (in-built) Profiles and then check out the Rig Exchange ones (over 10 000) via the Rig Manager app. Install the app (downloadable from the main site) and hook your Kemper up to your 'puter with a USB cable. Its operation is self-explanatory / logical / simple, and I highly recommend you get into it as soon as you've listened to the factory Rigs and had a little fun playing them.

I was one of the 10% who it took time to get really happy , partially because I used mine with a guitar cab which was a compromise but also I convinced myself that a digital amp coldn;t sound good ( un valve my thinking). But I do't trust my own ears, so I now take the feedback from people who see me play...I have never had some many positive comments on my sound...

I use mine with an unpowered monitor ( I looked for something close to a DXR 10 as I didn't need the amp) so I know you will be happy....might take a little fiddling but alsothe Kemper is o easy to use. I'm an IT guy but get frustrated with poorly designed interfaces. The Kemper is really logical and simple to use.

Also defo on the remote for live work, makes it so easy. Just for interest for Wah I took an old Crybaby and modified it to act as a controller...now it feels like a crybaby too, but without the annoying switch (touch sensitive)!

Let us know how you get on!!

The pro's and con's for your Kemper:
    Pro's - versatility, simplicity, consistency
    Con's - finding and setting up your sounds, adjusting to the way the kemper works ( going direct vs cab and therefore demo'ing sounds/set up)

The Kemper is so easy to use and programme but there is so much flex that it can take time to tune what you want. Persoanlly for me it was great out of the box.

So, based on what you've said, I think it will do 90% of what you want. SamBrox is right, for heavy Looper work, its not quite there but other bases should be fine.
    The only other concern is that the effects generally aren't as good as some outboard effect ( some people tell me). So if you are used to Strymon delays for example, the Kemper might fall short. For me I have no issues with the effects and therefore no need for outboard pedals. The Kemper takes pedals well so that is always a possibility still.

However, it does so many other things that you may currently work around.

My pedal board was quite large ( Whammy, Wah, delay, phaser, OD, bypass, tuner...), I have got rid of all outboard effects. I don;t have a crew to carry my gear so size is a real benefit for me but also the fact that its one cable to connect ( I was using about 4 if you include effects loop etc) is a god send.

I use the same settings for every gig, sound guys love it as no messing with mike placement or balancing volumes with the desk. I love the flex that I can just use FOH with IEM's or a cab ( I have the powered version). I can also use my live settings to record by going direct into my PC ( via an interface of course)....

?? Never had an issue.

I like the bubble....I use it for drop D ( I have a detune key to switch from concert to drop D and just tweak) and I think it works really well.. Strobe gives me a headache and I personally find it harder to read ( I know that sounds odd).

You sure you're not getting any resonance from fret buzz or anything?

Not a DXR user but its generally plug and play. Most people go for the DXR10 because its less boomy than the 12 ( that's what I found when I tried them both) and smaller but few tweaks with eq on the DXR or Kemper and you should be rockin..