Posts by V8guitar

I have never touched Clean sense, I purely use Rig volume.

I treat the KPA like a multi channel amp and Rig volume is like the channel volume - affects its relative volume to the other channels/rigs.

You could also use amp volume but there is a dedicated volume knob for rig volume so....

Obviously make sure you rig volume isn't linked to your master..

What players perceive from certain variations in the sound can often be described as a change in ‘feel’, I think it comes as a result of changing the relationship between the attack, sustain, decay and a manipulation of the amplitude of the wave/sound.

Mimicry of what different designs of amplifiers provide. Your fingers start the strings vibration and the results are the effect you hear. When the results vary without your conscious efforts being the only impetus it seems alive, reactive, something changing…

So, yea, science. Perceived ‘feel’ is very much a real thing and there is a huge field of scientific study that has lead to the developing industry of sound recording and the phenomenon I’m talking about is one tine piece of it.

I would argue that a significant aspect is psychological and confirmation bias. Perceived is the key word here and hence to me the majority ( not all of it) is subjective.

Blimey, this is a deep conversation :)

Don.

One more question. Ok I have the send return working now. However if I wanted to run my chorus pedal as before and have it in the Kemper effects loop. Is there a way?

I'm sorry to interject here but I have to ask....why??? Why take an amp simulator ( pre amp) with a power amp and run it into a pre amp and power amp? Only for effects? Then why then try to link an external effect as well? You are going to end up running your chorus into the Kemper effects loop and the Kemper into the effects loop of the Soldano...

No wonder its not clear to set up...

Why not just profile the Soldano? Why not use the built in chorus? Just feels like you have a very expensive limited effects unit in the Kemper, which BTW I think will ultimately not sound as good with the additional cabling etc.

Each to their own, but....

I am not tempted by any other solution because:

1) I have no "advanced" needs and so it does way more than I need anyway

2) It sounds great already, zero complaints on sound

3) No other solution has a built in power amp

4) No other solution has a dedicated monitor

I might be tempted by a stage or player into a powered Kabinet, but otherwise no.

I had some nice tube amps Mesa, ENGL, Marshall, Blackstar etc. etc. When I got my Kemper, I saw no need for them and comparing them, found the Kemper superior for getting the sound to a P.A. or Recording desk. I sold them all except for my vintage collector stuff. For the following years, whenever amp G.A.S.would manifest, I cancel it by knowing I can just get a profile of it somewhere.

his weekend I visited an excellent music store and heard this new hand wired 1 channel 20W all tube head from a very popular manufacturer with rave amp reviews on U Tube. (The salesman told me I had to hear it, that it was amazing) I played it, liked it a lot and thought I had to have one, even though I would likely just use it as a home studio toy.(1channel) Paid about $1,600.00 for it. Got it home and compared it to my Kemper. It wasn't the same at home and after getting used to it somewhat, I compared it A/B to the kemper that beat it in every way for doing the same types of sounds. There was nothing in that tube head I couldn't get or better with the Kemper. I returned it the same day.

To my Kemper: Sorry I strayed, The grass is not greener over there in boutique tube amp land and although I did a bad thing and don't deserve forgiveness, it made me love you more. I find I love the idea of a tube amp, but they are not superior by any means. My mistake really reestablished how great a Kemper is. It's no wonder you still see them on Pro stages where they could use any $4,000.00 amp they wanted.

The key question here is....has your Kemper forgiven you for this heinous crime or is it still sulking?

In all seriousness this highlights a few problems aspects to me:

1) I rarely gell with any amp immediately and trying in a shop never gives a good account - most amps I've bought have been based upon reviews and the type of sound I am trying to get. In a shop it gives you an idea but until you really play with it you don't know. For me it takes time to get used to the sound to then decide if I like it. This makes buying amps always difficult so your above account is not surprising to me...been there dude!

2) Convenience is such a huge element to me - a one stop shop for everything I'll ever need

3) Not only can I not pick out the difference between a Kemper and a real amp, I don't think I play well enough to make use of any difference. Its a bit like upgrading the suspension on your car, whilst it will make some difference to me day to day, its only a true racing driver on a circuit will be able to exploit that full potential....and I'm ok with that.

I don't know that this is true.

I'm only really stating the criticisms on this forum. I think the comments so often were that once you start tweaking, it doesn't sound like the original amp. Many of us said " so what", but for some people it was important - there seemed to be 2 very clear camps on this subject.

So I think its true, but I might be missing your point and it is of course purely anecdotal :)

IMO the OP made a valid point. LP is not actually that momentous, interesting or useful or much of an improvement over what was available prior to that. It did generate some buzz and new/renewed interest which is good for Kemper business. The hype on this forum regarding LP was not based on any thing tangible. It was mostly overblown nonsense. I would suggest that the OP reset expectations. LP is not momentous, game changing or any other platitude you may choose. The high expectations were never warranted, so understand it for what it is

For some people it was a game changer, for others ( like me) I've not been that bothered. CK I think himself didn't see the need for it but did it because it was one of the "criticisms" of profiles vs modelling and many people were asking for it. It also seemed to do what it set out to do successfully...so it is momentous IF you need the profiles to respond to changes as per the original amp. For some of us that's not necessary, for others they think its essential.

It was a tangible change and a response to the request that had been made for many years, so even if you and I don't see much value, I think many people do.

Thank you All. I set up a few. Am I correct in assuming that the stomps dont display in Performance like they do in Browse mode? One just has to know Red is Distortion, Blue is chorus etc and click them on and off? I kind of like to see what effects I have attached to the rig as you can in the browse mode. Thank you again

If you mean do they display the same on the remote, Im not 100% because I've never used browse mode on the remote. However, I think that even if it does, on stage in the heat of a gig, using the colours is quicker and easier IMO.

Also you can change the display to show different views ( type a, B and C I think) - this is all from memory so someone else can correct me here.

Another trick I use is if its a specific set of of effects for a song, on a rare occasion I will use a slot specific to that song because I usually only use 3 or 4 slots so I have a spare. As an example, I play in a tribute band to The Cult and I can a clean sound, a rhythm sound based upon their Electric album ( more stripped back), Rhythm based around the Love album ( jaggly and cleaner) and a solo sound. That leaves me 1 slot free which I use for the iconic intro to She Sells Sanctuary. That way I only add a bit of Chorus on certain parts so it reduces my tap dancing significantly.

Performance mode is totally for live and for me dead easy to both set up and use.

I use it exactly as you suggest, 1 slot for clean, etc - just like a multi channel amp. You can then add whatever effects as either on or to switch in and out as a stomp - so yes as you describe OR you can also switch multiple effects on as a combination stomp...lots of possibilities.

Also, Morph is very useful as it adds another element. For example for my main rhythm I have a bit of additional volume and gain for riffs (which is a touch lower in volume than my solo sound but just gives a bit of a push).

Dead easy to set up - choose a performance, name it ( in case you want more - I have different performances for different bands), find a clean sound you want, copy to whichever slot in the performance and save. From that point ( as mentioned above) that profile is now saved as a separate version and so you can name it, tweak it, add effects ( and then resave) without affecting the original profile...and done! Now repeat for all other slots you want.

Its really straight forward, the biggest issue is deciding on what profiles you want and sounds in which slots :).

At the end, you can then balance the volumes to how you like it and then switch seamlessly from Clean ( which might be slot 1) to Solo hi gain ( which might be slot 5). If you name the slots to match this as well its second nature.

Let us know if you get stuck!

Maybe so, but I'm no pro who's gonna mess around with my expensive Custom an Standard Les Pauls! (yes: Plural!) And you're talking about a tiny mod. For me, every change is a big modification to these fine instruments...

Having split coils is not a pro mod, not very invasive at and all its all reversible. The only cost is a pickup and push pull pot.

If you do not wish to play a strat to get strat sounds, then this is the only thing that will help you get closer as you will struggle to make a Les Paul sound like a strat - hence why both exist. Just trying to adjust the profile and eq will be very difficult, with limited success..

However, I also agree that split coils will not transform your guitar into a Strat, it will just get you closer.

To all of you: great suggestions!! :) :thumbup:.

I notice however that some go from a single coil strat or tele. I've found the TD-Jimi Hendrix-2020-11-11 12-35-02 krig in that Tribute Collection 1 and tried this one first with my Les Paul with incl. that Octa Shaper + Phaser Vibe...Rolled treble down and the result is quite amazing!! Il'l tweak a bit more but it's a great rig now!

Don: I allready tried that Tone pot down but the result was not spectacular. Maybe due to my Les Paul humbuckers?

Anyway, to all of you: Thank you so much! :) :)

So the song if I'm not mistaken is Red Hot Chili peppers and John Fruscanti has a very Hendrix sound in general. This comes from his Strat as a starting point and unsurprisingly he goes into a Marshall. According to Google he uses a Boss turbo distortion and Big Muff.

So the sound to me is his Marshall on the edge of breakup, big Muff to give a big of old school fizz, with his neck pickup or position 4 on his strat. I would use a cleanish marhsall sound with a bit of Kemper fuzz, but you need that start neck pickup element.

I think you have raised a similar thing before where you are trying to get a single coil sound from your Les Paul.

If this is a common problem for you, either get a start as a second guitar or I would suggest getting a humbucker with a split coil and using a push pull pot to keep things tidy. Whilst this will never sound the same as a Strat, it will get you a bit closer and should not be too expensive.

I am a bit surprised this is not a bigger discussion. But I also understand, that having an authorized repair network is a big effort.

But, perhaps, there are plant to have network of licensed or recommended repair centers? Dear Kemper, do you have any plans for that? ;)

TBH I think its because there aren't that many hardware issues - I'm in my 9th year of Kemper ownership and the only issue I had was my ethernet port and I don;t think I'm an edge case.

Kemper provided the part number so I could get it repaired locally BUT I would feel more comfortable if there was a centre in the UK in case of any issues.

My personal view is that this is definitely a significant factor...