Posts by V8guitar

Hmmm, happy to be proved wrong but I'm not sure pickups make that much difference, I think its more subtle. Yes a 60's single coil will sound nothing like an EMG 81 but the difference between a Seymour Blackout's...I change my pickups more for those subtle changes ( bit more drive usually) but driving a cranked amp as volume?

I think this is the difference...care and attention. I suspect I loosened mine because its in a rack and you have to prod around a bit ;)

I think you raise a very interesting observation that few pure guitarists ( I mean people who don't have a good knowledge of sound engineering as well) realize the affects of both different signal chains and volume have on the sound.

Because the Kemper is a unit that does both and gives the consistent output, we are exposed directly to those variants.

I've learnt a lot since having the KPA as a result :)

"A complete signal chain comprising amplifier, guitar cabinet and potentially multiple effects is called a “Rig”." (first line of the manual, oops)

Hey, we all miss stuff.

I always think of the Profile as just the amp and cab and the rig is with any effects ( in my simple brain), but peopel will use the terms fairly interachangeably :)

Is this issue super common then?
    Just got my Profiler Toaster and want to prolong it as much as I can.
    I don't move it much but I will eventually want to take it to a practice. Any tips?

Personally, avoid plugging and unplugging it. I had mine plugged in for 7 years, never an issue. I decided I wanted to have a rack port and managed to loosen mine up where I have to give it a jiggle now. BTW, this is the rack/toaster end. No issues with the remote which I do plug and unplug every gig.

To be fair its the only issue I've had with mine in nearly 8 years, so I'm not going to grumble too much :)

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the ethernet port? Is it just standard? I have the same ethernet port problem on my Powered toaster everyone else seems to have in that is real loose and disconnects the pedalboard sometimes. I have wired ethernet ports before. Is it just a standard jack or are there some additional buffer chips or something also. I am thinking about doing the mod myself.

Write to support, I had this issue and they explained the part to replace etc. but they said it is a standard ethernet port f I remember correctly

Hehe. Great topics to avoid.

I'm not. I'm not in a band either. As Frank Turner said "The musicians who lack the friends to form a band...", except that's only partly true. It's only Guitarists and Bassists I know! I know a chap in a MUSE tribiute though, Hullabaloo.
    I'd love to be in a casual band though, just to jam a few times a month.

Coolio!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Deep into it, and no looking back. I'll try and post any further questions in the appropriate thread.

?

Welcome dude.

1 tip from me, make the Kemper as complex as you want. In other words, I don't tweak much, I treat it as plug and play. If you like deep editing and refinement, great, but much of the sound out of the box should be 90% there.

So:

1) Backup what you have

2) Do a factory reset - why not and best to do this before you invest heavily in "fiddling"

3) Connect to RM so you can easily see the settings

4) Try to find a good quality Rig to baseline your sound

5) Build from there

If you are still not getting good sound, then its possibly your monitoring/signal chain.

I think its easy to get caught up in trying to e.q. out a problem that is in the base settings.

I use mine live just like a regular amp, with added flex.

There hasn't been any animosity yet :')
    Helpful folk which is always nice to see on the internet. Kab is awaiting shipping from Kemper

Give it time...raise a discussion on the Quad cortex, Kemper2 or RM stability :)

Most people on here are nice and helpful...except me, I'm horrible!

Are you in a MUSE tribute? Im in a CULT tribute....

Your English is actually very good. We like humour so we will try to laugh with you :)

Im 53 with no hair :)

My back is in much better condition as a result of the Kemper.

Welcome!!!

Assuming you use this with a passive cab, using the red speaker output to your cab:

1) Main volume isn't a factory setting, its the value you last left it at. So you turn that up to taste. The watt meter will show how much you are pulling. You should find ear splitting volume at 20 to 50 watts. If not, there is an issue somewhere in the settings

2) Power amp - at that level you should get plenty of power but no reason why you can't increase it.

3) unlink your volumes

As said, there should be plenty of volume and headroom from the 600 watt internal amp.

Not necessarily useful for me although if it was there I might use it :).

It should be possible as I think some of the effects already can get you close - isn't there an infinite setting in some of the delays? I don;t use them much so I can't remember

Even so, having it in a virtual pedal would be cool.

+1

My top tips are basically the same:

1) Make sure you have the -12db ticked to avoid frying the desk or reduce your output volume

2) Unlink your volumes, so you can control your on stage with no impact to the desk feed

3) Sort as much as you can at home prior and be clear on the main settings. So be ready for the xlr lead from the engineer so you know where you are plugging in and its already set to master mono. Play with switching your sounds, make sure they are balanced etc.

4) Sort the FOH sound first and check engineer is happy. He can feed you monitor signal worst case. Then sort your on stage.

5) Allow a bit more set up time. Tell the engineer its a new set up and that you'd like to plug in early to check everything.

Its probably too late now but I would also have auditioned the sounds via an FRFR speaker at volume as the sound from your Kabinet will be different.

In general though, its relatively straight forward. As long as you get a good sound, then you can tweak later. Don't let a new set up stress you out or ruin the show.

One of my first times out, it sounded different to what I thought it was in my head. I stressed the whole gig, only to be told by the engineer what a great sound I had, so I had stressed myself out for nothing - no-one ever told me that when I had my valve amp!!! Also unless your sound is dreadful, no one will really know, but they will know if you are stressed i.e. keep it in context!

Oh, one other thing - ROCK OUT!!!!!

Not as much lag as guitarists that have to switch off three pedals, then switch two others on and fiddle with their volume pedals. ;)

Really the lag is negligeble. Perhaps 0,3 seconds. The big lag is in the display, and i never look at that while playing. It’s never been an issue for me.

I think you miss the point. You don't need them in a performance, you can just select from midi and saves loading. I suspect ( not that its an issue) that you are not using performances in the way they were designed/intended, hence why I asked the question of putting all your rhythm sound sin one performance.

Anyway, as you use midi yes I can see you can switch between performances without scrolling, makes sense now.

I certainly don't have to switch off 3 pedals or mess around with volume pedals but then I don't use/need external pedals. I also moved to the remote as other switchers were imprecise - particularly if I accidentally clipped 2 pedals, it would freeze, but hey whatever works for you.

I also came from rack gear ( well back in the 80's) but a trimmed down.