Posts by V8guitar

As mentioned, that is what "monitor cab off" is for. I use a Kabinet in this config so totally works. Also unlink your volumes ( which I assume you have if you've been doing it for years).

This is the most common problem faced by everyone - you want same sound as FOH but it never sounds " as good".

This what the Kabinet is designed for - to fill that "gap", which is also incredibly small and light (powered one is prob heavier and avoids the need of a separate power amp).

At the risk of overstating the obvious, with a Kemper the profile is everything.

For the record, I couldn't pick a chicken out of a police lineup, so I'm personally pretty useless to you in this regard. However, there are a lot of guys here and I'm confident that many of them need high headroom, uncompressed tones at high volume, so they can recommend some profiles that might get you closer to what you're wanting to hear.

Hope this helps!

You made the point better than I could...

There is either something wrong in your set up or its not volume but cut that is the issue.

Not sure what there is to clarify.

Main and monitor out are line levels out, speaker out is a powered output. A Pad is on there ( as is the volume) to attenuate/control the output levels, so it makes sense to have that control at a line level.

It makes less sense to have power boost on the non powered versions to me but hey...

I am still of the firm belief that within the top end digital guitar processors (Kemper, AxeFx III, Helix, QC) all of them are within spitting distance with respect to having the ability to have a good library of tones. I have always thought simply trying to sound exactly like the amp you profiled was seriously over-rated. Sure, closer is better, but at the end of the day, if you can get great tone that lies well in the mix, does it really matter how close it is to the original tube amp? I personally don't think so.

What does matter, is how easy it is to create a set of usable tones for your purposes and be able to deploy them live (for me at least). Having a great volume of free and commercial profiles, having a system capable of easily tweaking a profile to your liking quickly, and having a bullet proof system that is gig friendly (# buttons, button spacing, readability, durability, easy to deploy live, single cable to FC on stage, etc, etc) are all things that QC currently lacks compared to the other 3 competitors.

I could not agree more! Well said...all great units, QC is unsurprisingly a bit behind as the newcomer but will catch up....my friend who has a Helix has said that a recent update for him has meant that he can get rid of his drop pedal because the Helix has a better transpose functionality now - now on a closer par with the KPA...

I guess the QC wasn't quite the Kemper Slayer people talked about.

TBH its great to hear the honesty on here and hence why I love this forum. There is less hype/bias than elsewhere and I always said I would wait to see what you guys thought.

I think the QC will grow and continue to be a great unit, but its got a few years of R+D to catch up, regardless of its machine learning and muli instrument and pedal capture.

My understanding is that the powered output IS for use as a monitor out. If you are powering Kones with it, only the Monitor Out offers the Kone mode DSP processing => that assumption is correct.

Nope...just tested it. No effect, which makes sense to me. The output levels to speaker, monitor out and main out are independant. Monitor and main eitehr go to a desk or powered output so input levels make sense. No need to pad a power amp...

300 watts would also blow that 70W rated speaker.

No one has mentioned the output section settings which typically involve a pad setting (volume cut - default is 12 dB pad (cut) which is a lot) for the Monitor Out.

It is possible by adjusting this setting to boost the Monitor Out levels considerably (so that they are louder at the same settings on the front volume control) and also to see a meter showing the current power level which is an aid to protecting your speaker from overload.

Erm because its a powered Kemper. The pad setting doesn't apply to the speaker out I don;t think, only to the monitor out.

When i run my Powerrack into my Kabinet with power boost not even on full, I cannot get above 50 watts without physical pain. It will easily keep up with a Marshall 100w head..

So I struggle to believe that the built in amp is not sufficient for anyone, regardless of ohmage/wattage variables.

Therefore, there is something wrong here.

I assume you've checked your power boost setting and its on maximum.

New arrival last week. After a bit of TLC adjusting the truss rod and setting the trem correctly then tweaking action and intonation it is playing like a dream. Some uneven frets so will level and dress them next time I change strings to get it absolutely tip top.

This is quite probably THE most comfortable neck I have EVER played. It is just amazing!!!

Tone for days too.

I think the musicman guitars are so underated. I have been on the look out for a Purple axis for years. I have a Sterling version which is pretty good, but having played an axis, you can tell the difference.

Good choice my friend!

I tried a passive Mission Gemini 1x12 that belonged to a previous guitarist in my band, and I didn't like it at all. Maybe there was some setting that I just didn't have right, but it actually sounded worse than going direct into one of our Alto powered 12" PA speakers (which I think Headrush FRFRs are based on). And I was using a Helix at the time. But compared to going into my PS170 and v30 cab, it sounded awful. (yes, I had the cab block on the Helix enabled when I tried the Gemini, and disabled when going through my real cab. I know someone would ask if I didn't say it ?)

What I have learned is that all monitors sound different and you have to tweak everything for each monitor....which is odd because you expect FRFR to be a good baseline, but as we have all found they are not the same.

Not saying the Mission Gemini is good or bad but I think with every monitor you almost have to start again to get a true view - which none of us have time to do :)

There are very few amps that sound good at low volume as they are not designed for that. Unless you go for a dedicated low volume solution then a 12" speaker run by an xx Watt amp will always sound different/substandard.

The KPA takes out 1 issue - no power amp colouration required to run it "hot" to get that sound. Doesn;t solve issues but for me make the KPA sound pretty good at low volume.

"Sounds digital" has been a derogatory term used in guitar circles for many years, meaning " sounds fizzy/thin/weedy" etc. This is of course out of date but not worth getting excited about.

Thanks everyone for such a warm and fuzzy welcome! I will definitely oblige V8guitar and ST’s advice - I’m at a new band meeting tomorrow night to run some tracks and maybe melt a few faces. Or look like a total chump! Either way, it’s do or die because, as I said to the wife, “I ain’t just spent £100 on a new pedal not to play it”… ;)

Hope it goes well dude. New gear can be daunting so hence get some basic sounds and build from there.

I assume your wife is not daft enough to think that something with such pretty lights is £100... :)

I just started using EMG active pickups on a high gain profile for a hair metal gig we are doing. im just practicing at a room level right now and The input hits red every once in while, I adjusted the clean sense to about -2 and the clipping went away. i really can't tell tell if it effects the gain/distortion, but, my ears do play tricks on me sometime and I dont wanna get on stage and crank it up and get a bad sound. Am I adjusting the right thing? or is there a different way to go about this?

Thanks.

A bit of red on the input is ok, its if its consistant there is a probelm....are you actually hearing clipping or just worried that it is?

The other point is....hair metal? I play in a hair metal covers band!! Nice one!

Got it...I sort of go the other way with it, I work on getting the tone I want with a real cabinet and never go FOH through the Kemper. I insist on the sound guy micing my cabinet instead. Plus some of my profiles are DI, so FOH is not an option.

And its a viable approach but I think you are really missing out.

This is what I used to do for the first 6 months I had my Kemper, but one of the best things for me is consistent FOH - no messing with mic placement etc and decoupling on stage sound with FOH.

My line check consists of plug in xlr, hit a chord, sound guy goes " great". I can change my on stage volume independent of FOH, assuming little bleed from the backline. Plus it removes a significant sound aspect of mic placement as a variable - so the sound you hear on stage is pretty close to that FOH. Yours isn;t because of the Mic issue. Given that I think FOH should take priority, its why I do it ( and the KPA is really based around) doing it the way I do.

Its a small change but personally its had a bigger impact than I expected, especially at festivals with a quick change around and I have to use supplied cabs. Takes those cabs out of the equation.

Anyway, one of the great things with the KPA is we have this choice!!!

I use a powerhead with a real guitar cabinet V30s. I sometimes shut off the Kemper power and use the SD 170 instead which still sounds very similar to the power supply on the Kemper powerhead. If I use a tube poweramp with that same V30 setup, its a totally different ball game, but again many profiles do sound the same. If I use an FRFR speaker with the Kemper power section, that adds yet another huge change in tone to what the same profile sounded like the other way around. Many options to be had with the Kemper.

...which is exactly what happened when I switched to FRFR from a Guitar cab....totally showed up crap profiles. This was replicated FOH.

So its great to have a fab on stage sound, but no point if FOH sounds crap. Hence I worked to get my FRFR sound and the Kabinet adds something to sound better as a monitor without masking duff profiles.