Posts by V8guitar

So, it’s like that cliché: “there are two kinds of people….” When I had the Fractal AX8 and loved its tones… but every time I went to a music store and passed those display cases of all those shiny, colorful pedals… I got jealous and felt I was missing something—that whole experience. So, now I have a hybrid approach. Which costs money, but I think it’s the best of both worlds.

I totally get your points and they are very honest/self aware and I think drives GAS. I equate it to - I recently bought an RC car and I send as much time fixing/upgrading as I do driving it...because that is part of the fun.

I've never had that with pedals, and used to have this with amps to some degree.

I'm lucky in that I've stopped tone hunting ( in actual fact I've reduced, not fully stopped).

Just recently watched a George Lynch vid where he goes through his amp collection. 2 things struck me:

1) I started to get a bit of "ohh I wonder what that amp is like" to the point of I looked on Ebay, albeit with no real intention of buying

2) He said every amp was great and whilst I accept different amps for different uses, so many seemed "amazing" for a similar sound.....so why did he have all of them? GAS/tone hunting....and I realised that I'm glad I don't have that as much but as per my point one, we can all be tempted :)

Listening to this since someone may bring over a Zakk Wylde JCM next week.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This is my funeral song....its in my all time top 10!

I have not tried that. I just didnt feel the need to purchase an expression pedal to use for nothing else but a wah when I already have one.

Get what you are saying but there are some advantages of using the KPA Wah:

1) Less cables

2) More flex in the sound

3) Less noise

4) Less/no tone suck

5) Touch wah - no clicking on and off ( which I hate - the amount of times you go into a solo, click the wah on, realise its not on try again and then lost my place in the solo, finally pull it together, solo over).

I bought a used crybaby for £30, did the conversion, and boom. There are other controllers that are cheap - I use Moog EP-3 for volume which would work for wah, although I prefer the feel of the crybaby.

Interesting request!

Personally I have so many other tone sculpting options that it would be another thing for me to get confused on BUT if it results in better sound then sounds good.

Conversely, I like the end to end mimic that is a simple process without having to necessarily understand the chain involved.

True but you can only turn the knobs so far on the profile before it sounds bad. I can turn the knobs on my Rockerverb all I want and it still sounds like my Rockerverb.

Hmm, not sure I fully agree.

What I'm trying to say is that of course they stop being in sync on how they sound as you turn the knobs but its not definitively good or bad,

Conversely not all amps sound good at their extremes.

Try what works for you but I use mine in the pre effects section.

No point having 2 on, mine is silent even on very gained profiles.

Make sure you are careful how to set the threshold and feedback should still be obtainable.

Note: Its a stomp effect so if you are struggling getting musical feedback, you can temporarily switch it off...

Wow!

Good news, Kemper support is the best!

I don't miss valve amps at all.

The Kemper gives me:

1) One stop solution for effects etc

2) Near infinite sound options. I truly believe if it doesn't sound good, its how its set up - ergo its me/user error :)

3) compliments on my sound that I've never had

4) The simplest set up I've ever had, sound checks are a breeze

Its the only piece of equipment that has cured my amp GAS

Use main out via XLR to the desk ( whether that's via another mixer, doesn't matter, that's your main feed) ( use master mono I think). Speaker out to your guitar cab as the powered output.

Make sure your volumes aren't linked so you can turn up your guitar cab sound without affecting the signal strength to the desk. also pad your output to main with the -12db soft button.

Silly question - what effect does the clock battery have on operation? Does it stop the KPA working???

Having had mine for nearly 7 years, I want to make sure its not a ticking time bomb :)

Do you guys have that same journey sifting through 100's of sounds?

Simplistic answer is yes. One of the issues with the KPA is the amount of options.

My personal view is:

1) Looks for amps you like or think you would like to narrow your search

2) Try something, if you like it, save it. If you don;t, move on. In other words limit your time on tweaking, certainly initially.

3) go back to the sounds you down selected and re-listen - you will surprised at how different they sound

4) Always check your sounds how you intend to use them i.e. profiles sound very different at live gig volume

I found myself challenging the sounds I thought I liked...

Have fun!

But that can be a good thing not necessarily a bad thing. It's all about tone. The audience doesn't care what amp you are using or trying to sound like. They just want you to sound good. Heck, I don't even care what amp or profile you are using. Just make it sound good. Then, I might want to know to be able to copy you. ;)

This is so important.

The profile is the base and the start. The KPA can change those sounds beyond the capability of the original amp. Also most of the AMP behaviours are not designed in but by products of their construction. The KPA has the advantage ( I think) that the changes you make are linear rather than interactive so you have more control.

I don;t care if it mimics an ENGL in every turn of the dial. I care that the initial sound is great and I can make the changes I want without the idiosyncrasies of the original. Yes I might miss a sweet spot but in most cases its there, just requires different turns of the dial.

If support can;t help you, unfortunately its unlikely we can, as they know the KPA better than anyone on here.

sounds like you've tried everything like:

Properly formatted stick

Different sticks

You could set the file structure manually and add the upgrade file directly but sounds like the KPA isn't reading it anyway.

I presume you've tried hard resets but you'll lose your data unless you copy to RM and minimise loss.

That is not a hardware issue! The polarity must have been screwed in your settings. The KEMPER switches are normally open and the PROFILER expects switches normally open.

In earlier sofwtare versions it was possible to change the polarity. If the PROFILER thinks your switch is normally closed, while it is normally open, this has exactly the effect you are describing.

I suggest you use current OS and press Init Globals which should realign the settings.

Ahhh, fab, thank you! I'm not surprised its user error!!